Im torn between two choices and I just can't decide so I figured someone with more knowlegde on this subject could help me out...

Alright so I have an Epiphone SG that I bought new three years ago, and now the pickups (they are the stock ones) are basically shot. I don't know what happened to them, but through the course of time my neck pickup doesn't work at all, and the bridge is headed down the same road. The guitar now sounds terrible. I do remember, however, that when the guitar was new, it sounded decent in tone.

So, I had this idea that if I were to replace these ppickups with some better ones that possibly it would sound even better than it did when it was new. Is this not going to happen at all? Is that a crazy idea? Or should I just get an entirely new ax?

I was thinking some active emgs would make this thing like new. Ive played emgs in different guitars and I like the sound, but I'm not sure if that would go over well in a guitar like this. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Unless you're bored of your SG in terms of playing it, I'd say get some new pick-ups. Also, you might find the the wires in your SG just need re-soldering, rather than the pick-ups being dead.
It may or not be the pick ups, could just be the wiring or volume or tone pots.
New pups would definatley sound better as long as you bought better pups that are in it now, I think Epi pups are just cheap versions of Gibson pups.
Yeah thats kind of what I thought, maybe new ones are the right choice regardless of wether or not they're shot
Pickups do not become "shot".

There's nothing wrong with the pickups, most likely the switch is knackered but there could be some dodgy wiring in there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Honestly I dont know that much about pickups and I've always just played the stock ones so I wasnt sure if it was possible that they could become shot or not
Permanent magnets aren't actually permanent, if they used old ones or poorly magnetised ones then they could be losing their magnetism, but I'm gonna go with the switch needing replacing as a first port of call as the Epi toggles are renowned for their contacts coming off, especially under heavy use (like using it as a stutter effect)
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Thanks for the advice, I think I might just make the switch to new ones then. As of right now, though, the guitar sounds so bad I dont even want to play it through my amp so I just set it back down...
seriously i would find out what the problem is first, or you will probably end up putting new pickups in and have just the same problem as you have now.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
It's really easy to see if there are any loose wires or if the pickup selector switch is broken. There's nothing the guys at guitar center are going to be able tot ell you that you won't be able to find out for yourself in half the time; the people that work in chain stores like that are not good guitar technicians, at best they know a smuch as you.

The pickups aren't the problem. Yes, in theory the magnet inside the pickup could become so weak that it would stop producing a sound, but that would take decades. There are pickups from the early 50s that still work perfectly well. So replacing the pickups alone won't solve anything.

Just grab a screwdriver, flip your guitar over and open the control cavity. If there's a wire that's come loose or if the switch is screwed (something that happens to nearly every Epiphone), it'll be obvious.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I opened it up and the wires are all connected. Visually, it seems like everythings alright, but then again I'm not a pro at this. All I can say is it doesn't look like anythings torn or broken so I'm going to say thats a plus.
Throw a set of dimarzio PAF's in it and you'll find you guitar's tone will be awesome. I put a PAF Pro in the neck of my Epi LP and an Evolution in the bridge and it really brought that LP to life!!!
My Gear:

Jackson RR3 Pro
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender CD140 Acoustic/Electric
Line 5 HD500 effects unit
Marshall MA100

"Grunge was invented for people who can't play solos"
I'd buy a can of Servisol contact cleaner and spray the switch, it may just be dirty.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com