Hey guys. I'm mainly a guitarist, but I'm interested in getting a bass to mess around with. This will also be used live by my band's bassist (he only has one and we use 2 different tunings, so i might as well get one for the both of us), in a pop punk band (Drop D [guess tuning doesn't matter much]). I really like the Jazz bass shape. always thought they looked really good, but I'm no bassist. hoping you guys can help me out here.

Run-down:

4 string
$300 budget
pop punk (think The Wonder Years and Set Your Goals-ish)
(preferably) Jazz shape, but open to LOADS of suggestions

and that's pretty much it. probably gonna buy new since we do need it pretty quick for shows coming up. and that's about it, really.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
pop punk.

go danelectro and call your band the sex bob-oms

Im sorry.

or a serious note, try some of the squier basses out, some of them can be really nice, and you play pop punk, so you can trash the thing and not care because its not a $4000 bass.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz or Classic Vibe Jazz (the CV is just a tad more expensive). Fits the bill perfectly, and you won't find a better Jazz in that price range.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by CurbstompBass
The Vintage Modified Jazz is a great bass.

i concur. i own one and love it, more than my fender.
I'd try all kinds of basses especially it's brother the P, or look into a used mark hoppus bass, Jazz basses are great, but he might prefer a P bass sound, and that matters more than look.

Also Dano long horn would be crazy cool fun as well.
Vintage modified Jazz bass, I'm pretty sure the guy in SYG uses a jazz. On their earliest stuff, the dude from TWY used a Stringray, but he uses a jazz now, if I'm not mistaken.

But, go out and play as many basses as you can. The Vintage Modified P might just be up your ally, more so than a jazz. Only you can decide.
Ah... "stuff that's been labeled as pop punk since 2007" pop punk.

Haha, sorry... i've been playing various flavors of "Pop" and "Punk" since the mid-90's.

That said, i tend to dig MOST of the trends in the genre... shoot, i saw Man Overboard last night!

Anywho, with this since-2007-pop-punk a LOT of bassists are actually NOT using the old standby Fender P's and J's... I play LOTS of fests... SXSW, Insubordination, Riot, SF Pop-Fest, CMJ, Gainesville Fest, Dude Fest, Best Friends Day... so i get to see a lot of bands. Since i'm a bass dork, i make little mental notes (and full-on essays on 'other' bass guitar forums) on trends and what i've seen. And actually, from what i've seen, the most predominant bass being used by "those" pop punk bands are EBMM Stingrays.

Now, $300 wont get you an EBMM Stingray... but it COULD get you an Ibanez ATK, a Sterling By Music Man Stingray, a Music Man SUB Bass, or a used OLP.

I've had a 1995 Ibanez ATK300 since 2000, and i love that bass. I've played many "single humbucker" basses, and i've always preferred the ATK to any of the Stingray types.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Last edited by Din of Win at Feb 17, 2012,
Quote by Din of Win
Ah... "stuff that's been labeled as pop punk since 2007" pop punk.

"Bro-Core"
I'm not sure how much you need a different bass to go to Drop D; learn to do it by ear, or get a tuner pedal, or just keep a tuner on hand. It'd probably be faster than switching, really.
Quote by herby190
I'm not sure how much you need a different bass to go to Drop D; learn to do it by ear, or get a tuner pedal, or just keep a tuner on hand. It'd probably be faster than switching, really.

Or a hipshot D-tuner.