Numerous AC30 players have confirmed that the DLS pairs up well with their amp. I'm interested in a little more crunchy sound than the typical overdrive pedals out there which seem to focus on more of a smooth breakup, glassy breakup, or combination of both smooth and glassy attributes. I like having that smoother sound, so I always will have one or two pedals that can do some variation of that, but I'd like to replace my Rat as a more aggressive sound. The Rat sound okay on medium gain settings and stacked with a milder overdrive, but getting higher gain on it's own makes it fuzzy and loose. I'm interested in being more aggressive, but tighter and less fuzzy than the Rat. I hear the DLS can get a nice crunchy rock sound that stacks well with other pedals. Can anyone attest to these attributes?
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Aggressive and tight makes me think more of the Naga Viper than the DLS. The DLS is going to make your AC30 sound like a Marshall, which is cool, but if you want crunch with an AC amp, you really ought to try a treble booster.
The DLS does indeed stack very well with other pedals/amp distortion. I don't think it's very good for high gain on its own though, just doesn't sound quite right to me. It's not particularly tight either. On moderate gain settings into a slightly overdriven valve amp sounds GORGEOUS though.

http://synaesthetics.bandcamp.com/track/concrete-floors
All the dirty sounds on this were recorded with a DLS. If you listen from 5:45 it should give you a pretty good idea of what it sounds like.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Feb 17, 2012,
Well, I have a rather broad definition of aggressive. When I hear my overdrives into my Vox, I think of medium gain indie rock or perhaps chimey blues. In THAT context, aggressive means newer alternative rock that is crunchy but not saturated.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Naga Viper. For sure. Get the volume and gain knobs up so you're hitting the preamp hard and then turn the range up until it sounds modern enough for you.