Metal forum best of 2011/Stage 5/GoatapocalypeWildchildsmum: #20

Coming in at number 20

Cormorant-Dwellings

If the music industry is truly ending, maybe we'll all be better off for it.

It might be a cliche that record labels are leeches that will suck the blood out of your creative freedom hoping to shit out money, but I'll be damned if it's not based somewhat in reality. The fact that it's now possible for musicians to completely bypass the music industry has filled me with dreams of watching record label offices burn to the ground, the charred corpses of execs still grasping onto dollar bills to protect them from the flames.

The fact that Cormorant are proving that it's possible is bringing that dream a step closer to reality. They have the support of an extremely loyal fanbase, and a legion of writers and other press folk who are awed by the band's meteoric rise in the metal community. I say "awed," but not "shocked": once you hear their music, it's easy to see why they've become so popular.

On Dwellings, the group takes Metazoa's proggy, traditional heavy metal-influenced leanings and twists them into something darker. The riffs are blacker, the vocals more painful and evocative. Did the melancholic parts in The Emigrant's Wake bring you a down a bit? If the answer is yes, then Junta will outright ruin your day.

If Cormorant can continue to put out material of this caliber, then their future will be very bright. If they continue to do it without a label, the music industry as we know it might not be so lucky. Of course, that might be a good thing.

-Scourge441
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Last edited by Riffmast at Feb 17, 2012,
Coming in at number 19.

Kerasphorus-Necronaut

This is Necronaut, the second ep of Pete Helmkamp's project Kerasphorus. The first thing I noticed about this album was the drumming. J. Read outdid himself on this album, both songs are filled to the brim with primitive bludgeoning and powerful blasts. He ties his blasts together perfectly with ridiculously fast rolls and charging fills. of the songs on the ep, my favorite would have to be Through the Spiral Void, perfect example of how the drums charge the song forward at full ferocity. The guitarist does his job great, plenty of ugly, black tinged death riffs, as well as a few more atmospheric sections. The production is great as well, especially for a release in this style; although the drums are the loudest on the mix, they don't drown out the other instruments, even giving the bass a chance to be heard. This is definitely my favorite release of the year; a very tense, violent album that will have you standing at the edge of chaos.

-dillonrips7
Quote by Steve08

Number 18

Ygg-Ygg

Hailing from the Ukraine, Ygg are a black metal band that does proud the legacy that their country boasts. With members from current heavyweights of the scene Khors and Nokturnal Mortum amongst their ranks, and featuring members of up and coming band Ulvegr (formed from the ashes of the cult favourites Runes of Dianceht) it’s of little surprise that the quality of music on this release is as high as it is.

In some respects I consider the type of music on this album to be quintessential of eastern European black metal sound. Yet in others it could be argued you’ve heard everything that’s good about it before, but I don’t feel they’ve been heard in quite this way. It takes all the element’s and melds them together and in doing so creates something far greater than the sum of its parts. You have the relentless, driving drumming of Hate Forest, the atmosphere of Walknut, Drukdh-esque riffs. You have the melodic tendencies of Khors, along with the grandeur of Nokturnal Morum and yet despite all these elements being evocative of an existing band, they still retain their identity.

-AnnihiSlateR
Quote by Steve08

Number 17

Prosanctus Inferi-Red Streams Of Flesh

Prosanctus Inferi are a truly exceptional band, and one of the premier extreme metal bands of the last decade. “Red Streams Of Flesh” begins right were the last lp “Pandemonic Ululations of Vesperic Palpitations” left off, with a signature labyrinth of chaotic, but equally developed and twisted melodies, hammering percussion that throws groove and other populist drumming tendencies, whether they be used for showmanship, or for catchyness, out the window, and on top of it all, a level of abstract insanity that no other band can touch.

Using phrasing that often sounds almost identical, with a sick and subtle variety, is were this band shines. It may sound very “samey” at first listen, but with every subsequent listen, more and more can be picked out of the hurricane of sound, leaving this a very cohesive, and also mentally stimulating work. It hints at the melodic development of albums like “Altars Of Madness” and other great classics. The pacing is quite similar to Profanatica or early Beherit at times, chaotic but not speed obsessed,very rapid, and violent. Rhythmic variety general takes the back seat for the sake of the melodic development, and it creates a very insane atmosphere that is easy to get lost in. The vocal work has no hint of rage or distress in it, rather it is nihilistic,removed and horrific, working on a mid to high range.

The thing that shines the most is this use of dissonant counter melodies(though not in the strict sense of the term), like at 2:07 on “Bent In Genfulexion”. This EP keeps a very limited riff lexicon on the macro level, but is all over the place on the micro level of the actual phrasing, and the total sum of it's parts is not easily quantifiable, and go far beyond it's basic properties. Prosanctus Inferi are using the basic, and conservative building blocks of early 90's Death and Black Metal, with no bells or whistles to distract the audience from quality, and yet are pushing boundaries, and functioning within their own niche. The short lived and frantic pace makes it impossible for this to ever get boring, clocking in at a mere 19 minutes. The best of this year's Metal?,perhaps.Fans of genuinely progressive metal(as in forward thinking, not Rush riffs on a seven string guitar) will love this, fans of overly accessible and banal metal will scoff at it, claiming it to be generic and silly, but that is nothing new. 8.9/10

-Riffmast
Quote by Steve08

Can you bump this Stranglehold?, you never replied to my message.
Quote by Steve08

Shite, sorry man - taken care of now.

edit - I know that counter-melody part you're talking about, its fucking class.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Thanks!, yeah it's just one of those parts that grab you.
Quote by Steve08

My reviews look like ass compared to these, what the balls. Mind if I redo one or two? haha

EDIT: Excellent work by the way.
Sure, we need

Cianide - Gods of Death
Disma-Towards The Megalith
Absu - Abzu

to be completed before we move much further.
Quote by Steve08

not until we have all the reviews
Quote by Steve08

Perfect, tomorrow you'll get my redone ones and Cianide. I'll also listen to Abzu tomorrow too, but really, if someone else wants to do that one, be my guest.
Awesome thanks.Who ever voted for Abzu should do it, i would, but it was'nt a standout album for me.
Quote by Steve08

Ugh, is this still not done? Get your shit together, people.

Not you Riffmast, you've done well to get it this far with all these lazy bastards not writing reviews they said they would.
I did not vote Absu, nor have I listened to that record all the way through. I'll do Disma tomorrow if no one else has claimed/will claim it.
I've already done 3 reviews and I haven't listened to Absu, and I don't like Disma enough to do one. I might have 3 months ago or whenever this started, but not now.

Mitochondrion-Parasignosis

This band and this album in particular is a perfect example of an auditory assault. Such hellish, chaotic songs were clearly the product of the rape of free will by the 137. There is something uncompromisingly dark and anti-human about this band, and I can’t quite put my finger on it, maybe it’s the imagery, or the relentlessness, or the lyrics...or a combination of everything. But, either way Parasignosis will leave the listener exhausted. Compared with Archaean, the production values have increased, but interestingly enough, this has added a new level of depth to the feel of band. Where Archaean possessed certain rawness, Parasignosis has a bludgeoning effect, coupled with the gravitational force of a black hole. All (shitty) metaphors aside, this album speaks for itself; the music coupled with the artwork/imagery is on a certain level terrifying. “Strike down Saturn, you shall never consume me.” -technicolour

Absu-Abzu

Blistering and technical, but very melodic. Absu have broken away from their Black/Thrash style in some senses, a very exotic and almost prog like style permeates through their music now. Like it or loath it, Proscriptor drums like a mad-man and this is a high energy album that does not let up long enough for the listener to catch their breath. Absu continues to explore fanciful,exotic territories in their phrasing, while still keeping some level of aggression, this really is not so extreme in any field other than the pacing,which may leave some fans jaded, but the songwriting is fairly solid and it achieves what it sets out to do.-Riffmast
Quote by Steve08

Last edited by Riffmast at Apr 1, 2012,
Not 16! ):

Anyways, I'll try to have that Disma review by you at the end of the night. Got some studying to do first.
Last edited by technicolour at Mar 11, 2012,

Disma-Towards The Megalith

The first time I attempted to listen to this album fully was just after someone had told me it was a good album to listen to while high. So I smoked some K2 (synthetic bullshit) and got comfy. Unfortunately, it was a bad idea; because that was the first time I had smoked K2 and extensively listened to this album. After a couple of tracts I was freaking the **** out because my mind had me lost in a deep cave being grinded alive by the stalactites and stalagmites like giant teeth, while some golem beat on a snare drum that was carved out of a boulder. The second time I listened to the album (and made it all the way through) I realized the drugs were only part of the effect (mostly the freaking out part) and that this album, in itself, does in fact have a deep cavernous vibe. The vocals and snare especially have a great echo-y touch. The deep growls are powerful and oppressive, and the riffs are wonderful (not to mention plentiful!). Though they are more standard and less “twisting” than say Incantation, they are still evil and well executed. The overall effect is a pounding, bombastic assault both during fast paced blasting and slow doom-laden trudges. The production is relatively clean, compared to some of their contemporaries, but thankfully the atmosphere is not lost. If you want to know what it feels like to mentally be buried underneath a mountain and consumed by it’s roots, check this album out.
-technicolour

Stay tuned, next up we have a 3 way tie.
Quote by Steve08

Last edited by Riffmast at Mar 13, 2012,
11+12+13=Three way tie.

Lord Vicar - Signs of Osiris

Lord Vicar's Signs of Osiris opens with the (almost) title track "Sing of Osiris Slain" and closes with "Sing of Osiris Risen" but perhaps a more fitting title would be "Signs of Black Sabbath Risen," because it is Sabbath worship at it's finest. Though other influences from the faster metal genres are present, Signs of Osiris delivers tracks ranging from groovy stoner-rock influenced metal nubers all the way to deathly-paced doom, with two tracks clocking in over 9 minutes and one over 14 delivering both styles and everything in between. Tying in 11th place on our list, Signs of Osiris is a must for any doom metal fan.

Stand out tracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz5VvgTEKBQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2iQT8jCR4&feature=related

-Butt Rayge

Cianide - Gods of Death

Cianide - Gods of Death Christ, where to begin with these guys, such power...Stemming from Chicago, these death metal elites have brought yet another old school death metal album. It's an incredibly heavy, mildly melodic, foray into that territory they can call home. Unfortunately, if you're expecting another The Dying Truth, this does pale in comparison, however, don't let that stop you from listening. This album does heavy like no other, Cianide does heavy like no other. Perfectly spot on with the typical style of OSDM, and it tends to wander into more of a speedier death metal compared to the death/doom style they've shown on their earlier albums (Hence my personal disappointment). Essentially, it tends to hit some very familiar territory, but don't let that get you down, it's still an album composed of crushing riffs and those Cianide vocals we all know and love.

-severed-metal

Primordial - Redemption at the Puritan's Hand

(Invalid img)

This is the latest release from one of the most infamous irish metal bands, Primordial. A band known for writing superb celtic/folk/black metal as well as having a very engaging and impassioned live performance. Redemption at the Puritan’s Hand follows after the successful and greatly received To the Nameless Dead, an album that would be quite difficult to top, and whether or not the latter trumps the former will probably differ depending on who you ask. Some would argue that this album has a slightly darker feel than the last owing to songs like God’s old snake, and The black hundred, but overall, I wouldn’t say there’s a significant difference. This record contains the same elements that have been prevalent on the band’s last couple albums, but most recognizable; the heartfelt vocal performance by singer Nemtheanga. The role of the rest of the band should not be down played however, most if not all of the songs have memorable passages and solid structure. Harsh vocals also make various appearances as they have in the past, most notable in the chorus of No Grave deep enough and God’s old snake. These add a nice contrast to the clean mournful vocals, adding some more bite where necessary. I believe the main difference between this album and most albums (namely to the Nameless Dead, and somewhat to The Gathering Wilderness) is that where To the Nameless Dead mainly focused on the struggles of Nations, Cultures, and Empires, Redemption at the Puritan’s hand takes a closer look at the individual struggles within those broader ones. Or, put in another way, TTND looks inwards from the outside, while RATPH looks outward from the inside. Of course this doesn’t necessarily make any judgements towards the quality of the music, both are done quite well. Just like on previous albums there are moments that stay with the listener, usually lyrical passages that are ingrained within the listener’s memory because of how the lines and vocal melody are complemented by the rest of the song. When those moments are may vary from person to person, however this is where my only complaint arises with this album. I feel that when compared with To the Nameless Dead this album lacks in consistency when it comes to memorable moments, not that they are few and far between, just less. But, in the end I believe if you are a fan of Primordial’s previous works you will most certainly take something away from this album. The style remains unchanged from the last album, but this release doesn’t flounder around either, it is a solid record when standing on it’s own.

-technicolour
Quote by Steve08

Sorry for the delay, Will try to get this finished by months end, will probably spam many a few days after my last exam.
Quote by Steve08

Arkham Witch-On Crom's Mountain

We come in our longships We don´t take any bullshit We just take all of your shit Viking Pirates of Doom! We come to your island We come to break the silence We come for sex and violence! Viking Pirates of Doom! If reading those lyrics isn't enough to convince you to listen the shit out of Arkham Witch's 'On Crom's Mountain,' then you are not man enough to use this forum. Whimps and poseurs, leave the hall. Okay, okay, I'll do an actual review, if I must... Featuring members of The Lamp of Thoth, Arkham Witch delivers an album full of heavy metal, doom, and even classic rock tracks very reminiscent of The Lamp. Killer riffs, thumping bass and drums, soaring vocals, catchy choruses and cheeky lyrics clash and combine to create a cacophony of clever and classy classic metal. Arkham Witch will take you on a journey of demonic necromancy, battles and sieges, witch burnings, Viking pirate raids and hauntings, and finally leave you exhausted On Crom's Mountain, where you will realise that they are well deserving of their #10 spot on our list. Stand out tracks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-iOwQpnbLQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWm63MiWkLU

-Butt Rayge
Quote by Steve08

Last edited by Riffmast at Apr 25, 2012,
8+9 Tie

Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa

Moonsorrow's 2011 full-length album Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa (As Shadows We Walk in the Land of the Dead) displays an even more explorative and diverse musical approach than that of previous releases, evident from the very first doom-laden chords of Tähdetön and continuing throughout the work. This album is both progressive and regressive simultaneously in character, for it establishes and masters new territory for the band while continuing the incorporation of black metal that began on Verisäkeet. Nonetheless, it contains no dearth of the fundamental elements that define Moonsorrow and thus takes a brave stand trying to maintain equilibrium between the preservation of time-honored character and the evolution forwards. As Moonsorrow have demonstrated several times in the past, however, they are experts at this and succeed with flying colors on this newest album. The production of Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa is colossal and full of bass, a style customary for the band, yet it is less clearly defined, especially in the guitars. This provides a much rawer presentation than on previous outputs, one which nicely complements the darker and more serious content. The instrumentation is incredibly coherent and all of the members seem to act as one through the songs. The keyboards and guitars elegantly intertwine, dancing back and forth and supporting one another while the drums give each theme a distinct character. The bass is very audible in the mix, though it does not often take the helm. Ville Sorvali deserves top recognition for his tremendous vocal delivery on Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa, which possibly goes unrivaled in the Moonsorrow catalog. His powerful rasp is highly emotive and even sounds tortured at times, and with the aid of his band members in singing and chanting he gives the music a marvelously poignant sense of personality. The lengthy epics comprising this album are composed brilliantly, with each main motif expanding, developing, and revisiting riffs and melodies until it climaxes and a gentle, smooth transition carries the listener to the next idea. The energy of the music builds and decays in cycles corresponding to the presentation of the main themes, creating a very dynamic experience. The songs feel whole and nothing is out of place. Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa is new and fresh in many ways, yet it is still undoubtedly Moonsorrow at its core; it is this flexibility of adding new elements while retaining a strong presence of the band's quintessential self-described style of "epic heathen metal" that allows them to continually produce strong albums without losing their unique identity as a band or alienating their fan base. The melodies are timeless and the album ages very well, making itself comfortably at home in the Moonsorrow discography.

-P1ayingW1thF1re
-----------------------------------------------------
Necros Christos-Doom Of The Occult

(As an off-hand note, this album was amazing, I really should have listened to it more before I cast my votes) Come with me, Baʿal Zebûb, we shall venture from Ekron, the temple where I was worshiped, to the the loathsome entrance of Gave V beneath the mount near Dehenet. This, my people, is a journey. Transcending a mere story, this..speaks in the devil's voice to quell your earthly desires, you will succumb to it, and speak evil. Aside from the concept, the inherently brooding riffs, Mors Dolos Ra casting warning, and the interludes between the black/death metal keep a certain balance, just enough to give you a perspective of the music of the middle east, and the land you are now you traveling through... My name is Baal-Sebul I am King of Ekron A Baal of the Highest My Kingdom is Tehom I strike down all morals I'm the ruler of man As I'm Baal of Ekron My reign is at hand

-severed-metal
Quote by Steve08

All the reviews are in though, right??
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
They are, as far as I am aware. Yet this lays dormant regardless. Oh well. Better luck next year?

We didn't have a silly popularity contest at the end of 2011, either, but for that I am grateful.