i recently watch a youtube video on how misha mansoor gets his tone so tight. and it is by this:

isp decimator>maxon od808>boss noise suppressor as well as keeley compressor always on

is this the only way to get that super tight type of tone or can a simple compressor and noise gate/suppressor do this?
I don't think he uses those pedals anymore, he does everything in his Axe-FX now as far as I know.

But yes, their tone is a lot of compression and a lot of gates.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thats when he still used ENGL.

Its all AxeFx on the debut album and every thing else is now the Axe II.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
In short, you'll never get a tight ass non-muddy djent tone when playing on your own. It's all about the guitars fitting in the mix perfectly with the bass.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

is there anyway i can set something up similar like that or is that type of pedal combo the only way to do it? is it something i can do with a single compressor and noise gate?
What amp are you using?
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

gates and a compressor and you'll be fine as long as you have a decent amp too and good technique.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
i have a vht special 6 ultra. so not a very high gain amp but i just run my mxr fullbore for my dirt tone over a clean channel on the amp. i'm actually very content with my tone at the moment but i'd like to be able to get it tighter and with more clarity of my chords.
Tbh I think you'll have a problem getting 'that' tone without an EQ. Are you going to be using this tone live or just at home?
Quote by Cathbard

do this:

compressor>noise gate>tubescreamer type boost(high level low gain)>noise gate>eq>amp

i dont 100% remember the settings but if i recall correctly you set the compressor to max or near max, which will give you lots of sustain, and you set the first gate so its on the edge of closing very hard. tubescreamer with high level low gain for added bite and etc. then set the last gate as necessary. play with the eq, but if i remember rightyou should have a spike at around 1.4 and a cut around 200. 1.4 is the upper mids and 200 is the flub.

this will give you a sort of "impossible" guitar tone, which gives alot of sustain but also makes you capable of having it very tight for staccato riffing.

they way i have mine eqed is a bit thicker, so i can sound good on my own, but if you want to do it like periphery etc their tone is actually pretty thin, and you need a huge bass sound in your mix.

i dont have any djent style samples, because im not very much into that type of music, but i found that technique in a dkent tutorial, it actually doubles as a really good doom/iommi tone

this is double tracked, with no bass. you can hear the tightness in the beginning, and the sustain at the end. all done in pod farm 2.

http://soundcloud.com/linqua/doom-test
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
It's a combination of the above mentioned TS/compressor mix, but the key is the lowass guitar tunings.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Gates and compression as mentioned, but the big thing is TECHNIQUE. If you're not a tight player, it wont matter how your tone is, its gonna be sloppy. Big reason why Periphery's stuff is so tight sounding is they're all incredibly tight and precise guitarists

EDIT: Dude, bring down the lead in that mix, you can't hear ANY of the rhythm guitars
NOPE
Last edited by Nakon14 at Feb 18, 2012,
Quote by Tom 1.0
Thats when he still used ENGL.

Its all AxeFx on the debut album and every thing else is now the Axe II.

I thought he used Blackstars
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by Nakon14
Gates and compression as mentioned, but the big thing is TECHNIQUE. If you're not a tight player, it wont matter how your tone is, its gonna be sloppy. Big reason why Periphery's stuff is so tight sounding is they're all incredibly tight and precise guitarists

EDIT: Dude, bring down the lead in that mix, you can't hear ANY of the rhythm guitars

that vid is not me :p
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by JKHC
I thought he used Blackstars

Nope. You're probably confusing him with John Browne
Quote by Cathbard

Quote by MatrixClaw
I don't think he uses those pedals anymore, he does everything in his Axe-FX now as far as I know.

But yes, their tone is a lot of compression and a lot of gates.

Im kinda curious about the compression. Compressing a signal like crazy before the gain stages will add sustain, but does it do anything else? Someone here said it adds more attack to the picking, but when I tried it, it did nothing of the sort.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Im kinda curious about the compression. Compressing a signal like crazy before the gain stages will add sustain, but does it do anything else? Someone here said it adds more attack to the picking, but when I tried it, it did nothing of the sort.

How compression works basically is that it brings everything to a more even level, so the sound of the pick attack will be louder and you'll get more sustain aswell. But you need to pick with a lot of attack in the first place.
Quote by Cathbard