High quality guitar straps? I am not quite sure what I am looking for.

I am open to any style or material. Just not sure where to start or what is good. Would be very interested in "locking" guitar straps.

It will be for an electric guitar.
Just get any strap that feels comfortable to you, and spend an extra $15 on some straplocks. I prefer a strap around 2" wide. Too thin and it feels like it's cutting into my shoulder, too thick and it rubs on my neck funny.

Straplocks are usually pretty easy to install yourself. I've put them on 2 different guitars, and it was a 5 minute job.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Oh, I guess I didn't realize strap locks were aftermarket? For some reason I thought they came with a strap (if it was a feature of that strap). Thanks!
Your mileage may vary, but in my experience, I prefer locking buttons on the guitar over locking straps. I like the Schaller style. I've tried the Dunlops, too, switched those back to Schallers. There are also generic equivalents that are fully compatible. They are also the most common type out there, so it's more likely that you'll be able to use your straps with other peoples guitars if you go with the Schallers. Some high-end guitars come with them; I've never seen a factory guitar use a different locking system.

As for straps, I like the Fender straps that come with some of their guitars that I bought another one in blue for my Daphne blue guitar. I also have had good luck with the LM nylon straps and the Dickies Amped straps. Get'm Get'm straps have worked well for me, too.

The main thing I'd avoid are the straps with some elasticity to them. A guitar I bought at a pawn shop came with one of those and it was so ratty I just threw it away. Didn't even want to touch that without gloves. I think the guy who pawned it was trying to keep people from buying the guitar because it was also missing all the strings and a string lock block in the trem.

If you go with strap lock buttons chances are the screws will be smaller than the existing button screws. Just shave some slivers of wood from a toothpick and put them in there with the screw to take up the extra space.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Feb 18, 2012,
SOME straps do have a sort of locking plastic clip on the end, but I wouldn't trust them. The dunlop straplocks have ball bearings and a steel pin that keep the lock from coming out.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Quote by Killsocket
Oh, I guess I didn't realize strap locks were aftermarket? For some reason I thought they came with a strap (if it was a feature of that strap). Thanks!

No, you're part right. A few straps come with locking systems. Like the DiMarzios. Those are really lame because you have to screw part of the strap into the guitar permanently. So if you want to use different color straps on the same guitar they won't match and they all have to be DiMarzios. WTFO? Plus they might be tough fit in some guitar cases and they can wear on the finish.

Others have sliding parts to lock to standard guitar buttons. These one-size fits all approaches won't necessarily work well with all button designs.

The vast majority of the pros go with the Schaller-style locking buttons. You can get a set for the guitar, then get additional parts that go on the strap for extra straps. Allparts and Stew Mac should have them pretty cheap.
Levey's makes a nice leather strap
I almost exclusively use a leather strap, except for my G-400 I have a strap made out of Seatbelt material.
I also use Schaller and Dunlop straplocks both are equaly good IMO.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jpatan
SOME straps do have a sort of locking plastic clip on the end, but I wouldn't trust them. The dunlop straplocks have ball bearings and a steel pin that keep the lock from coming out.

+1

The reason I threw away my Dunlops was they didn't always lock on the first try. About 5% of the time I'd think they were locked, but they weren't and I almost dropped the guitar a couple of times. Also they were actually bulkier than the Schallers.

The Schaller system will still hold the guitar pretty well even if the lock doesn't engage. It wouldn't be enough for guitar spinning antics, but it would hold for regular use. The Dunlops will just drop it as soon as it's under load. Yeah, you can work around that by always double checking, but what if you get in a rush or someone else does it and doesn't know better?
Last edited by jetwash69 at Feb 18, 2012,
Quote by jetwash69
+1

The reason I threw away my Dunlops was they didn't always lock on the first try. About 5% of the time I'd think they were locked, but they weren't and I almost dropped the guitar a couple of times. Also they were actually bulkier than the Schallers.

The Schaller system will still hold the guitar pretty well even if the lock doesn't engage. It wouldn't be enough for guitar spinning antics, but it would hold for regular use. The Dunlops will just drop it as soon as it's under load. Yeah, you can work around that by always double checking, but what if you get in a rush or someone else does it and doesn't know better?

I had the same problem with my dunlops once, and I found that the ball bearings had rusted a bit, and weren't engaging properly. I put a drop of oil into each pin, and it's worked flawlessly since then.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Quote by Equivalence
Check out Couch guitar straps.

Couch.
Dunlop sraploks, or if you have munezz for a strap for every guitar, screw it on.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by jetwash69
So if you want to use different color straps on the same guitar they won't match and they all have to be DiMarzios. WTFO?

OH NOES! What a disaster to not be able to use different colour straps
Quote by WtrPlyr
OH NOES! What a disaster to not be able to use different colour straps

like I said in a previous post, your mileage may vary.

Just considerations for the TS and anyone else wanting to learn the ins and outs quickly and without wasting money to learn things the hard way. It's all a matter of preference.
I love the ClipLock strap. It's not for everyone, but it works for me. Inexpensive, quick and easy to install, and comfortable.