Poll Options
View poll results: Fraud singer?
yes
6 4%
no
154 96%
Voters: 160.
Page 1 of 3
Man, I listen to him sing on his albums and it is amazing.

Live however, he NEVER hits notes he did in the studio. A lot of songs make me go "wow" when I listen to them on cd. When I watch queen live, it is a letdown. Under Pressure, Who Wants To Live Forever, pretty much EVERY Queen song actually.....He avoids ALL the high notes and makes his drummer sing them.

I have a feeling he was a fraud singer. Can't hit the notes live so used studio tricks to make his voice higher. Really lame and he doesn't deserve the status he has when he has to cheat it the studio to make his voice seem a lot better than it actually was.
He blew too much before the live shows. Problem solved.
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
You're the biggest dick we've had in the Pit for a while.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Stop talking, you have are the biggest dick the pit has seen in a while.
Singing in a controlled environment where only your top performances are recorded != singing a set for over an hour putting immense stress on your vocal chords while dancing around and putting on a kickass show at the same time
Quote by CoreysMonster
Singing in a controlled environment where only your top performances are recorded != singing a set for over an hour putting immense stress on your vocal chords while dancing around and putting on a kickass show at the same time

and yet whitney houston, adam lambert and a million others singers do it live. That is no excuse.

Over 20 years, and not ONE night where he hits the actual notes? BS
Quote by shredred

Live however, he NEVER hits notes he did in the studio. A lot of songs make me go "wow" when I listen to them on cd. When I watch queen live, it is a letdown. Under Pressure, Who Wants To Live Forever, pretty much EVERY Queen song actually.....He avoids ALL the high notes and makes his drummer sing them.

I have a feeling he was a fraud singer. Can't hit the notes live so used studio tricks to make his voice higher. Really lame and he doesn't deserve the status he has when he has to cheat it the studio to make his voice seem a lot better than it actually was.

No he wasn't a fraud. He avoided the highest notes live or his voice would be gone after the third song of the show.

Queen-material is extremely demanding, as anyone who sings will know.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO2aZ7EzsgM

Roger Taylor is a beast though. Amazing drummer and singer.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Last edited by Demon Wolf at Feb 17, 2012,
I dunno, it doesn't really matter all that much, does it? Not like you'll see him at a live show anytime soon.
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Cornell pushed the hell out of his voice in Soundgarden and look what happened to him. He blew it the hell out. He's only just recently (as in the last couple years) got back to normal even though his voice aged now. So Mercury would have had the same problem to deal with

EDIT: I just realized you're the goofball that keeps posting about V shaped guitars
Last edited by soundgarden1986 at Feb 17, 2012,
And how many Queen bootlegs have you seen?

I heard 95% of them and there are plenty of instances where he hits "the notes"

Quote by soundgarden1986
Cornell pushed the hell out of his voice in Soundgarden and look what happened to him. He blew it the hell out. He's only just recently (as in the last couple years) got back to normal even though his voice aged now. So Mercury would have had the same problem to deal with

And Freddie did. Earlier in their live career (up until 1982) he'd go for higher notes, developed vocal nodules which limited his range during The Works tour and the famous A Kind Of Magic-tour (see Live At Wembley). He was also smoking at the time because he liked the husky tone his voice got.

When they quit touring, he regained his range and got a whole other tone in his voice. His sickness also contributed, it became a bit thinner towards the end. Just listen to The Miracle and Innuendo.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by CoreysMonster

This.

/Thread
Quote by StillSublime
I dunno, it doesn't really matter all that much, does it? Not like you'll see him at a live show anytime soon.

It does matter. I feel like when I listen to the songs on cd those high notes that wow me are actually fake and misleading thus making me not listen to Queen anymore as Freddie was a cheater of a singer.
Last edited by shredred at Feb 17, 2012,
Are you even SERIOUS?!

He wasn't a cheater, HE HIT THOSE NOTES. You hear it yourself. Yeah caps.

They were recorded long before autotune and pitch correction were invented.

EDIT: Just to try, please record yourself singing at the top of your range for two and a half hours, while delivering a performance worthy of Freddie Mercury and his stage persona. And then repeat it night after night on a lengthy tour.

And let's see how many notes you hit.

ALL singers do this. Unless you are John Farnham, but he is an alien vocal wonder.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Quote by shredred

He didn't use 'studio tricks to make his voice seem better'. Pitch correction didn't exist in the 70s. Also, if you listen to the 'Live Killers' album you'll hear frankly incredible vocals throughout. The later 'Live At Wembley' footage does show weaker vocals because, to put it bluntly, he was getting old. A 40 year old singing like a 25 year old? Not easy to pull off in a live situation whilst working the crowd and/or playing piano. Freddie was not a fraud, he was an exceptional singer. You seem to expect him to be superhuman...
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by shredred
and yet whitney houston, adam lambert and a million others singers do it live. That is no excuse.

Over 20 years, and not ONE night where he hits the actual notes? BS

Whitney Houston stays still and other people dance for her.

Freddie Mercury is doing all of the dancing himself. Rock is much more physically demanding than Pop/R&B/Soul or soulless manufactured pop music.
Quote by Paddy McK
He didn't use 'studio tricks to make his voice seem better'. Pitch correction didn't exist in the 70s. Also, if you listen to the 'Live Killers' album you'll hear frankly incredible vocals throughout. The later 'Live At Wembley' footage does show weaker vocals because, to put it bluntly, he was getting old. A 40 year old singing like a 25 year old? Not easy to pull off in a live situation whilst working the crowd and/or playing piano. Freddie was not a fraud, he was an exceptional singer. You seem to expect him to be superhuman...

Bang on. And he had vocal nodules at the time, but age was a factor as well. Still magically regained his full range after he got sick, many of the highest notes of his career are from The Miracle, Innuendo and Made In Heaven.

Just have a listen to the last vocals he ever recorded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLDsd6lUiR8

Some amazing stuff in there.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Quote by Demon Wolf
Are you even SERIOUS?!

He wasn't a cheater, HE HIT THOSE NOTES. You hear it yourself. Yeah caps.

They were recorded long before autotune and pitch correction were invented.

Even Black Sabbath "Iron Man" has a part that makes ozzy's voice go from normal to really high, and this was recorded in 1970. Studio work COULD do it.
Quote by shredred
It does matter. I feel like when I listen to the songs on cd those high notes that wow me are actually fake and misleading thus making me not listen to Queen anymore as Freddie was a cheater of a singer.
Fake?? He sang them, so how are they fake?? You're a retard, man.
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Quote by xSheogorathx
Whitney Houston stays still and other people dance for her.

Freddie Mercury is doing all of the dancing himself. Rock is much more physically demanding than Pop/R&B/Soul or soulless manufactured pop music.

To be fair on Whitney she doesnt really have a choice anymore
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by RetroGunslinger

icwatudidther
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
New rule, if the answer to a thread can be summarized with the word 'no', it shouldn't be posted.
Quote by StillSublime
Fake?? He sang them, so how are they fake?? You're a retard, man.

Because studios can make a singers voice go higher using tricks? a la "iron man" which was recorded in 1970.
Quote by RetroGunslinger

Freddie Mercury probably snorted just as much coke, at least thats what I hope that white stuff on his mustache was.
Quote by Demon Wolf

And Freddie did. Earlier in their live career (up until 1982) he'd go for higher notes, developed vocal nodules which limited his range during The Works tour and the famous A Kind Of Magic-tour (see Live At Wembley). He was also smoking at the time because he liked the husky tone his voice got.

When they quit touring, he regained his range and got a whole other tone in his voice. His sickness also contributed, it became a bit thinner towards the end. Just listen to The Miracle and Innuendo.

Oh I was just saying. I didn't doubt that he did blow it out at one point, but I didn't have much to go on as I hate Queen. That's a nice bit of info though
No. GTFO.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by shredred
Even Black Sabbath "Iron Man" has a part that makes ozzy's voice go from normal to really high, and this was recorded in 1970. Studio work COULD do it.

Dude, I've listened to a hell of a lot of Queen, and it's painfully obvious that he hits the notes naturally. Pitch effects have a massive effect on the tone of a vocal when they kick in, and Freddies voice never has that.
You mean the bit of Iron man at the end where his voice fades out whilst getting higher? Sounds to me like the tape gets sped up momentarily. There's definitely none of that on Queen songs.
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
I would also like to point out that Whitney Houston's voice still never had the range that Freddie's did. Whitney's vocal range was 2.5 octaves, while Freddie's was 3.5, according to Wikipedia.

Whitney's was from G3 - Bb5, Freddie's was from F2 - Bb5.
Successful troll is successful.

Freddie rocks!
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Quote by shredred

Cool. Stop listening to them then and quit being a whiny little attention whore about it.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
TL;DR

TS is butthurt that he can't hit notes as high as Freddie while taking it balls deep.
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
I feel like such an idiot when I troll vote yes and no one else does.
Quote by shredred
and yet whitney houston, adam lambert and a million others singers do it live.
That's arguable. ("A million other singers" probably includes many singers who either lipsync completely or lipsync partially. It's more common than you think really.)

Besides, many Queen songs contain very high notes. Most singers do not sing high notes consistently, song after song. Queen songs are famous for that falsetto tone, which means lots of high notes. You try singing falsetto for about 30 minutes. See if you even last that long. I certainly can't. I doubt you can either.

Edit: TS, are you the only person who voted yes.
Quote by shredred
Because studios can make a singers voice go higher using tricks? a la "iron man" which was recorded in 1970.

You don't know much about recording and editing don't you....
Quote by shredred

You're making quite a name for yourself already aren't you?
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I would also like to point out that Whitney Houston's voice still never had the range that Freddie's did. Whitney's vocal range was 2.5 octaves, while Freddie's was 3.5, according to Wikipedia.

Whitney's was from G3 - Bb5, Freddie's was from F2 - Bb5.

hmm... how accurate is this? a quick google search showed pretty consistently that houston's vocal range was ~3 octaves.

Most professional singers i know have roughly a 3 octave range. so it's not that impressive.

random site note: jeff buckley (according to his website) had a 4 octave range.
I'm just another musician waiting to be famous.

follow my twitter here
Please! listen to my music here
Quote by blues_
hmm... how accurate is this? a quick google search showed pretty consistently that houston's vocal range was ~3 octaves.

Most professional singers i know have roughly a 3 octave range. so it's not that impressive.

random site note: jeff buckley (according to his website) had a 4 octave range.

According to Wikipedia, Mariah Carey has a 5 octave range.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I believe this pic is very appropriate.

Quote by Ichikurosaki
According to this post right here, I have a 32 octave range. Most of my notes are beyond the spectrum of human hearing.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Page 1 of 3