Page 1 of 3
so I finally decided to make a thread since I'm about half way through and can just continue so this thread doesnt last a year :P This is a build for a family freind, who plays guitar and drums.
It's been in discussion for atleast a year and a half, and it just started to come together in november but didnt start untill late january.
SPECS
Body Shape: PRS 24
Hardware Colour:Gold

Neck
Construction: Set
Tuners: Gold, Grover locking 18:1
Nut: Ivory
#of frets: 24, medium jumbo
Neck wood: Mahogany
Fretboard: Rosewood
Scale: 25″
Radius: 12″
Headstock shape: PRS
Veneer: South African Mahogany
Inlay: Custom Vine of life, MOP logo
Finish: Tung oil

Body
Wood: Mahogany/South American Mahogany
Color: natural
Contours: Carved top, belly cut
Bridge: Hipshot Trem
Strap Buttons: Gold Strap-locks
Finish: Gloss, Tung oil/poly
Inlay: Bloody Jasper + Mother of Pearl Rose behind bridge

Electronics
Pickup Config: H x H
Neck: Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro
Bridge: Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro
Pickup rings: gold, metal
Switch: 5 way blade
Controls: 1 vol, 2 tone,
Knobs: Black speed

Top wood, bookmathed. Brought in from south america by customers uncle.

Hardware

Mother Of Pearl Vine Of Life inlay, (took 15+ hours)

Neck rough carved to baseball size, until he comes sunday to decide on a size/shape

Teaser of right now

Design of the rose that will be bloody jasper (the red) and MoP
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Last edited by nowa90 at Feb 17, 2012,
A new Nowa90's build? Bring it on bro It's already looking awesome so far.

And you're going to inlay that rose on the body, neck or headstock??

EDIT: Just read the specs lol, it will look killer behind the bridge
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Last edited by Heilz at Feb 17, 2012,
Thanks Heilz, the customer is super excited to see it sunday, which is real good news
He's playing a show infront of 600 people on march 31st, so lest hope atleast one of them plays guitar :P
Heres how the inlay will sit (which may or may not change)
For some reason i imagined it placed there but with a 90 degree counter-clockwise rotation. Because of the vines and such.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
yea, we'll see what happens once I have the peices glued together and everything. At first he wanted it where the arm rest is, and a vine connecting it to the fretboard, but I didn't like it, and he eventually decided against it. This way you can still "enjoy" the rose while its being played, and it could still flow with the vine.

Thanks you. I just drilled the tuners holes and sanded some of the thickness of the headstock off (1 more mm left!) and I'm going to start designing the headstock logo.
Well, abut 4-5 hours for each of the last three night shows some progress. I got the pickups and bridge routed, neck tenon cleaned up, cut the coral tip, ad made the neck templates. Also drilled the bridge posts. He came here sunday, and is absolutly in love with it. He air guitar'ed on the rought neck for 30-45 minutes, and just talked about it the whole night (had supper with them at a mutual freinds). We are going to get the truss rod cover engraved with the name of the guitar (Lorraine for now) and talked about everything else to do with it. The neck carve was perfect for him how it is, which is good. Here are the pics.

Mock Up

Coral 5 way selector tip

Jillard-esqu shot, even with only about 2 inches of contact it holds the top up by itself. Ormsby would be proud :P

As you can see, the heel is still going to be moved back

Where we're at tonight
Somewhere under the mess of clamps and template is a guitar. Thank god I bought those 6 6"clamps from lee valley ( came in today). I wouldn't feel good about this glue up without them. Probably will buy another 5-6 in the near future.

No one does! Apparntly 36 is enough for woodworking, but I can't see more then 15 (I have 14 now! ) clamps for 1 guitar necessary, and 2-3 bar clamps to glue bodies together (next on the list).
I saw a comment recently on some website or other that the difference between a carpenter and a cabinet maker is the number of clamps they own. I wonder where a luthier comes on that scale...

[edit]
Oh, and by the way, I have four!
I borrowed a couple off my finacée's dad for doing the top on my current build, but I definitely see more clamps in my future.
[/edit]
Last edited by von Layzonfon at Feb 24, 2012,
Probably a bit behind, I guess we got lucky and the number of clamps is lowered a ton. Too bad we need to be so damn accurate with routing and placements.....
only 4? Feel bad for you man! I had 3 2" c clamps and 4 F clamps starting out. So glad I bought these ones and got those 2 big ones from my dad.
Defiantly recomend getting some of these bad boys, cheaper hen the shitty Irwin ones too!
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43838,43850,44647&p=44651
I feel so much better about clamping things now

Thanks nick1!
Its mahogany? At first, I took it for some koa
My mahogany is strangely much pinkier/redder than this... the color is also much lighter. But it have its own charm
It must be, i think its from near a crotch though. The other 6 feet of the board is typical mahogany, but the last 2 feet got that awesome grain and ripple. I got the whole bookmatched plank for free

EDIT: I'll take a pic of the boards next time I go down.
Last edited by nowa90 at Feb 24, 2012,
Thanks man, the build was going along perfectly untill......My router pooped out on me. Its only 2 years old (website says 3 year exchange) , so I'm hoping I can exchange it or something, since I need it for almost all of the routes into the core, plus all other guitars. I also made the control cavity plate today, and recessed the screw holes.

Here it is so far. Untill my router either fixes itself or I get another one, I'll sand the sides and start the rose.

Back
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Whats up with the neck pocket? Looks weird, normals PRS Customs dont have the triangle

I'm sure that this is just extra wood that will be shaped when the neck is set.

This is looking really good! I will have a to build a PRS style someday.
Exactly, just some more glue/clamp surface for when the neck goes in, but the heel will be moved very far back (.5" frm the body or so) after its glued.

Go for it, they are fun (or maybe just because nothing went wrong ). I find them sorta ass-heavy though, I think a semi-hollow version is a must.

EDIT: Found a router for the week (all I need, hopefully!) 4 hp Freud.
Last edited by nowa90 at Feb 25, 2012,
This is just a hair under 1 3/4, but will be carved. Theres no way a trem would fit in one if it was a few mm thinner though, I got kinda lucky this time..

EDIT: Went to town today, just said to the woman "it stopped working last night...."and she got me a new router, same model but it seems a bit revised. No receipt or original box, they just needed my phone number.

DUBEDIT: Didnt want to double post, here we are as of right now. Just the trem cover and neck pocket left to route, then time to do the topographical carve,

Last edited by nowa90 at Feb 26, 2012,
What a great 6 hours, worth the bump.

Neck joint, no glue. I always have to hammer or press the neck in, first time for me and I love it!

mock up

carve

The back, all done. I seriously did the belly carve in 5 minutes, thank good for angle grinders and 24 grit paper.
make the steps with the router, made the lip with a cove bit, and then smoothed them out with an angle grinder/24 grit paper. Cleaned it up a bit with a violin makers plane and 50 grit paper. Still much to do!
make the lip as in take the hard edge off the levels?
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
This is looking great! I can't wait to see that top with some finish on it!

The only suggestion I have, and you might already have plans to do it, is to do the knob recesses.
no, I mean to make a lip all the way around, as to the lowest i can go on the top. (2nd last pic, betwene 2 1/2 and 3"

Thank you! I did plan on it, I will recess it asathe carve is done.
nope, 5 way toggle. 1 vol, 2 tone.
Stewmac....some people call em blade switches or w/e. Well, customer gets what he wants.
yea, thats what some people call it. Its the same as a fret/fingerboard, all the same thing but just personal choices on what to call it.
not much visisble progress, just sanding the sides to smooth em out, and finalizing the top. Also scooped the knobs, and they got the truss rod cover engraved to the grandmothers name.

Headstock

Body

Back with plates
Very nice, are you taking more off the heal? it looks like your getting redy to by the last pic. That is the only change I'd do to it (and my PRS).

Great job man!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Page 1 of 3