Hey guys, I'm looking to sell my old acoustic (Taylor Big Baby that wasn't what I had hoped for) and have found two very different styles of Fender acoustics that I need advice on. I really like the sound and smaller size of the Tim Armstrong Hellcat (can deal with the awful inlays) especially when I'm in the dorms and outside playing. BUT, I also have been fascinated by the hybrid nylon acoustics that have been coming in, specifically the CN-240SCE (not the thinline version). I love the accessibility of the neck and the sound of nylon string guitars. Both come with fishman pickups (compared to my Big Baby which has none), and both run about $300-$350.

Any advice/experience with either guitar? I realize these are two drastically different instruments, but both have their perks in terms of my playing style.
My only advice would be to say that there are better guitars in that price range.

EDIT: Actualyl I don't know if you're looking for a pickup. Unless you absolutely need it, I would avoid it.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Feb 17, 2012,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
My only advice would be to say that there are better guitars in that price range.

EDIT: Actualyl I don't know if you're looking for a pickup. Unless you absolutely need it, I would avoid it.

Thanks. I don't suppose you'd have any suggestions for better? If I can find a hybrid nylon string with a smaller neck that isn't a thinline or a smaller concert sized acoustic for that price, I'm all ears.

*And I occasionally play in smaller venues that would benefit having a pickup system as well.
Quote by catalyst374
Hey guys, I'm looking to sell my old acoustic (Taylor Big Baby that wasn't what I had hoped for) and have found two very different styles of Fender acoustics that I need advice on. I really like the sound and smaller size of the Tim Armstrong Hellcat (can deal with the awful inlays) especially when I'm in the dorms and outside playing. BUT, I also have been fascinated by the hybrid nylon acoustics that have been coming in, specifically the CN-240SCE (not the thinline version). I love the accessibility of the neck and the sound of nylon string guitars. Both come with fishman pickups (compared to my Big Baby which has none), and both run about $300-$350.

Any advice/experience with either guitar? I realize these are two drastically different instruments, but both have their perks in terms of my playing style.

I'm fascinated that you aren't happy with the Taylor sound, but you want to cross over to a Fender. There's Taylor bright, and Fender bright, and one must assume that they're different kinds of bright. That said, to one extent or another, bright is bright. I have a Fender, "Sonoran", and it's twangy, it's possible that the "Hellcat" is twangier still.

So, what didn't you like about the Taylor?You might consider sampling other types of tonal philosophy, say Recording King, or Seagull.

The Hellcat's appearance does indeed remind me of the date that would have been perfect, had I brought a paper bag along....
Quote by Captaincranky
I'm fascinated that you aren't happy with the Taylor sound, but you want to cross over to a Fender. There's Taylor bright, and Fender bright, and one must assume that they're different kinds of bright. That said, to one extent or another, bright is bright. I have a Fender, "Sonoran", and it's twangy, it's possible that the "Hellcat" is twangier still.

So, what didn't you like about the Taylor? You might consider sampling other types of tonal philosophy, say Recording King, or Seagull.

The Hellcat's appearance does indeed remind me of the date that would have been perfect, had I brought a paper bag along....

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of Taylor's guitars, but my satisfaction with the Big Baby diminished quickly because of it's 15/16 size, lack of pickup system, and sound quality was a little thin (I essentially bought into the brand when on a lower budget). I would like to get a decent, fuller-sounding guitar because saving upwards of $1000+ just isn't realistic for me for a long, long time. I'm looking for a smaller guitar with a brighter sound like a Taylor, and was trying a couple Fenders the other day (which I usually don't do) and ended up liking the sound of a few. I'm just doing some extra research to see if there are other options out there. I can trade the BB in to my local shop for around $250-300 and am looking to keep my budget at that.
Quite honestly, body size directly affects bass. Perhaps more so in the price range we're shopping in now.

The Sonoran SCE is a dread, so the bottom is end is decent. I'm not pitching the guitar very hard. I enjoy the one I have.

You say you like the Fender sound, and this in in your price range. MF's page on this guitar is screwed up big time, as it seems the electronics specs have changed through several mutations of this axe.

The one I have (LH) has Fishman with a tuner, and as I understand it all the new stock follows this model.

Musician' Friend is having one of their percent off sales on big ticket items over the weekend,. The right hand model is a lot less than the LH, and with a discount, it would fit your budget.

I have to buy guitars opportunistically, since I'm a lefty. So, the market availability steers my shopping more than many others. So, I'm not always as much help as someone else might be for comparison between brands.

This is the natural finish model: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-sonoran-sce-acoustic-electric-guitar/h78859

There are a couple Stratocaster colors available, since Fender is trying to tie their "California Series" acoustics with their Strat/ Tele sound and reputations.