I've got a rockfield mafia in the bridge. However I don't think it's heavy enough. Now would upgrading to something like a BKP Warpig be better than just using a booster pedal before the distortion pedal?
]
New amp.
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by falcon1439
I know

Sorry man, but there's little point in shelling out a small fortune on pickups and pedals when the amp limits how much of a difference they'll make so much
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Paddy McK
Sorry man, but there's little point in shelling out a small fortune on pickups and pedals when the amp limits how much of a difference they'll make so much

I get like 100 quid a day in the summer at the weekends because I sell food to tourists

My future amp choice is weird but I like it

I'd just like to know how I should tackle this problem. I know Zoltan off five finger death punch uses Mafias,but he use a MXR micro amp so...
]
Neither a pickup change or a boost pedal will make your tone sound ''heavier''. Your amp is a solid state amp; boost pedals and pickup output don't effect it in the same way they effect valve amps. Higher output pickups and boost or OD pedals drive valve amps harder, so they break up (distort) earlier. With a solid state amp they just make the sound louder, if you're lucky. If you're unlucky they'll make it distort, and sadly solid state distortion is not like valve distortion; it sounds horrible, like the amp is broken. There are a few (rare and fairly expensive) solid state amps that handle distortion better or work better with pedals, but yours certainly is not one of those amps.

If you want to sound heavier, you need a different amplifier. It is that simple. Right now, a pickup swap may change the overall EQ of your tone but it won't give you a bolder tone or more distortion or more powerful bass or anything. A boost pedal will just make your amp louder, as I said.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Neither a pickup change or a boost pedal will make your tone sound ''heavier''. Your amp is a solid state amp; boost pedals and pickup output don't effect it in the same way they effect valve amps. Higher output pickups and boost or OD pedals drive valve amps harder, so they break up (distort) earlier. With a solid state amp they just make the sound louder, if you're lucky. If you're unlucky they'll make it distort, and sadly solid state distortion is not like valve distortion; it sounds horrible, like the amp is broken. There are a few (rare and fairly expensive) solid state amps that handle distortion better or work better with pedals, but yours certainly is not one of those amps.

If you want to sound heavier, you need a different amplifier. It is that simple. Right now, a pickup swap may change the overall EQ of your tone but it won't give you a bolder tone or more distortion or more powerful bass or anything. A boost pedal will just make your amp louder, as I said.

Thanks for the information,really helpful. I'm still not convinced by tube amps. Why not get say an ibanez tubescreamer? That replicates the sound. Plus tube amps are really fragile. My wanted set up is an ehx. 22 plugged into a 2x12 cab. I'm gonna put a blackstar ht metal pedal to get great distortion and tube like cleans. Read the musicradar review before dismissing the blackstar
]
a tubescreamer is a low gain overdrive. through a solid state amp it'll give you a low gain overdrive. like... blues or blues rock at most.

put one through a pretty high gain tube amp which already has a fair bit of distortion dialled in and you're in high gain heaven. doesn't work that way with solid state amps.

get a better tube amp

those blackstar pedals (far as i'm aware) are more solid state than tube

i don't care less about reviews.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
a tubescreamer is a low gain overdrive. through a solid state amp it'll give you a low gain overdrive. like... blues or blues rock at most.

put one through a pretty high gain tube amp which already has a fair bit of distortion dialled in and you're in high gain heaven. doesn't work that way with solid state amps.

get a better tube amp

those blackstar pedals (far as i'm aware) are more solid state than tube

i don't care less about reviews.

Tube amps,and I mean a good tube amp,are expensive. Got a recommendation for a tube combo/head for around £500? It needs to have decent cleans but also be able to do metal
]
Quote by falcon1439
I'm still not convinced by tube amps. Why not get say an ibanez tubescreamer? That replicates the sound.
No it doesn't. In fact it generates a sound quite unlike any valve amp. The whole reason they got so popular was because they were pretty much the first overdrive pedal that would really change how an amp sounded, and not just make it a little louder. Tubescreamers have a big upper-mid spike that brings a lot of clarity and bite to a valve amp's distortion.

Plus tube amps are really fragile.
No they're not. When Vox started making valve amps and bands started going on big tours their durability was questioned, so Vox would set up demonstrations where they'd throw an AC30 down a flight of stairs, then plug it in and play. Only a small fraction of the amps were ever damaged, the vast majority were in perfect working order. So unless you plan on throwing your amp down some stairs,, or out a window, or under a bus, you don't have to worry about valves being ''fragile''.

Read the musicradar review before dismissing the blackstar
You shouldn't trust reviews so blindly. The fact about the vast, vast majority of publications and large websites is that they get given gear to review for free with the understanding that they'll give it a positive review. If they don't, the manufacturer stops sending that publication free gear. Without gear to review the publication will pretty much die, so in essence magazines and large sites have to give positive reviews to everything or they'll close.

User reviews can't be trusted because nobody likes to admit they bought something that sucks.
Shop reviews can't be trusted because they're trying to get you to buy things.
Magazine and press website reviews can't be trusted because they have to stay on manufacturers' good sides.
Manfacturer reviews and demos obviously can't be trusted.

Going to a shop, trying some gear out and listening to it can be trusted.

Quote by Dave_Mc
And not even particularly good blues-rock.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ yeah

i mean, used as originally intended, the ts only really sounds good for a very specific type of tone and with very specific kit (basically fender guitars into blackface amps)

it's when used to boost already overdriven amps that they really come into their own

edit: i'm not even sure trying stuff can always be trusted

Quote by falcon1439
Tube amps,and I mean a good tube amp,are expensive. Got a recommendation for a tube combo/head for around £500? It needs to have decent cleans but also be able to do metal

maybe a traynor ycv50b on thomann?

would need a boost for metal

luckily thomann also does the joyo vintage overdrive (under its house brand harley benton) for 29 euros. it's a ts808 clone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 17, 2012,
But I can't afford an ENGL so?

Edit: Thanks Dave,I'll try that
]
Last edited by falcon1439 at Feb 17, 2012,
no problem
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?