Hi, how everybody doing. Hope good

So i have some problems trying to do sweepicking. I have some time practing sweepicking and i can do it OK, but the problem comes when i play the third string in this pattern for example.

E|--19h15--------------15--19h-15--------------15--
B|----------17------17-----------------17------17------
G|--------------16---------------------------16----------
D|--------------------------------------------------
A|--------------------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------------------
Just when i play the 16 fret and go down to the B strings (17 fret), theres always an unwanted G string open sound and its ****up all the sweepicking, like a pulloff from 16 fret to open. I dont know if someone actually get what i trying to say LOL

this pattern i learned from matt heafy from trivium (haters can go and **** yourselfs )sweepicking lesson. He holds the neck with his right hand muting all the strings and playing it without picking, it sounds amazing. I can do it too, but still getting that ****in unwanted open sound on the G string. Heres the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpUR5GOWRk&feature=related

So anyone had the same problem? some help
Work on muting. For sweeping, use left hand muting when descending and right hand muting when ascending.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
both way i still getting that noise.

muting the neck its just to pratice speed on left hand, but still getting the unwanted note anyway.
Well, really, it's fairly simple. You're not playing the sweep cleanly. If it sounds like a pull off from the 16th to the open, that's what you're doing. Slow down the sweep, really slow it down and get it perfectly clean at a low speed. Only then speed it up. Even though you've advised me to violate myself should I doubt Matt Heafy's guitar ability, I'm gonna go straight into it and say that some of those sweeps he did were fairly sloppy, and while he is rather capable, I'd recommend looking up some more advanced sweep picking once you have mastered this pattern, as many guitarists are better at the technique, and you generally want to take sweeping as far as it can go, for me, I started sweeping with BFMV's Scream Aim Fire album when I was 13/14, and now, a few years later I'm onto Rhapsody Of Fire levels of sweeping, with nearly a mastery of the technique if I do say so myself.

Keep the techniques going, and very good luck! Be patient XD
I learnt a similar sweep, Metallica - Leper Messiah... and I had problems with the lowest string, would always drown out every other note, just that one string. I know I'm not a pro but try playing it slower and speed up to a point where you get the pull off sound ruining it. Lift your finger up more till it sounds clean on the way up, guessing the ring finger. I had to kinda flick that finger up and come back down to the high E.
The time has come for all to see

The men behind the curtain cast at you disease

Yours Sincerely
Quote by CelestialGuitar
Well, really, it's fairly simple. You're not playing the sweep cleanly. If it sounds like a pull off from the 16th to the open, that's what you're doing. Slow down the sweep, really slow it down and get it perfectly clean at a low speed. Only then speed it up. Even though you've advised me to violate myself should I doubt Matt Heafy's guitar ability, I'm gonna go straight into it and say that some of those sweeps he did were fairly sloppy, and while he is rather capable, I'd recommend looking up some more advanced sweep picking once you have mastered this pattern, as many guitarists are better at the technique, and you generally want to take sweeping as far as it can go, for me, I started sweeping with BFMV's Scream Aim Fire album when I was 13/14, and now, a few years later I'm onto Rhapsody Of Fire levels of sweeping, with nearly a mastery of the technique if I do say so myself.

Keep the techniques going, and very good luck! Be patient XD

Actually, i play it slow thats get boring, and the open sound still there. As i say, thats just an example, i play differents sweepicking licks to pratice.
Quote by gabocrbll
Hi, how everybody doing. Hope good

So i have some problems trying to do sweepicking. I have some time practing sweepicking and i can do it OK, but the problem comes when i play the third string in this pattern for example.

E|--19h15--------------15--19h-15--------------15--
B|----------17------17-----------------17------17------
G|--------------16---------------------------16----------
D|--------------------------------------------------
A|--------------------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------------------
Just when i play the 16 fret and go down to the B strings (17 fret), theres always an unwanted G string open sound and its ****up all the sweepicking, like a pulloff from 16 fret to open. I dont know if someone actually get what i trying to say LOL

this pattern i learned from matt heafy from trivium (haters can go and **** yourselfs )sweepicking lesson. He holds the neck with his right hand muting all the strings and playing it without picking, it sounds amazing. I can do it too, but still getting that ****in unwanted open sound on the G string. Heres the video

When you move up from the G to the B, you need to fret the B so your finger tip is muting the G. As a bonus security method, you can use the palm of your picking hand to mute the G as well. You also need to make sure you keep your movements to a minimum and keep your index finger close to the frets as possible to mute strings.

I've never liked trivium but that guy has a really good sweeping technique. Them sweeps are clean as hell
Quote by gabocrbll
Actually, i play it slow thats get boring, and the open sound still there. As i say, thats just an example, i play differents sweepicking licks to pratice.

Actually, I am not Yngwie Malmsteen and it gets boring, and it still sounds like dump.

We're telling you to play it slow so you FIX it. If you're actually doing it correctly its not that boring, even slow. It gets boring playing it wrong because it sounds like slow dump instead of fast dump. Well heres a hint, quit playing dump, and it might get more interesting. Don't be the douche who says "Yeah, I'm too cool for practicing, I just want you to tell me why I'm not a god yet."

Practice playing just the downward parts first until you can play it cleanly (repeat it, of course.) Then practice just the upward part. When you can do both, then put them together. And then, after all that, bring the tempo up as much as you can WITHOUT EXTRA NOISE OR LOSS OF CONTROL.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Actually, I am not Yngwie Malmsteen and it gets boring, and it still sounds like dump.

We're telling you to play it slow so you FIX it. If you're actually doing it correctly its not that boring, even slow. It gets boring playing it wrong because it sounds like slow dump instead of fast dump. Well heres a hint, quit playing dump, and it might get more interesting. Don't be the douche who says "Yeah, I'm too cool for practicing, I just want you to tell me why I'm not a god yet."

Practice playing just the downward parts first until you can play it cleanly (repeat it, of course.) Then practice just the upward part. When you can do both, then put them together. And then, after all that, bring the tempo up as much as you can WITHOUT EXTRA NOISE OR LOSS OF CONTROL.

LOL dude take it easy... Im not trying to say "im cool and i dont praticing slowly"..

Anyway, i wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem, i will keep praticing it..slowly..
Quote by mrbabo91
When you move up from the G to the B, you need to fret the B so your finger tip is muting the G. As a bonus security method, you can use the palm of your picking hand to mute the G as well. You also need to make sure you keep your movements to a minimum and keep your index finger close to the frets as possible to mute strings.

I've never liked trivium but that guy has a really good sweeping technique. Them sweeps are clean as hell

Ok dude, thanks! will try that!

Matt is awesome!
Quote by gabocrbll
Ok dude, thanks! will try that!

Matt is awesome!

Yh he's not really my kinda player but most of them sweeps he does in that vid are spot on, a few are sloppy but i'll let him off.

Just remember to practice VERY VERY slowly

1) stop thinking in "magical sweep patterns".

2) if you mean 1:45 any note still ringing is because your right hand is pressing the neck too hard, or not muting it good enough. you dont want to stroke it so hard that you actually fret notes because they will ring as you lift up the fingers of your left hand.
(but i dont get it do have troubles only when sweep picking or when using legato only)
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Feb 18, 2012,
Quote by Slashiepie
1) stop thinking in "magical sweep patterns".

2) if you mean 1:45 any note still ringing is because your right hand is pressing the neck too hard, or not muting it good enough. you dont want to stroke it so hard that you actually fret notes because they will ring as you lift up the fingers of your left hand.
(but i dont get it do have troubles only when sweep picking or when using legato only)

how im thinking in "magical sweep patterns"?...Actually, explain to me what u mean with "magical sweep patterns"...
Last edited by gabocrbll at Feb 18, 2012,
:P

Quote by gabocrbll

this pattern i learned from..

but thats not relevant, are you having the troubles with the legato bit ? or with sweeping?
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Quote by Slashiepie
:P

but thats not relevant, are you having the troubles with the legato bit ? or with sweeping?

He already said that he was having trouble with both...