Hi, I'm building a "custom" Telecaster out of oak, and I'm planning to put a Floyd Rose Special in it. What routing templates would these fit? I don't want to rout it to be recessed as I hate recessed Floyds.

Other information if it is useful:
- One pickup (Seymour Duncan 59, Custom 5, or DiMarzio Tone Zone), humbucker in the bridge, rear routing.
- Going to have black nitro finish
- One volume knob, debating if it will have a tone knob
- Neck will be a Warmoth Pro Tele Replacement
- Maple/Maple Neck, 22 frets
- 10-16" compound radius, R3 Locking Nut
Unless you're really, really hell-bent on it being made out of oak, you might as well just order a body made to those specs from Warmoth. Frankly, oak is hard to finish, quite heavy and tonally quite bland. Oak is to ash what poplar is to alder. Even if you think oak gives you the tone you want, you might as well use pine; it sounds more or less the same, is no harder to finish and tends to weigh a bit less.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Also, pine will dent and scratch way more easily then oak, giving your tele a fast vintage beat-up look.
Look if you can find a used Charvel Tele-style San Dimas or something.
Not exactly your specs, but great guitars nonetheless.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I've already started building and I'm going to get to the routing part soon enough so I'm planning ahead of time. Buying a new guitar/body is completely out of the question. Only parts I'm buying are the neck and hardware. I'm building because it is going to be under $300-400 and my own unique creation.
fork out the little bit extra to get a Floyd Rose 1000 series. Miles ahead of the Special. Please trust me, and make that little bit extra investment. It'll be the difference between this guitar being played shitloads or being a dust collector
I agree on the floyd, I keep coming across threads where someone's having tuning problems on the cheapies.
As for the wood, I've always found oak to be really bad for splitting, how are you getting round that?
I like your thinking though regarding using something a bit different, I'm using spalted beech for the top of mine with a light coating of some sort of stain to bring the pattern out more.
Quote by Ippon

That's one sexy Tele, just mine is going to lean more towards a G&L Rampage but a telecaster, floyd, oak body, maple fretboard, and different pickup.

Quote by Twidler
I agree on the floyd, I keep coming across threads where someone's having tuning problems on the cheapies.
As for the wood, I've always found oak to be really bad for splitting, how are you getting round that?
I like your thinking though regarding using something a bit different, I'm using spalted beech for the top of mine with a light coating of some sort of stain to bring the pattern out more.

I actually haven't had any problems with my Floyd Special and it won't be recessed so its even more likely to stay in tune. Oak won't be too hard to work with, as I haven't ever gotten a split big enough to effect a guitar body, again a telecaster which has none of tose strat contours. I'm looking forward to the weight and tone, as I prefer heavy bodies so I get the opposite of neck dive and the tone with be nice and bright.
Last edited by Myaccount876 at Feb 19, 2012,
The recess doesn't cause any problem id the trem is good, I have that on my jackson, never had an issue and I do fairly dive and lift that thing lol.

Heavy bodies as in A Whole Lot Of Rosie?
I know the recession isn't a problem, just that I don't like it floating and want it to be dive-only because it makes it x100 easier to setup, you can do unison bends, bends are easier, and you never have to worry about spring tension because you just tighten it all the way and then tune up. I never even pulled back on floating bridges anyways because I use high-gauge strings in Eb so you need to pull back a lot and you feel like your strings are going to snap. Plus then I can put in a D-tuna.
Last edited by Myaccount876 at Feb 19, 2012,
Please listen to me about the Floyds. Don't cheap out unless you want dull knife edges, rusted parts and bad paint.

They won't be problems in the first 5 years but they sure as hell will at 5+ and seeing as its a guitar your making its not like your going to be selling it for anything close to the sum of its parts. So don't cheap out.
Quote by SlenderMan`
Please listen to me about the Floyds. Don't cheap out unless you want dull knife edges, rusted parts and bad paint.

They won't be problems in the first 5 years but they sure as hell will at 5+ and seeing as its a guitar your making its not like your going to be selling it for anything close to the sum of its parts. So don't cheap out.

Got it then. So this?
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolo_parts/Floyd_Rose_tremolos_and_parts/Schaller_Floyd_Rose_Locking_Tremolo_Complete_Set.html
Quote by Twidler
The schaller ones are awesomely good, I highly rate them myself.

Just I want an 1 11/16" nut width so should I just buy an R3 locking nut seperately?
If you want a good not expensive floyd style trem get a Floyd Rose 1000. Made with the same materials as the german ones and similair (i think same) machines as the original floyd roses.

Go on the RG forums ( they usually suck) but they have some FANTASTIC threads on floyds
I seem to remember reading that the schaller is the original floyd rose but the 1000 is a cheaper version using cheaper materials.

Quote by Myaccount876
Just I want an 1 11/16" nut width so should I just buy an R3 locking nut seperately?

Yeh that'd be fine as long as you have enough room up the sides of the neck. The one thing I remembered is that the floyd has a wider spacing than the hard tail so it might be to wide for the tele neck.
Quote by Twidler
I seem to remember reading that the schaller is the original floyd rose but the 1000 is a cheaper version using cheaper materials.

Yeh that'd be fine as long as you have enough room up the sides of the neck. The one thing I remembered is that the floyd has a wider spacing than the hard tail so it might be to wide for the tele neck.

1000 is same materials and similair/older machines and in Korea.