So a lot of you have probably listened to Van Halen's new album, and may have noticed how their sound has gone from classic rock, to more heavy metal. What do you thing about this? Do you think that they should have done what Bon Jovi did by maturing their music along with their fans maturing? (They went from classic rock, and when that generation of fans matured in their music tastes, so did they.) Or do you think they were smart to have a newer sound to appeal to the newer crowd? Do you think they left their true fans in the dust with this new sound?
Basically in my opinion? They are exploring new areas, new effects, new tunings, but still maintaining their classic "VH" feel to them. I absolutely love the album and im just a 17 year old kid who loves the 1984 album just as much if not more. But the fact that they pulled off moving into different stuff without totally blowing it up into crap, is highly respectable. Older bands, when they come back and try to make it again, don't really make it.. they usually come out like Brett Favre. Big Talk but they really should have stopped a long time ago...

Thats just my opinion. I think they did great!
Going to see them in Chicago the 24th!
98' Peavey Wolfgang Special USA "Pat Pend"
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender Stickered Pinecaster Tele
Kramer 5150 Replica-GFS VEH
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
I agree with you. It is very cool how they can explore all new genres of music and still rock. I'm a fifteen year old guitarist and I fell in love with their music a year ago (roughly). I am actually going to their concert soon.
I heard "Tattoo" and "You and Your Blues" on the radio....and it was crap in my opinion. I really hated it.

Granted, I'm not much of a fan of old Van Halen either.

My dad thought the songs were garbage as well. He even said "They should be ashamed of themselves for putting that out".

Totally not trolling, believe me!
I think Van Halen is trying to be themselves honestly. Since the singer changed from DLR, to Sammy Hagar, then to DLR again, previous are either tired of the switch, or just bored from his music; the last album being released in mid 90's I believe, and that was just a greatest hits. That being said, people who listen to contemporary rock would have a varied opinion on his music, and those who used to listen to I imagine would have the same effect. I thought the guitar was great in the album, as usual, but DLR vocals are just not... good... really, not good at all. But that never stopped Brian Johnson! So, it all depends on where you stand. I love Van Halen, and I support it, even though I'm addicted to the album.
Quote by RamblinMan2450
I think Van Halen is trying to be themselves honestly. Since the singer changed from DLR, to Sammy Hagar, then to DLR again, previous are either tired of the switch, or just bored from his music; the last album being released in mid 90's I believe, and that was just a greatest hits. That being said, people who listen to contemporary rock would have a varied opinion on his music, and those who used to listen to I imagine would have the same effect. I thought the guitar was great in the album, as usual, but DLR vocals are just not... good... really, not good at all. But that never stopped Brian Johnson! So, it all depends on where you stand. I love Van Halen, and I support it, even though I'm addicted to the album.

I saw them last night and Roth sucked. The rest of the band was pretty good. Alex was a little off, though. Ed seemed much improved and Wolfgang is really solid on bass and backing vocals. Roth just pissed me off and I'm not a homer for Van Hagar.
EBMM Axis Black Cherry Burst
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
Quote by MrBhopps
So a lot of you have probably listened to Van Halen's new album, and may have noticed how their sound has gone from classic rock, to more heavy metal. What do you thing about this? Do you think that they should have done what Bon Jovi did by maturing their music along with their fans maturing? (They went from classic rock, and when that generation of fans matured in their music tastes, so did they.) Or do you think they were smart to have a newer sound to appeal to the newer crowd? Do you think they left their true fans in the dust with this new sound?

ummm... dude when they first came out they were considered metal and of course "classic rock" was the stuff from the 50s. the new sound really isn't new at all it's just eddie is playing way more guitar without the keyboards he was using. his sound is pretty much the same one he had in the post dave VH. he is using his EVH gear whish is voiced different than the VH 1 sound (pity as i really loved that tone). VH sound like VH (of course some of those songs have been around since the early days). not bad at all.