Lately as my speed is increasing, and my movements are becoming more coplex, I am starting to notice extra noise from the strings. After really analyzing my technique in the mirror, I figured out what the problem was. My nuckles from my other 3 fingers sometime slightly graze the strings below were I am picking. I have always played with a semi closed hand. I am starting to wonder if I should try to retrain my hand to an open position? Or just concentrate on closing it more to avoid grazing the strings? I think the problem is when I'm going faster, they tend to open up a little just from the movement. Maybe I'm crazy. Help me out here.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
If you can, just play with an open hand, if you don't touch the strings that way. Sounds like you're picking hand is crampy when you play it, doesn't sound good. I couldn't do it without it starting to hurt, anyway :p

But then again, if it doesn't work for you, don't. You could try to adjust your attack just a bit so you miss the rest of the strings..
I used to having a closed hand and I'm able to pick without unwanted string noise. There are also many people who play with an open hand, so it's all a matter of preference.
What I did when i was getting better was to leave the other three fingers wide open, flat and together. Index finger and thumb on the pick. I ran into much of the same problems you did. Everybody has their own way really.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
I generally play with an open hand, because of the need to tap or hybrid pick or something. However, I use a closed hand for when I have to pick really fast because it's far easier to control when the mass of my hand is centred closer to the pick.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
You'll have to find out what works best for you, personally i played with an open hand for 2 years of my playing and then switched to a closed one. Everything became so much easier for me.

Everyone is different, find out what works best for you!
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Dayn
I generally play with an open hand, because of the need to tap or hybrid pick or something. However, I use a closed hand for when I have to pick really fast because it's far easier to control when the mass of my hand is centred closer to the pick.

This.

Closed hand = speed (important not to clench your fist or apply any tension, just close it and relax it)
Open hand = indeed unnecessary unless you are hybrid picking
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.