My first gig with my band we all wore black of some sort, it's cliche since we're a metal band but whatever. Our second gig is tomorrow, and I was wondering how much of a factor matching clothing should be. Our gig is for a fundraiser, although that doesn't have too much of an impact.

We're not going to look drastically different, but our vocalist, bassist and drummer are probably all wearing t shirts and jeans. The other guitarist and I were talking during/after practice if we should wear something a little different and not super metal looking. An example would be a button up shirt, not tucked in, with black jeans, or a white or black t shirt with a little vest thrown over it.

Basically, how important is clothing at a gig, and should I just wear a t shirt and jeans like my bandmates are probably doing?
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Since the rest of the band is going casual, you can wear whatever you want now since they don't care about the image.
Just don't come wearing spiked armbands and bullet-belts and corspe paint
Yeah whatever you want, although I reckon you should wear like a band shirt so you make the band look more metal overall.
METAL!
What is the vibe you're trying to create?

You don't want to look like a bunch of guys who just randomly walked in off the street. Unless, you know, that's your thing. So the question is, what is your thing? Who are you? How can you express that with clothing?
Quote by HotspurJr
What is the vibe you're trying to create?

You don't want to look like a bunch of guys who just randomly walked in off the street. Unless, you know, that's your thing. So the question is, what is your thing? Who are you? How can you express that with clothing?

We're not really going for a set look yet since it's only our second show. However we're all musicians and in a metal, or more progressive esque metalcore band, so we want to look kind of fitting. I decided I'm going to probably wear a band t shirt and my blue jean jacket or my black jacket to look metal or hardcore or whatever.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
I'm personally turned off by bands who try too hard to "look" like they belong to a certain genre of music... I mean the guy from Crazy Town looks like he could be in a metal band... but, boy is he ever not in a metal band. I can see it to a certain extent that you want the band to have a certain image, but don't take it too far or you'll look like idiots.

Also, it's worth noting that if this is only your 2nd gig, your image is less important than the music. If you look cool but sound awful, that's what people will most likely remember.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Just wear what you do to rehearsal/comfortable in. For me it was usually shorts and a tshirt or shirtless if it was hot.
Ditto on the don't look like you try too hard. If you guys are furiously metal, the image usually cultivates itself. But if you are young and your dad makes you cut your hair so that look like you just walked out of Mrs. Jone's college prep Literature class, then you might have to try a little bit. If you have long metal hair you can get away with a whole lot more than if you are sporting the usual Great Clips special.

Dressing metal has expanded beyond what it used to be. Take a cue from various bands. You could even cross over some styles, like sports jerseys and athletic wear. Look at Robert Trujillo from Metallica or Fieldy from Korn. Or Scott Ian from Anthrax. It doesn't have to be all about contrived black clothing and spikes.
Quote by hyper5
Just wear what you do to rehearsal/comfortable in. For me it was usually shorts and a tshirt or shirtless if it was hot.

Basically this. For me it's generally gym shorts, no shoes, a tshirt of some sort. We always get told we look like frat kids that can actually play instruments lol. But whatever, I hate shoes, jeans make me hot and difficult to jump without getting a wedgie, and god forbid if I ever wore a long sleeve shirt or hoodie. If I have to go up on stage and perform for anywhere from 1-3 hours I'm going to dress comfortably.
I think image should be an important factor with bands. Especially live-looking the part and stage presence are very important. To what degree depends on several factors.

For my band, our very name is 'Dressed to Impress' so we kinda set ourselves up for that. At our "big" concerts we decided to all wear at least a shirt and tie, and our singer (who's a chick) wears something fashionable as well. Other indie/alt rock bands usually dress very spiffy- Spector seem like they're made up of male models.

Even with a metal band I'd say don't just throw on a t shirt and shorts, unless it's real hot outside. Wear something that ain't sloppy and people will treat you seriously