Page 1 of 2
How much bass do you usually play with in your sound? Do you put the bass up loads in order to get a really big sound or do you prefer less lows? Personally i play with the bass almost all the way up, often using my bass eq for added low end, to get a really big sound >.>
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Feb 18, 2012,
It's a bit of a hassle. I use a lot of bass down in the 20-40hz range, so I have to resist turning it up. I do like to have very audible and distinct bass, though, which means I have to pretty much eliminate the fundamental from the notes I play.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
i prefer to have everything pretty much balanced, i like to keep everything as natural sounding as possible.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Y00p
At home I have quite a bunch of low-end. In the band, I dial it out a bit.

This.
RIP Gooze

cats
My bass is cut almost all the way out. My tone is tighter than virgin tang.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I just took the mid control off my amp and left it on zero. Who even needs mids?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
you have to split up the frequencies between the instruments...

so bass out of the guitar...you have a bassguitar for that. (up to 100hz)

if you have 2 guitars...one should take out the middle and the other should reduce low mids and the highs.

so that every instrument, vocals as well have their room
I love bass so at home I turn it up but in my band I turn down the bass cos it soy ds so much better and less muddy when the bass player does it (for obvious reasons).
My go-to EQ setting is with the bass on 4/10. The music I play lends itself to fairly midsy tone, and I keep the Highs up pretty high too, with the presence at about 6/10. Love me some Marshall mids.
idk usually for me it's easy to hear the sweet spot between 'too much bass' and 'not enough bass', and either of those sounds bad to me so I don't really have much of a choice.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
These are my amp EQ settings:

Plenty of bass, as you can see. Huge sound.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Too much bass in a guitar tone sounds like shit. It doesn't make it "big", it just makes muddy and indistinct. It's bad enough playing on your owning that, but try putting that sound in a band situation and it's 10 times worse.
Unless you have a particularly bright amp if you're bass is higher than the mids or treble then you need new ears!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Offworld92
My bass is cut almost all the way out. My tone is tighter than virgin tang.

"Yo, that shit is tighter than selina gomez."

-my buddy when he dials in a nice tone.
Quote by steven seagull
Too much bass in a guitar tone sounds like shit. It doesn't make it "big", it just makes muddy and indistinct. It's bad enough playing on your owning that, but try putting that sound in a band situation and it's 10 times worse.
Unless you have a particularly bright amp if you're bass is higher than the mids or treble then you need new ears!

It sounds great. You need to listen to some Kyuss http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXGu81Rk1g
if you want big sound consider:
  • signal splitter with multiple amps
  • 4x12 cabs with 4 different speakers
  • very fast and tight delays
  • a good reverb
  • octavers, up and down

any of these things will make your sound bigger, but it can get muddy really easily if you're not careful
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by Zoot Allures
Quote by steven seagull
Too much bass in a guitar tone sounds like shit.
It sounds great. You need to listen to some Kyuss http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXGu81Rk1g

I'm with Mark/Seagull on this :p
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by Zoot Allures

Funnily enough I was listening to this song the other day, there's particularly short colleague at work and i Skyped it at him with the comment "this song is about you".

Great song, but the reverb is the biggest contributor to the sound being "big", not the bass - the bass gives it that sludgy tone which works great for stoner rock. Maybe this is a subjective thing, but to me it just sounds like someone chucked a duvet over the speakers

I'm not exactly a massive Metallica fan, but for me the opening of Sad But True pretty much sums up my idea of a "big" sound - bear in mind that the bassy part of the overall sound is coming from, well, the bass player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AjScYSuGJ4
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yes. the delay / reverb can do it. that like joe perry - part of his sound is using some reverb and a hint of delay always. a ton of 80s guys did the same thing (think journey or hair metal).

but true, you dont want to sound muddy. natural presence and bass frequencies will sound best naturally. ie:

cab. good setup or even to an extreme - 15" speakers. i know a guy who mixes a a 1x12 and a 1x15.

solid amp. they sound better in every way, including lowend

guitar - pickups, setup / layout, STRINGS!

string have a huge impact on low end. massive. try a set of 8s and then a set of 13s and tell me its not night and day. this is why al lthose blues guys have that smooth tone that sounds so thick. they dont have thier bass jacked - its just a quality amp. The thick milkshake tone they are getting is their playing style and rig of course but the strings.

thikn SRV, kenny wayne sheperd, etc. even others use fatter lower ones like gilmour and his signature sets.
Lots of bass doesn't automatically mean "big" sound. Too much bass is just a muddy mess.

In my opinion, the best ways to get a big sound is to use string sets with thicker bottom strings (9-46's, 10-52's, 11-54's), roll the gain back to the absolute MINIMAL amount required for your music, pick 20% harder (but don't pound the strings like a retard), and use low-mounted high-output pickups to pick up the wood's resonation.

Essentially, make more of your tone come from your guitar than letting your amp do the work.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Lots of bass doesn't automatically mean "big" sound. Too much bass is just a muddy mess.

In my opinion, the best ways to get a big sound is to use string sets with thicker bottom strings (9-46's, 10-52's, 11-54's), roll the gain back to the absolute MINIMAL amount required for your music, pick 20% harder (but don't pound the strings like a retard), and use low-mounted high-output pickups to pick up the wood's resonation.

Essentially, make more of your tone come from your guitar than letting your amp do the work.

yeah this is the way i do it. except for the thing about pickups, because wood is not magnetic.

edit: "who even needs mids"? well, the answer would be people who play instruments where the fundamental frequencies lie within the mid-range of frequencies need mids... like guitarists
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Feb 18, 2012,
Quote by ikey_
yes. the delay / reverb can do it. that like joe perry - part of his sound is using some reverb and a hint of delay always. a ton of 80s guys did the same thing (think journey or hair metal).

but true, you dont want to sound muddy. natural presence and bass frequencies will sound best naturally. ie:

cab. good setup or even to an extreme - 15" speakers. i know a guy who mixes a a 1x12 and a 1x15.

solid amp. they sound better in every way, including lowend

guitar - pickups, setup / layout, STRINGS!

string have a huge impact on low end. massive. try a set of 8s and then a set of 13s and tell me its not night and day. this is why al lthose blues guys have that smooth tone that sounds so thick. they dont have thier bass jacked - its just a quality amp. The thick milkshake tone they are getting is their playing style and rig of course but the strings.

thikn SRV, kenny wayne sheperd, etc. even others use fatter lower ones like gilmour and his signature sets.

Billy Gibbons uses 8s, and I think he has great tone, just sayin'

OT, I keep the bass low for cleans and low gain, but jack them up a bit for high gain, especially rhythm. Also if I want super smooth leads ala Eric Johnson I'll roll back the tone knob and up the bass on my OD, works great.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
never really thought of bass as being the basis for a "big" sound. within a band if all the instruments fill a certain segment of the tonal range that to me results in a "big sound". i play a SSS strat so it's not a bass heavy guitar to begin with. doesn't mean that the guitar tone can't have real balls though. i prefer to let the bass do it's job and have a guitar tone with some bite to it.
I EQ the amp so it sounds best in the mix - whatever that takes. If the bass player has a massive sound then I'll have less bass dialed in. It's not all about you, it's about how the band sounds as a unit; anything else is narcissism.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
sure he uses 8s. he doesnt sound a thing like SRV. Billy has great tone but its a really fuzzed up tone and he has a very unique playing style. i would really classify his sound a "big" .

its darn good though.
I've got sorta a djenty tone going on right now, so it sounds big in the sense that my mids are roaring, but i dont have too much bass. bass guitar takes care of that
NOPE
Quote by robertsanidiot
"Yo, that shit is tighter than selina gomez."

-my buddy when he dials in a nice tone.

That is awesome.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I start off with a very thin and cutting sound:

Treble-cranked
Mids-11 o'clock
Bass-0

and then I keep my fuzz engaged the whole time and use the volume on my guitar to clean up. My amp isn't very good, and my fuzz is very thick, so if I EQ any other way I get too muddy/farty.
Bass is always on 10 with my half-stack, but my amp is pretty bright sounding so that's why. Bass: 9-10 Mids: 6 Treble: 7

See sig for head and cabinet.
Let me see. . .

Usual amp settings:

bass:9 or 10

mids: 0 or 10, but almost never anything between.

Treble. 8 or 10.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Clean channel:
7-8-8-8 (eq with bass boost, flat mids, slight treble roll-off)

Dirt:
7-8-8-8

Yep. With my amp in particular, boosting the bass lets it break up easily at gigging volume, hence the clean channell bass boost.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by pinheadslts75
Turn it up to the point where it's strong but doesn't start to flub out.

+1
Or just buy a 4x18 and crank it. /kidding.

To add to my earlier post, here's what that sounds like:
http://soundcloud.com/twostep-band/flat-tire-in-topeka-live
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Feb 18, 2012,
I'd like to refer you to two examples. Jimmy Page and Tony Iommi. Neither use much bass, neither have a big sound but both have a HUGE mix. It's all about where you sit in the mix. Unless you are up there all by yourself, your individual sound is almost irrelevant. If you are in a band you have to EQ as a band, not as a soloist.
You can have the most epic sound on the planet when you are on your own but when everybody else starts playing you'll probably sound crap - and what's worse you'll ALL sound like crap. The audience won't know why you sound crap or who is responsible, they'll just know the band sounds crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I'd like to refer you to two examples. Jimmy Page and Tony Iommi. Neither use much bass, neither have a big sound but both have a HUGE mix. It's all about where you sit in the mix. Unless you are up there all by yourself, your individual sound is almost irrelevant. If you are in a band you have to EQ as a band, not as a soloist.
You can have the most epic sound on the planet when you are on your own but when everybody else starts playing you'll probably sound crap - and what's worse you'll ALL sound like crap. The audience won't know why you sound crap or who is responsible, they'll just know the band sounds crap.

You know my views on Jimmys tone so i don't agree with that... I wish Josh Homme still sounded like he did back in Kyuss too.
Even you can't say that Zep's overall sound didn't kick arse, whether you like Jimmy himself or not. As a band they had their shit together. Everything complimented everything else.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Even you can't say that Zep's overall sound didn't kick arse, whether you like Jimmy himself or not. As a band they had their shit together. Everything complimented everything else.

This is true and i enjoy Led Zep, but i think he could have had a better sound. Although to be fair, that isn't really just a 'lack of bass' thing, i like Iommis sound for instance in Black Sabbath so personal preference does come into it.

But you like Kyuss too right?
Page 1 of 2