I currently have a vintage les paul and love the amped sound, however its not much good for practicing at university. I was thinking of trading it in for an epiphone dot, since I believe that could be played accoustically to some extent, but would also sound similar to a les paul amped.

Hopefully that's enough information, let me know if not.
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
why not go to a shop and play one and see for yourself?

I personally don't like playing semi's without an amp. to my ear, they still sound like an electric that hasn't been plugged in, not at all like an acoustic.
if your issue is people complaining about the guitar, you're better off getting headphones. Semi hollows are not meant to be played acoustically. you can, but it won't sound much better than playing your lp unplugged.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
You'd be better off with an attenuator, smaller amp, or a headphone amp thing depending on your situation. The dot doesnt project much more than a well-made solid body. I got one thinking that and have been disappointed in that respect.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Sir if that's the main issue then get a Taylor T5 :P Best of both worlds period hehe.

Other than that, you can try a small amp, some sort of device like the Line6 Pocket POD which sounds awesome with headphones and you can put a BUNCH of effects in it and there's plenty other more ways. I use the iRig with my iphone now and even though it's not the best sound you can get through headphones i admit, it still works for practice sakes.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
some sort of device like the Line6 Pocket POD which sounds awesome with headphones and you can put a BUNCH of effects in it and there's plenty other more ways. I use the iRig with my iphone now and even though it's not the best sound you can get through headphones i admit, it still works for practice sakes.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I own both a Korg Pandora and a Tascam GT-R1, which are cousins to the POD. Those or similar devices also tend to have other valuable features, like tuners, metronomes, programmable drums, phrase trainers, recording apparatus (usually to some kind of chip/flash drive), or even direct connections to your computer.

Even though I have a nice Fender HRD and a football-field's worth of pedals, I still use mine more often than not, just because I can rock out as hard as I want without disturbing the neighbors...or scaring my doggies.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 18, 2012,
with the line 6 pocket pod can you put an input in from mp3/laptop etc just using standard headphone jack ?
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
it has a cd/mp3 in, regular headphones out, guitar in, amp out, all you need to practice on the go
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Or an amp with a headphone output?
Loads of decent ones like that about today!
Vox even make little portable headphone amps that plug directly in to the guitar, if you're on a really tight budget!
the dot isnt gonna sound like an acoustic...mine doesnt. The wood seems too solid.
I use the iRig with my iphone now and even though it's not the best sound you can get through headphones i admit, it still works for practice sakes.(Invalid img)
Quote by dlowe102
the dot isnt gonna sound like an acoustic...mine doesnt. The wood seems too solid.

what wood? you mean the neck?
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.