Ok, so I have the opportunity to buy a 1964 Gibson hawk tube amp off craigslist. It is the kind that has 2 power tubes, 3 12ax7 preamp tubes and 2 6eu7 preamp tubes and 2-10" speakers. I can't find a lot of information about it, and was wondering how it compared to a Fender Blues Deluxe and Fender Blues Jr. Any help is appreciated.
I don't think anybody makes 6EU7 tubes any more and converting it to 12AX7 (same gain factor) isn't a simple job, they have totally different pinouts and a directly heated filament.
If you buy it expect to do some serious modding or hunting down NOS tubes. They were a great little amp but I'd say just too much hassle to own to use. They are the sort of thing you'd buy to stick in a collection, not to use as a working amp.
Personally, I'd love one but I'm a tech and into weird shit like that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have a 1967 Gibson Hawk, but it's a completely different amp. Not sure why they couldn't come up with a different name.
Quote by fly135
I have a 1967 Gibson Hawk, but it's a completely different amp. Not sure why they couldn't come up with a different name.

That's the problem, they seem to share a name, so it is hard to find any information on this version of the hawk. Thanks for the info on the tubes Cathbard. I'm thinking in that case I might just go with a Fender Blues Deluxe.