A few years ago somebody gave the 'Cream at Royal Albert Hall' DVD to me. I watched and thought it was very good, but recently I put it on again, and something just clicked. For whatever reason the music sounded fresh again to me. YEARS ago I learned 'Crossroads' and 'White Room' and 'Sunshine of Your Love', just 'cause you needed to know to play them if you wanted to be in a band. Now, I see that they were not REALLY a rock band, but sort of a jazz/blues combo. Ginger's drumming, and especially Jack Bruce's bass lines were nothing like I ever heard in any rock band.

Just had to get that out there...three very good musicians when they try
They were three very talented musicians, and each one of them brought their own influences into the group. They had blues rock like crossroads and born under a bad sign, yet they also had songs like wrapping paper, which is pretty unique. I can kind of see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure. Can you give examples where the jazz influence is obvious (something I didn't just list)?
I can kind of see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure. Can you give examples where the jazz influence is obvious (something I didn't just list)?

baker & bruce are jazz players...the long solo sections of cream enter impov along the lines of john coltranes explorations in his later years..

other 3-piece rock bands didnt seem to make this transition or even try ... and not for lack of talent..hendrix comes to mind of course..the police had a very unique sound that entered jazz at points..emerson lake & palmer were considered rock by some..but their european rooted classical backrounds were easy to recognize..

clapton could incorporate the opening notes of the standard "blue moon" in a solo and embrace albert king several bars later..

bakers drumming pushed the beat way beyond 4/4 time ... and bruce brought the bass front and center ...listen to his lines on "badge"..a rock song..? perhaps something herbi hancock might develope...

i wonder at his critics that claim his playing has not developed in over 30 years..