All
I want to improve my rhythm playing and have two questions.

1. Can you list some guitar players whose style I should study?

2. I would love any other suggestions to improve rhythm playing whether it be drum machines or any other techniques, suggestions?

OH, I am pretty well versed with metal so please don't suggest any metal players. I want to join a cover band and need to start learning more non-metal music

Help would be appreciated

Woem
try any raggae artist to get used to emphasizing the off beat. I would also recommend studying pretty much any classic rock, like Thin Lizzy or better yet The Who, because they keep the rhythm fun by adding in little fills and not just playing four on the floor, straight eighth notes all the time. I hope that helps you.
Funk, reggae and The Who.
Pete Townsend was an awesome rythm player.
But I'd focus most on funk cos the rythm can get vey advanced in it and it's awesome practice.
Funk is where its at man. If you learn to play funk, you can play rhythm in practically any other genre. It requires you to play accurately, cleanly, and most of all...sparsely. I'd look at Eric Krasno from Soulive, any Tower of Power records (probably start with Bump City or Tower of Power, then look at Back to Oakland [not as good imo]). Also check out some John Scofield, Will Bernard, etc.

As for rock, any of the Frusciante era Chili Peppers is good rhythm playing. Really pay attention to how little he puts on top of Flea's bass lines, and how well it fills out the band. His playing really shines on Blood Sex Sugar Magic, and on much of Californication.

Dave Navarro knows what he's doing as well. Look at the album Strays by Jane's Addiction (the song 'Wrong Girl' is a highlight), or at One Hot Minute.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Quote by woem
All
I want to improve my rhythm playing and have two questions.

1. Can you list some guitar players whose style I should study?

2. I would love any other suggestions to improve rhythm playing whether it be drum machines or any other techniques, suggestions?

OH, I am pretty well versed with metal so please don't suggest any metal players. I want to join a cover band and need to start learning more non-metal music

Help would be appreciated

Woem

You should study the style of someone you enjoy, why else would you study them? Being well versed in many different things is all very well and good but if you don't like what you're playing then what's the point?

As for things to practice look at these:

Rhythm yardstick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sw_trDFJw8

"Modes" of rhythm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asYfvMzjk7M

Paul Gilbert on rhythm and drummers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As0qoBUvJnE
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
There are so many great rhythmic players out there, but the one I would recommend the most is Keith Richards. Study some of the Stones earlier stuff, songs like Brown Sugar or Monkey Man etc., notice how much emphasis he places on the 2nd and 4th beats.

Always use a metronome and get used to tapping your foot on the 2 and the 4.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.