Me and my dad are making a custom double neck ML and I was wondering if anyone knew the best place to get sheets of mahogany.
in what part of the world, exactly?
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Honduran mahogany is probably what I'm looking at
Last edited by Wyocaster at Feb 17, 2012,
I'm supposing here that you live in the USA, which was what GABarrie asked when he said about the part of the world :P
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
yeh, he's put a location in his profile since I asked :p I can;t help that side of the world though
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Last edited by GABarrie at Feb 17, 2012,
Quote by Heilz
I'm supposing here that you live in the USA, which was what GABarrie asked when he said about the part of the world :P

Thats what I thought at first but i wasn't sure lol
I can advise you on the best places to get mahogany in the UK, but it doesn't help you much, you see
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Any respectable lumber yard will stock Honduran Mahogany and maybe some Genuine Mahoganies. Some will have African/Sapele.
I recently discovered that the Menards near me (I've always just gone to the Home Depot, since it's about 10 minutes closer) carries a limited supply of Mahogany, as well as a small supply of maple. That's about it near me though. My area's a little lacking in that department. I've always just ordered off eBay when I needed something, but Menards is a quite a bit cheaper. Just be carerful. Some of their Mahogany boards are actually just a bunch of narrower boards glued together. When I bought the wood for my most recent build, I nearly bought an 8' Mahogany 1x8 before realizing it was actually four 1x2's glued together. It was camoflaged really well, too. The color was perfectly matched, and the grain was very close. If I hadn't specifically looked for that I wouldn't have seen it. The next board behind it in the rack was a nice 1 piece board though.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
the best would be typing into google "(your town) lumber mill" or the next town over, etc. Also try (american version of) yellow pages.

I just found these two, no idea how close they are to you. Also ask around any older people who may have done woodwork in the past.
http://www.badgerwood.com/products.html

http://www.kretzlumber.com/products/lumber
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Also, I've done business a few times with www.woodworkerssource.com and they have yet to let me down. Excellent quality woods, massive selection. Shipping can be pricey but that's the downside of buying online.
Depending on what you're looking for, and what you consider "local", your best bet will be to start at a "local" lumber yard. A good lumber yard can even cut, plane, & surface your wood to rough size for you.

Rockler.com & woodcraft.com both have stores throughout the US and carry a wide variety of woods in store, in most common sizes from various veneer sheets & strips to 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" thick dimensioned pieces, & occasionally even 1 1/2" & 1 3/4" thick stock.

That said, I buy 90% of my lumber through ebay because I'm usually not looking for standard sized peices, and for me it's usually cheaper than my local lumber yard or driving 1 1/2 hours to the closest Wood Craft store. For some reason, my local lumber yard (which stocks a wide variety of hard woods from around the world), prices there lumber at absolute top dollar prices. I've been able to consistently find equal or better pieces for 15% - 35% less on ebay, & that's after factoring in shipping cost. After spending somewhere close to $3,000 on wood from ebay sellers over the last 5 years, I have no complaints so far, but I'm carefull & only buy from high-rated sellers who include decent quality photos of the actual pieces listed.

Another online seller: http://www.bellforestproducts.com/ who happens to carry neck & fretboard blanks, but not body blanks.
Last edited by chaosdsm at Feb 18, 2012,