So I believe it's about time for me to upgrade my amp. I currently have a 15W Peavey Vypyr. I really enjoyed my time with this amp, I bought it when I first started playing guitar. I can get a lot of different sounds out of it without having to have a whole bunch of extra hardware which I love.

Now I honestly don't have a lot of experience with other amps, I know most of you guys will tell me to go out and try some and see what I like but I am asking for YOUR opinions here. I play a lot of classic rock, metal (Megadeth mainly), some newer heavy stuff, I also enjoy playing RHCP type stuff aswell. I'm also currently trying my hand at writing some of my own music. For me, guitar is a hobby, however, I do spend a lot of time on it. I'm not in a band or anything and I don't plan to be either. so an amp that can sound good at bedroom levels is essential for me.

As for price, I'm not looking to pay out the ass for it. The most I would like to spend is 800 and even then I'll probably cringe a little bit when I hit that submit order button. I have been leaning towards tube amps though.

Anyway, if you guys need more info I'll be glad to give it to you. Otherwise, fire away!
i think a Egnater Rebel 20 or 30 would be a good option. very very flexible amps. not overly expensive and very reliable. i owned their 'big brother' the renegade for around a year. they are great amps.

you get the option of reducing wattage down to one watt (which isn't as cool as it seems, but you can), the blend two pairs of tubes, you can blend between more American tone to more British.

sounds great. can get thick leads, would need a tube screamer for metal likely, not positive, but an OD is always a good thing to have around. it also has very nice cleans.

can't beat it for the price IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yep, go and try the Rebel, I've only read and heard great things about it.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
so many options...a 5150 combo would be the most logical and economical.

But if you go used there is alot you can get with $800.

You could buy a 2x12 and an Orange Dark Terror, Ampeg VH, Baron Snott Watt is a great low wattage amp.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Thanks for the responses. So I have been shopping around quite a bit and I think I've finally landed on one that I will like.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--JETJCA2012HS

I think through all my research I've decided I don't really need an expensive amp for my needs. I love playing guitar and I want my amp to be a good quality one but I also have plenty of other things I need to spend my hard earned cash on. However I'm not completely set on this as of yet. I was also looking at the JCA22H which for the most part seems like its pretty much the same thing but with an added channel. Is it worth the extra 100 bucks? Also does anyone know anything about the cab in the link above? is it serviceable?

Note: I'm not sure but I think that I will be needing some pedals to get into the heavier metal stuff, would anyone like to recommend some? I know next to nothing about pedals.

Edit: Just stumbled upon this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/krank-rev-jr-standard-20w-tube-guitar-amp-head

Anyone have any insight on these amps? looks simple and has the kind of metal tone im looking for.
Last edited by kmoe at Feb 21, 2012,
Others mentioned the Rebel. You like RHCP. I nailed (and I mean NAILED) the Snow Hey Oh tone on my rebel 30 using the bright switch and a bit of eq fiddling.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Others mentioned the Rebel. You like RHCP. I nailed (and I mean NAILED) the Snow Hey Oh tone on my rebel 30 using the bright switch and a bit of eq fiddling.

I do like to play some RHCP, but that is about the lightest I go in terms of sound. I spend most of my time playing thrash metal stuff (Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, etc..) are you able to get those sounds out of it?. I have read a lot about the Rebel, it sounds like a fantastic amp. Judging by the videos I've watched it can do cleans beautifully but from what i hear its a little bit thin which is fine, i suppose i could buy a pedal to get the metal tones i want out out of it. But if its possible I'd like to avoid buy a bunch of extra hardware.
Quote by kmoe
I do like to play some RHCP, but that is about the lightest I go in terms of sound. I spend most of my time playing thrash metal stuff (Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, etc..) are you able to get those sounds out of it?. I have read a lot about the Rebel, it sounds like a fantastic amp. Judging by the videos I've watched it can do cleans beautifully but from what i hear its a little bit thin which is fine, i suppose i could buy a pedal to get the metal tones i want out out of it. But if its possible I'd like to avoid buy a bunch of extra hardware.

It has lush cleans and a good amount of gain on tap but you'd be really pushing the amount of "gain headroom" it has if you're playing metal most of the time. I got a decent tone for Master of Puppets but it's not really suited for metal.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
but it's not really suited for metal.

That is exactly what I've been reading about them. Honestly they sound fantastic it just isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Lets keep in mind here boys and girls, I'm coming from a little 15W Peavey Vypyr combo I've never owned another amp other than that one. So I'm new to the tube amps and I'm trying to read up as much as I can before I make a purchase.

So suggestions for a thrash metal tone that can do at least decent cleans are appreciated. If you suggest a head keep in mind that I don't have a cab or anything to pair it with, although I'm sure I can get one pretty cheap.

And just to reiterate I'm going to be using this for home use only. I don't need or want anything that will blow the doors off my house but I do understand that tube amps are louder and sound better when their cranked.
Last edited by kmoe at Feb 21, 2012,
Quote by kmoe
I was also looking at the JCA22H which for the most part seems like its pretty much the same thing but with an added channel. Is it worth the extra 100 bucks? Also does anyone know anything about the cab in the link above?
If you will be playing mainly metal, then yes it will be worth the extra $100. Much more gain and better voicing for heavy music. I don't care what people say, but I don't find the JCA20h good for any form of metal, with or without a boost. It just doesn't sound right. The 22h will get heavy easier, no boost pedal needed. Plus you'll be able to actually have a clean channel simultaneously.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
The 22h will get heavy easier, no boost pedal needed. Plus you'll be able to actually have a clean channel simultaneously.

Yeah, I was just looking at some videos comparing the two and it seems like the 22h is more what I'm looking for. I see that you have a Jet city 4x12 cab, how are they? I'll probably just be looking for a 1x12 though. Care to recommend any?
where are you located?

i honestly would recommend something from avatar or white box. they are a little expensive compared to JC, but you get a choice of quality speakers, and not the cheap POS speakers that came in the 2112RC i had for a few days.

i would say go 2x12", but a 1x12" would do you fine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm located in lincoln, NE. I checked out those brands since I've never heard of them.. I like the fact that its a build your own cab type of deal. the problem is that i know absolutely zero about speakers and such.. looks like ill be doing a whole bunch more reading.

Thanks for the suggestion
If your looking for any sort or metal/hard rock tone without messing about with pedals go for a Peavy 6505 combo. For the price I've yet to see anything that comes even remotely close straight out of the box. The cleans are a so/so but not the worst I've heard by a longshot. Its small enough to not be that loud but is loud enough for rehearsal or a small bar gig.

Every shop that stocks Peavy gear will have one, I would definitely go check one out before buying anything.
Quote by kmoe
Yeah, I was just looking at some videos comparing the two and it seems like the 22h is more what I'm looking for. I see that you have a Jet city 4x12 cab, how are they? I'll probably just be looking for a 1x12 though. Care to recommend any?
It's decent for what it is, and is probably the best sounding 4x12 (new) for the price compared to others I've played.

In the case of a cabinet, always go used for various reasons: you get much better for the money, the wood is more dried-out, the speakers are broken in, and in the case of cabs, you don't need all the warranty shit because there are no electrical components in the cab that are prone to failing.

Also, do get a 2x12 over a 1x12. It sounds better and you get better bass response and a "wider" overall sound. You'll be more satisfied.