Hello there people.
I just wanna know how well the pod hd compares to the vypyr tube when it comes to amp models and quality.. Effects too.. I've heard everyone say good things about both of em... But I want to know which one is better.. Forget about all the features like balanced and stereo outputs and stuff. Which one's USB interface is better? How good are they actually? Anyone who has used both, please comment.

Thanks.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
POD HD has better effects, hands down. There's way more, and there's way more flexibility.

As an amp though, The Vypyr Tube sounds way better. A lot of that has to due with the fact that the Vypyr is an actual amp, with an actual tube power section.

The POD sounds good, but when you actually put it next to an amp, it's kind of apparent which one is "real".
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Alright. Which signal chain would be better?

Guitar --> Vypyr Tube 60
Guitar --> POD HD --> PA --> Speakers
Guitar --> POD HD --> Keyboard Amp or Power Amp

And does the vypyr tube sound better than the pod hd (excluding the 'feel' part)?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
"Better" is subjective, try both units if you can. Failing that use Google and YouTube to hunt down as many demos and professional (unbiased) reviews as you can.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Saw a few videos and the pod hd rec sounds pretty close to the original rec... I love the rectifier. Its sweeeett. .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXBqYKzzH_I
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Feb 17, 2012,
Quote by amithkallupalam
Saw a few videos and the pod hd rec sounds pretty close to the original rec... I love the rectifier. Its sweeeett. .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXBqYKzzH_I

No it diesnt.

Trust me the HDs rec is way too bass heavy and muddy. Not too mention it feels way to compressed and saturated. It takes alot of work with the HD to get it to sound similar to the priginal amps. It does do a good job at getting the gost of an amp though.

Dont get me wrong the HD isnt bad, but compared to a real rec IME theres no experience. And I spend almost all my EQing time on the rec model too so its not like i dont try enough
Quote by Seanthesheep
No it diesnt.

Trust me the HDs rec is way too bass heavy and muddy. Not too mention it feels way to compressed and saturated. It takes alot of work with the HD to get it to sound similar to the priginal amps. It does do a good job at getting the gost of an amp though.

Dont get me wrong the HD isnt bad, but compared to a real rec IME theres no experience. And I spend almost all my EQing time on the rec model too so its not like i dont try enough

+1

I have yet to dial in a recto tone on the HD that I love. The model for the Fireball is much better IMO.

I've had pretty good results running the HD with cab modelling turned off into the FX return on my amp. Basically just using it for its' power amp. You could get the same results by using a tube rack power amp like the mesa 2:50 or something similar through a good quality cab.

Running it into a PA, or into a keyboard amp is basically the same thing. It'll sound good, but I've found this method to sound slightly more digital. Though I haven't yet put a whole lot of time into tweaking the presets for a good DI sound, so take that FWIW.

It all depends what you're really after. If you just want simplicity, there's really nothing easier than playing a pod DI into the PA. Just roll up to a gig with a guitar, pod, and a couple cables, and you're set. Could fit your whole rig in a good sized gig bag.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
+1

I have yet to dial in a recto tone on the HD that I love. The model for the Fireball is much better IMO.

To your first part, +1 the ENGL sim is the easiest to get a good spund out of. And love me a good recto which sucks.

Id never use my pod live but if I had to id for sure use a tube poweramp with as much colouration as possible and a kick ass cabinet.

Cab sims and mic sins are easily the worst thong about the POD HD IMO
I have a new PA speaker coming in the mail this week, so once it comes in I'm gonna be tweaking the POD a little more. If I get around to it, maybe I can record some clips once I get it all set up. Now that they finally fixed the HD edit program I can tweak settings on the PC again.

With the right combination of cab and mic sim you can get some pretty good sounds... But there are a lot of bad combinations too. Takes a lot of trial and error, and I've only had the thing for like 2 weeks
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Alright thanks people!
So I really DIGG the rectifier so will the vypyr tube's rec be better than the pod hd's? If there isnt much of a difference, getting the pod would be better right? Because the HD300 is pretty cheap and I can use the extra money to get a good PA. Like I asked, would the POD HD Rec be better or the vypyr tube rec?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny