A friend of mine let me borrow his ibanez pd7 phat-head bass overdrive. I want to use it to boost my tube amp. Is this okay/safe? And if it is, is the pd7 anything at all like the ts7?

I have a two chanel dual rec, an ec-1000 with EMGs, and no other pedals.

Thanks for the help guys.
yeah its safe. just because its a bass overdrive does not matter.. all that it will do is distort your low end, as the pedal is designed for the frequency of the bass.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Dude from Melvins uses a bass overdrive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAl3A2pYFhM
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
If it's a good bass OD, you'll get a shit ton more low end response. That should be the only real difference in terms of sound.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
If it's a good bass OD, you'll get a shit ton more low end response. That should be the only real difference in terms of sound.

When you say the only difference, do you mean between the ts7 and the pd7?
i haven't done it, and would like to try it, but with a dual rec, you have plenty of low end as far as tone goes, i would imagine it would make the lows more pronounced maybe making it muddy

the tube screamer is used because it tightens up an amp. a tube screamer cuts the highs and lows. off IIRC somewhere around 400hz is the line where it is cuts the top and bottom.

if you do it, let me know. i think it could be a fun thing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by rocknroll93
yeah its safe. just because its a bass overdrive does not matter.. all that it will do is distort your low end, as the pedal is designed for the frequency of the bass.

i am sure it will make a difference. keep in mind a bass is only an octave lower than a guitar. bassists spend a decent amount of performance at or around guitar frequencies. i understand the harmonics are different, but it will do something.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by robertsanidiot
When you say the only difference, do you mean between the ts7 and the pd7?

I don't know enough about the particular pedals.

it would be the only difference between the pd7 and, say, a version of the pd7 made for guitar.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
It really depends on the bass overdrive. EHX made the Russian Muff (a guitar pedal) into their new Bass Big Muff.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Well i'm really quite anxious to try it out. I got to play with it on my vyper 30, but only for a quick minute. The clean boost mode sounded the best on an already overdriven rec chanel.

I too am afraid of mixing a bass overdrive with my already pretty bassy recto, but it has individual knobs for bass and treble. I figure if I cut enough bass on the pedal, it will sound alright.

One other thing i'm worried about is my lack of a noise suppressor. will I be fairly okay without one, or will an od put out too much noise to handle?
Quote by robertsanidiot
Well i'm really quite anxious to try it out. I got to play with it on my vyper 30, but only for a quick minute. The clean boost mode sounded the best on an already overdriven rec chanel.

I too am afraid of mixing a bass overdrive with my already pretty bassy recto, but it has individual knobs for bass and treble. I figure if I cut enough bass on the pedal, it will sound alright.

One other thing i'm worried about is my lack of a noise suppressor. will I be fairly okay without one, or will an od put out too much noise to handle?

What do you want to achieve with a noise suppressor?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
What do you want to achieve with a noise suppressor?

I just assumed a noise gate of some kind was necessary if an od was involved.
Quote by robertsanidiot
I just assumed a noise gate of some kind was necessary if an od was involved.

Depends what you want out of it. If you're aim is to reduce feedback and noise whilst still playing, it won't do that. It'll reduce or gate the signal to an amp so there is none. A cheaper alternative to that is to just turn the OD/Distortion off while you're not playing.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore