Hey everyone, this is my new project. Its my first that ive ever done without purchasing a premade body. The picture is just a full sized design/outline, not my template (my template will be much more accurate, this was just lifesized picture for me to figure out how much wood I need to get).

The body is going to bemade out of mahogany. The left neck is going to be 12 string and the right 6 string. Im going to use lace alumitone humbuckers on the 12 string and im going to use a tony iommi humbucker on the 6 string bridge and an alumitone deathbucker for the neck. My goal is to create two completely different tones in the same guitar, so for right now im giving this instrument the nickname "two-face". Tell me what you think

Build budget: $1600-$1700

Last edited by Wyocaster at Feb 18, 2012,
personally. for the mid part between the necks.
id maybe add the curve of the cutaway from the top guitar rather than having the V shape angle

i could mess around with the ML & stealth or dime dixie rebel shapes to give you various ideas if you like??
Quote by Wisthekiller
You will need some chambering. Or a back brace.

How do I do that?

Quote by Dave8706
i could mess around with the ML & stealth or dime dixie rebel shapes to give you various ideas if you like??

That would be awesome!
ewww
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Wyocaster
How do I do that?

To chamber, make the guitar in two layers (top and bottom, each a bit more than half as thick as the guitar) and in between the layers, drill out a lot of little holes (not all the way through) to relieve the weight. A Les Paul made of mahogany I have sitting by me right now is a bit over 10lbs. A double neck ML would be about 20 or so.

Xray of a Les Paul: http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/Gibson_Tim/1998LPstandardradiograph.jpg

The holes are the chambering/weight relief. They aren't visible, but help stop you from breaking your back.
Quote by Wyocaster
How do I do that?

That would be awesome!

Yeah, that thing will be very heavy without some chambering. If I were you, when you make your MDF template, make another one but add the chambering holes/cavities so that when you route out your body, you can route out the cavities. Make sure you don't route anywhere near the pickup locations, and the bridge/tailpiece. Those will have to be mounted on the body. You will also need a top to cover the chambering. Here is a pic of a les paul with most of the inner cavity cut out. From what I can see, he left 3/4" on the sides, and the bottom he left 1/2". I think I might do this to a future build.

Quote by bghk6581
Here is a pic of a les paul with most of the inner cavity cut out. From what I can see, he left 3/4" on the sides, and the bottom he left 1/2". I think I might do this to a future build.

Isn't that a picture of a semi-hollowbody?

Quote by Wisthekiller
make the guitar in two layers (top and bottom, each a bit more than half as thick as the guitar)

Why would the layers be more than half as thick as the guitar?

Thanks for all the information everyone, i really appreciate it
what scales are the guitars going to be?
do you want the necks straight. or the 12string angled up alittle bit
Quote by Wyocaster
Isn't that a picture of a semi-hollowbody?

Why would the layers be more than half as thick as the guitar?

Thanks for all the information everyone, i really appreciate it

The picture is of a weight-relieved solid body.

And more than half as thick so you have a little room to sand it down so it doesn't become too thin.
Quote by Dave8706
what scales are the guitars going to be?
do you want the necks straight. or the 12string angled up alittle bit

I'm going to be using Warmoth necks with the warmoth pro scale (its the only choice with 12 string necks). It doesn't say what scale it is but i'm assuming that its 25.5 because their necks are built to fender specs. I want the necks to be parallel.
Thanks for your help man

The picture is of a weight-relieved solid body. And more than half as thick so you have a little room to sand it down so it doesn't become too thin.

Ok, that makes sense
Last edited by Wyocaster at Feb 18, 2012,

heres one.
its a big yin! 23" long x 21.2" wide

scaled down the body a little
for this one
19.68" long x 19.21 wide
Last edited by Dave8706 at Feb 18, 2012,
nice idea......I did something similar but not

chambered top half to balance the weight with the bottom wood
Am I the only one who finds these atrocious? And OP, I wouldn't really waste so much money on a build when you don't know some of these basic things. Do some more studying, I would not want to put 1700 into my first build and have it turn out shitty. Best of luck thouhg
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by Dave8706

heres one.
its a big yin! 23" long x 21.2" wide

scaled down the body a little
for this one
19.68" long x 19.21 wide

Dave, you're awesome! thank you so much!

Quote by sytharnia1560
nice idea......I did something similar but not

That guitar is sick man, i love the headstocks.
Quote by Wyocaster
Dave, you're awesome! thank you so much!

gimme a few minutes. i'll sort you out with a download link
I dunno why I didn't notice this thread sooner
Dean actually done a doubleneck ML. I love the ML shape but I think this is the most hideous thing they've ever built. It's the Dean That Should Not Be. The 12 string headstock is hilarious

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
A Les Paul made of mahogany I have sitting by me right now is a bit over 10lbs. A double neck ML would be about 20 or so.(Invalid img)