I'm ready to upgrade from my Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 to a real tube amp. I honestly only used two settings on the Vypyr; The 6505 preset "preset 1" for dirty and and the Twin Reverb "preset 3" for clean. So for my upgrade, I'm looking for something versatile that can do both a great clean and a great distortion.

My budget is $1500 at the most, and so far I'm looking at the Diamond Assassin Head + Cabinet for my DBZ Bird of Prey. I'd like to think that DBZ Guitars and Diamond Amps are promoted together for a reason, but I don't want to pigeonhole myself into something that could be a marketing gimmick when other options are available.

I'm also stuck on a good versatile pedal as well.

Thanks.
post in this thread with the answers to these questions.....

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Then we can have an idea of what you need. Otherwise we have no idea what type of amp would suit your needs best.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
post in this thread with the answers to these questions.....

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Then we can have an idea of what you need. Otherwise we have no idea what type of amp would suit your needs best.

That thread is locked, but the only question unanswered is my favorite band. I like multiple bands, but for dirty, I like the sounds from Bush's Machinehead, and as for cleans, I really thought the fender twin reverb on the Vypyr was near perfect.

I live in the Las Vegas area, and I'll buy either new or used.

I'm not really trying to copy a particular band, but I'm looking for a tube amp that is versatile.
Last edited by dspari1 at Feb 17, 2012,
i would go with the twin reverb. unless you want a lot of high gain then all you'll need is a few select pedals and the twin can handle it, it takes pedals like a boss, i love mine. but if a high gain amp is something you want then you can't go wrong with marshalls, shop the used market for a used jcm800, and either pair it with a marshall cab or orange cabs go well with them too. i don't know how many people agree with me but i've never liked peavey cleans, theyre not that great, neither are marshalls for that matter but it's all preference.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Have you tried actually making your own settings? The stock 6505 setting sounds (to be frank) pretty shitty compared to what this amp can do. The Rectifier and Diezel channels are just ridiculously good.

Other than that... $1500 total for a head + cab isn't going to get you a whole lot, when you're looking for a really good dirty and clean. The ability to have both in an amp costs you. You could probably score a Mesa Dual Rectifier + a Marshall 1960 for that much though, and that has a decent clean. Not as nice as the Vypyr can be.

You could also just get a 6505+ half stack, with average cleans, but probably a dirty sound you'd really like. (Again, not sure how much of an "upgrade" that would be. I sold my 5150 after I got my Vypyr tube because it was just so simple.)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Laney VH100R may do the trick for you.
Keep the gain down a bit and you'd get away with a Peavey Ultra/XXX/JSX too.

That thread is supposed to be locked. You aren't meant to post there, just answer those questions.
What you haven't told us is where you live. That makes a huge difference to availability and cost.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hrmmm gain of a 6505 and fender cleans? How about a 5150 III 50w mini head and a 2x12 or 4x12 cab? Or a Carvin v3m? You could also look at something like a used mesa tremoverb combo?

Check craislist.

I'd def think this over,

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/2800119708.html
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Thanks everyone. All of this is helping. So, I take it that the a Diamond Assassin with a 2x12 cab isn't worth it? I am leaning for the Fender and getting a good pedal, but I'll go to guitar center and try out the options you all gave me before I make a final decision.
Quote by dspari1
That thread is locked, but the only question unanswered is my favorite band

Actually, the only question answered in the OP was budget.

Also, when I said to post in this thread with the info, I meant in the thread you started, not 311's sticky... After re-reading my post it kinda does sound like I was telling you to post in that thread, but what I meant was answer the questions from that thread right here in this one.

Anyway, is this for gigging or home use?

Look into the egnater renegade head and maybe an avatar 212. The renegade has awesome cleans, and with an OD you can get pretty much all the gain you'd ever use. IIRC the head is like $999 brand new, and a $400 212 from avatar will put you just under budget.

I've heard great things about the 50W 5150 III, but haven't played one personally. If it sounds as good as the full sized 5150 III, then it's an awesome amp.

Carvin V3 series sound good in clips I've heard, but they're fairly rare on the used market. Being a direct sale only company, you really don't get the benefit of trying one before buying, and their 10 day return policy isn't the biggest window of time to really get a good feel for an amp. I've been very close to buying a V3 on a couple occasions, but got cold feet every time. That being said, I have some other Carvin gear, and it's all very good stuff. But buying a PA without trying it first isn't quite the same as buying an amp.

TL;DR - Try out a renegade. It's a great amp. I owned one for about 2 years.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Jpatan, thanks for helping me out. I checked some YouTube demos, and the Carvin V3 seems to be what I'm looking for.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=V3412

$1,300, so it's within budget, nice cleans, reverb, and good distortions. This is exactly what I've been looking for. This one has led lighting too.

I can't wait for my tax returns in two weeks.

Many thanks to everyone that helped.
Last edited by dspari1 at Feb 18, 2012,
I somehow convinced myself to increase my budget to $2,000 and now I found both a Diamond Nitrox and Diamond Phantom head and 4x12 for that price in the used market. I went with the Nitrox because it has better cleans, so I feel that it's more versatile.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely prioritize distortions over cleans, but I need to have both to play more than just metal.
DBZ Bird of Prey Sepulchre
Diamond Nitrox Head
Diamond Nitrox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by gerraguitar
i would go with the twin reverb. unless you want a lot of high gain then all you'll need is a few select pedals and the twin can handle it, it takes pedals like a boss, i love mine. but if a high gain amp is something you want then you can't go wrong with marshalls, shop the used market for a used jcm800, and either pair it with a marshall cab or orange cabs go well with them too. i don't know how many people agree with me but i've never liked peavey cleans, theyre not that great, neither are marshalls for that matter but it's all preference.

Awful idea, unless you want to spring to swap the speakers out for something like EVMs (back breaker ) and buy something like an Okko Dominator, Toneczar Openhaus or Weehbo Morbid Drive (all at least $300). And generalizing Peavey and Marshall cleans is ludicrous. Sure, a 5150 and JCM800 aren't really clean amps but they both make a number of other amps.

Quote by dspari1
I somehow convinced myself to increase my budget to $2,000 and now I found both a Diamond Nitrox and Diamond Phantom head and 4x12 for that price in the used market. I went with the Nitrox because it has better cleans, so I feel that it's more versatile.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely prioritize distortions over cleans, but I need to have both to play more than just metal.

You already buy it? TBH, I'm not a huge fan of the Diamonds I've played. They're alright but not worth the money. I'd take an EVH 5153 over a Diamond anything all day every day for what you want.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Awful idea, unless you want to spring to swap the speakers out for something like EVMs (back breaker ) and buy something like an Okko Dominator, Toneczar Openhaus or Weehbo Morbid Drive (all at least $300). And generalizing Peavey and Marshall cleans is ludicrous. Sure, a 5150 and JCM800 aren't really clean amps but they both make a number of other amps.

You already buy it? TBH, I'm not a huge fan of the Diamonds I've played. They're alright but not worth the money. I'd take an EVH 5153 over a Diamond anything all day every day for what you want.

It's a done deal, and I'll have it 1 week from today. I also find it funny that you mentioned the EVH 5150 III since the guy I'm buying the Nitrox from switched to just that. I think I'll be ok with the Nitrox though.
Diamond Nitrox Head
Last edited by dspari1 at Mar 3, 2012,
Tim Mahoney from 311 plays Diamond amps but that is about all I know of them.

The 5153 I have played - and it is a killer amp all the way around. Glorious cleans, to die for mid gain crunch, and handles down tuned br00talz like a champ. All in a box that is made by Fender. I've seen them used in the 1,000 range.

Are you keeping your Vypyr 60? That is a fun piece of kit.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 3, 2012,
Quote by jpatan
Carvin V3 series sound good in clips I've heard, but they're fairly rare on the used market. Being a direct sale only company, you really don't get the benefit of trying one before buying, and their 10 day return policy isn't the biggest window of time to really get a good feel for an amp. I've been very close to buying a V3 on a couple occasions, but got cold feet every time. That being said, I have some other Carvin gear, and it's all very good stuff. But buying a PA without trying it first isn't quite the same as buying an amp.
My opinion is if you like the tone an amp gives through clips that were recorded with really shitty camera mics, or even professionally recorded mics, chances are you will like the tone you get from the amp in person. My dad did this when he was buying his Carvin Bel-Air, and I would like to say I did this with my Jet City, but I've played Soldanos prior to buying it. Even so, I liked the tones I heard in the clips, and the tone I get from the amp is even better.

TS: I like the idea of the Diamond, and have heard great things about them, so I won't advise against getting it. Though the Carvin V3 is indeed worth checking out, especially if you are wanting extreme cleans.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Tim Mahoney from 311 plays Diamond amps but that is about all I know of them.

The 5153 I have played and it is a killer amp all the way around. Glorious cleans, to die for mid gain crunch, and handles down tuned br00talz like a champ. All in a box that is made by Fender. I've seen them used in the 1,000 range.

Are you keeping your Vypyr 60? That is a fun piece of kit.

I wish I was keeping my Vypyr, but the entire reason I'm upgrading is due to my close friends for years losing my gear. Instead of just simply rebuying the same gear, I would feel ashamed to not use this as a good reason to get even better gear.
Diamond Nitrox Head

My setup is compete. Of course now I need an effect pedal, but I'm officially broke, so next time. The previous owner switched the led to green, but it's a nice touch.
Diamond Nitrox Head
Last edited by dspari1 at Mar 10, 2012,
Bad Ass. I'm not a fan of Diamond stuff myself, but that thing just looks amazing, aesthetically. Did you do a NAD?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Bad Ass. I'm not a fan of Diamond stuff myself, but that thing just looks amazing, aesthetically. Did you do a NAD?

Nope. I thought it would be redundant, and I wanted to thank everyone here who helped me.
Diamond Nitrox Head
Epic.

Now all you need to do is chop off those pointy bits off your guitar
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?