..until you've learned the meaning of the blues."

Pretty simple question; Do you think that generally a person needs to experience heartbreak or something along those lines to really appreciate and "know" love? Or do you think that people can fall into the same kind of love without ever experiencing heartbreak?

I'm speaking generally, as there's always gonna be exceptions with questions like this. When I think about all the relationships with myself and friends I've had, it almost always seems like this is always the case, so that's partially why I'm asking. I sort of lean on the fence with it.
I thought of the White Stripes song.

But yeah, I think in general you gotta have that heartbroken feel at some point in your life as kindof a reference point at least.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Yes
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.

YOU JUST DO AS YOU'RE TOLD

http://youtu.be/HAcyTsddDww?t=1m19s
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Last edited by lushacrous at Feb 18, 2012,
Quote by lushacrous

YOU JUST DO AS YOU'RE TOLD

http://youtu.be/YLmIlVJYEtw?t=1m21s
Was actually gonna watch, but then came a non-skippable advertisement. Sorry, mane.
Quote by The Madcap
Was actually gonna watch, but then came a non-skippable advertisement. Sorry, mane.

Fixed my post
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

No. I do think they need to date longer than 3 months, though.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by lushacrous
Fixed my post

When I clicked that link, because I felt like hearing that song, it took me to like 1:19 in the vid. O_o

I don't think that you need to, but it helps, and that's certainly an expedient way to learn some necessary lessons.
Quote by Flying Couch
When I clicked that link, because I felt like hearing that song, it took me to like 1:19 in the vid. O_o

duh, because that's the part that comes after that line
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

That was probably the only song I really didn't like off of Icky Thump
Nah, I'd say someone can love without having been heartbroken at some point, but I'd say someone who has been through that will appreciate the good times more.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
Quote by bradulator
That was probably the only song I really didn't like off of Icky Thump

Aww I love that song and I hate "Conquest".
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

I thought this was going in a different direction.

Apparently some super cool bros got here before me.

High-five me, bros.

~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by lushacrous
Aww I love that song and I hate "Conquest".

I've always thought Conquest was awesome. I'm gonna need to listen to that album tomorrow.
I think heartbreak makes you appreciate the love you once had. Also makes you hate the person forever afterwards.
Obviously you can fall in love without experiencing heartbreak, but i guess once you have your heart broken as i said you appreciate it more.
Next time i fall in love i know i'm gonna try and cherish every day of it son.
I know right now at this very point in time i'm trying to remember the good times. It's definitely extremely hard though given the circumstances.
Last edited by vayne92 at Feb 18, 2012,
Yes, I think so.
I don't think it's until you've experienced at least some sort of affection for another person, that you can truly define what love is for yourself. And it's a continual process. Every relationship, every date, you're going to be making an addendum to your definition. "Fine tuning" the definition, if you will.
At least, that's been my experience.
Quote by Controlpanel
Yes

/thread
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Probably not. Maybe you don't recognize it while you have it until the pain comes, but I'm going to say that it's possible to love without experiencing heartbreak first.

Appreciating it is a different story, though, if that's what you're asking. I say you absolutely have to experience heartbreak to appreciate love.
Quote by D&DLover
Appreciating it is a different story, though, if that's what you're asking. I say you absolutely have to experience heartbreak to appreciate love.

This definitely.

/thread
I can't speak for others, but I definitely looked at things (films, relationships in general) differently after I'd been in love. Being heartbroken was the worst feeling I've ever felt and I've avoided long-term relationships completely since then. I'll have one night stands, and any phonecalls/text messages I receive after that I just ignore.
Quote by moscaespañol

BUT NAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE PREEEETTTTTYYYYYYY BAAAAAAAAAAAA-AAAAAAAAAAAAAA-AAAAAAAAAAAA-AAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBYYYYYYY
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Fact is nobody has ever proven smoking to cause cancer.
Most things in life arent appreciated till lost. Its hard for a person to know the meaning of something without experiencing life without it. Its just how we work.
I believe when we experience love, youve either had a lover, or are just experiencing love for the first time. So for a first timer, you wont really be able to appreciate it until youv lost it.