So I work as a freight handler in a warehouse unloading trucks. For my job we have a point system for tardiness and mishaps in the work place.

On Tuesday I called in a 6:50, we start work at 6:15, to tell my boss I wasn't going to make it to work because I had been puking and had diarrhea all morning.

Today he hands me a sheet of paper to sign telling me a received two points for missing work. Five points ends in a termination. So I signed understanding a rule is a rule and I had broken it.

However, a co-worker came into today hours late because he was out drinking last night and received half a point. Which in turn made me upset with the policy in place.

I had a legitimate excuse for missing work and received a harsher punishment.

Does this make any sense to you guys?

TL;DR

I called in sick for work, got two points. (5 ends in termination.)
Co-worker came in hours late do to a hangover and received half a point.

WTF?
Last edited by peaches58` at Feb 17, 2012,
he still came in...

that's the only explanation i can give ya, sorry.

edit: maybe he worked an extra couple of hours to make up for it (or promised to work them at a later date)
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
- You should've called earlier
- Hungover guy was probably drinking with his boss the night before
- Life's a bitch
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by a_7_x
Ask your boss about it?

I decided not to because I usually never miss work or come in late.

Also I would have called in sooner had I been able to get out of the bathroom with out throwing up and or shitting all over the place.
You acted extremely unprofessional by calling in AFTER your shift began.

The other co-worker may have called in earlier explaining he would be late. (just a hypothesis, may be other reasons)
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by CrunchyRoll

The other co-worker may have called in earlier explaining he would be late. (just a hypothesis, may be other reasons)

Sometimes it can't be helped.

I had really bad insomnia and was at the doctor for it and stuff and if I fell asleep a few hours before I was due to start, I'd have to call in when I woke up.

When you can't make work, it's not for your boss to judge why you never phoned in. He isn't a doctor.
The boss and that guy are butt buddies, obviously.
Quote by CrunchyRoll

Never mind, that's probably it.
I'm not sure why you're complaining. Sounds like you're winning, you obviously have more points than him, right?

But really that sounds a little fishy to me. I kinda have to agree with you.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by a_7_x
Sometimes it can't be helped.

I had really bad insomnia and was at the doctor for it and stuff and if I fell asleep a few hours before I was due to start, I'd have to call in when I woke up.

When you can't make work, it's not for your boss to judge why you never phoned in. He isn't a doctor.

It doesn't matter.

Your boss can make that judgement. It's the worker's responsibility to let the employer know ahead of time so they can make the necessary arrangements.

I'm pretty surprised this is shocking to most of you. No one has ever had a job before? (bagging groceries doesn't count)
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
go to his office and give your boss 4.5 points for unfairly treating employees. the yell if he ****s up 1 more time he is fired and you'll find someone else to give you work-opportunity
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by CrunchyRoll

This sounds like the most logical explanation, so therefore it must be wrong.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Da Guverment!!!

OT: Calling in after the shift was to start probably didn't score you any points (pun intended) and the other dude did make it in after all. Plus maybe honesty brownie points as he could have made up some BS about his dog/grandma/girlfriend etc as to why he was late but just told the truth and got there.

Your work sounds stupid. Stupid rule is stupid.
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Wah.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Calling in "sick" after your shift has already started is sketchy at best.

This is true. It may be that you were legitimately sick, TS. However, the fact that you called in 35minutes after your shift started is probably why you got 2 points. If you'd have called in at like 6:00, then you'd probably have gotten less points.
I understand I should have called in earlier, but circumstances restricted me. I.guess the reason I'm so upset is because people have been missing work a lot lately. Maybe I'm just a victim of timing and being made an example.

It just doesn't seem as though my missing work warrants a harsher punishment. In the end I guess it won't matter because I rarely miss work and can earn points away.

Really put a damper on my day though.
Quote by peaches58`
Really put a damper on my day though.
Solution: Don't let it put a damper on your day.
Next time just go in and throw up there, can't give you any points and you'll still end up getting the day off.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by vince1991
go to his office and give your boss 4.5 points for unfairly treating employees. the yell if he ****s up 1 more time he is fired and you'll find someone else to give you work-opportunity

You should've called from the crapper and let him know you weren't going in. That would've convinced him that you had a legitimate reason to miss work, because he might have heard you groaning and pushing out a stink pickle. Not to mention all the loud farts and splashing of the toilet water. Then he might have gone easier on you and not issued you a point.
Last edited by cfhdomination at Feb 17, 2012,