Page 1 of 6
I was thinking. I never hear about funerals that don't involve the church. It always pissed me off when I went to a funeral and the priest came and started talking about how good god is. It isn't about god. It's about the deceased person. God doesn't even exist, so it's a waste of time to have the funeral memorial be about him.
A few funerals I've been to haven't been at churches. There much nicer because, like you said there about the dead person. A few I've been to have been at churches, There horrible and over the top, And the minister is always like" I'm sorry for your loss, Now where's all the little kids".
...You've never heard of nonreligious funerals?

You either live under a rock, or in the bible belt.

Also if the thing that's making you unhappy at the funeral isn't the deceased person you knew well enough to be at the funeral of, it's the pastor of their faith trying to comfort their family, you have issues.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Darkness_Man
God doesn't even exist

You're begging to have your thread derailed.
Burden of proof lies with both parties - noone can definitively say whether (any) God exists or not. Making absolutes just proves ignorance and closed mindedness.

Regardless - Non-religious funerals are pretty common now, Funeral Homes tend to offer their own alternatives. I've even attended a hippy funeral, looking out onto a lake and throwing stones in to remember them by.
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Last edited by Mr.Pink101 at Feb 18, 2012,
Quote by Mr.Pink101
Burden of proof lies with both parties - noone can definitively say whether (any) God exists or not. Making absolutes just proves ignorance and closed mindedness.

I think it's just logical to think that the character of the most convoluted fallacious story books ever made (the bible) is actually believed to be a real entity. I'd really rather just have no one believe in god, because that's the best and most logical way of looking at life.
Quote by Darkness_Man
I was thinking. I never hear about funerals that don't involve the church. It always pissed me off when I went to a funeral and the priest came and started talking about how good god is. It isn't about god. It's about the deceased person. God doesn't even exist, so it's a waste of time to have the funeral memorial be about him.

I remember when I was 14

2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Mr.Pink101

Regardless - Non-religious funerals are pretty common now, Funeral Homes tend to offer their own alternatives. I've even attended a hippy funeral, looking out onto a lake and throwing stones in to remember them by.

Although I think this thread is stupid, that statement went over and above and I suspect trolling.

Either way, I believe in Lunos, a spirit who lives inside the moon but is undetectable by humans. He is eternal and created the universe and has power over everything inside it. His powers come from a Yankees cap he wears and he feasts on the poor souls of Mets fans after they pass.

Now my friend, the burden of proof is shared by us, and if you can't disprove it then I will continue my quest to have my teaching taught in science classes and whinge when when people don't want to be subservient to almighty Lunos.
Quote by necrosis1193
...You've never heard of nonreligious funerals?

You either live under a rock, or in the bible belt.

Also if the thing that's making you unhappy at the funeral isn't the deceased person you knew well enough to be at the funeral of, it's the pastor of their faith trying to comfort their family, you have issues.

Obviously I feel bad when someone I know dies. I can't do anything about that. But the whole religious standard of society really doesn't fly with me.
Quote by Darkness_Man
I think it's just logical to think that the character of the most convoluted fallacious story books ever made (the bible) is actually believed to be a real entity. I'd really rather just have no one believe in god, because that's the best and most logical way of looking at life.

Typical. You refuse to even listen to the other side of the argument, insisting based solely on your opinion that anyone who believes different is wrong. I reiterate my Ignorant/closed minded comment.

Now you will insist that you've read the bible, which is a blatant lie told by every self-posturing atheist who gets challenged.

Just riddle me this - Where did matter come from?

Has it always been there? because that's impossible.
Did something beyond our knowledge create it? Then you're agnostic.
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Quote by willT08
Now my friend, the burden of proof is shared by us, and if you can't disprove it then I will continue my quest to have my teaching taught in science classes and whinge when when people don't want to be subservient to almighty Lunos.

I'd be happy to support your right to religious expression. Russel's Teapot-esc though it may be
Quote by Mr.Pink101
Typical. You refuse to even listen to the other side of the argument, insisting based solely on your opinion that anyone who believes different is wrong. I reiterate my Ignorant/closed minded comment.

Now you will insist that you've read the bible, which is a blatant lie told by every self-posturing atheist who gets challenged.

You're totally blowing up this argument. You're lashing out like a 12 year old. Please at least gain some intelligence before you decide to blather on like that again.
TS is a dick.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
So wait, are you shocked that Christians want Christian funerals because they want to celebrate the life that God gave them and attain some assurance that the person will be put to rest with God's grace, because without God none of it would have been possible, because they are Christians and Christians want Christian funerals?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by willT08
Although I think this thread is stupid, that statement went over and above and I suspect trolling.

Either way, I believe in Lunos, a spirit who lives inside the moon but is undetectable by humans. He is eternal and created the universe and has power over everything inside it. His powers come from a Yankees cap he wears and he feasts on the poor souls of Mets fans after they pass.

Pfft. Lunos? Quit grabbing at the outer echelons of sport-influencing gods. At least pick one who makes their presence on earth noticeable, like Ray Lewis, or Wayne Gretzky, or Lin Tebow.

Quote by Darkness_Man
Obviously I feel bad when someone I know dies. I can't do anything about that. But the whole religious standard of society really doesn't fly with me.

Again, you live either in the bible belt or under a rock. It has to be a big rock too, because every time I hear this internet "intellectual" dogma that so many people spout on here about how everyone but them is super-religious, I laugh - I can think of two people in my entire life I've met who've been super-religious. And it's worth noting they were in the same family. This notion to me that we live in a subtle theocracy is ludicrous from where I'm standing.

Also it doesn't change that you are kind of a jerk for taking issue with something that isn't hurting anyone, but is comforting a grieving family.

Quote by bradulator
So wait, are you shocked that Christians want Christian funerals because they want to celebrate the life that God gave them and attain some assurance that the person will be put to rest with God's grace, because without God none of it would have been possible, because they are Christians and Christians want Christian funerals?

Christianity shouldn't exist. I'm not saying religion doesn't exist, i'm just saying god doesn't exist. I can't stop people from being stupid and believing a bunch of lies.
Quote by Mr.Pink101

LOLOLOLOL false dichotomy. Just because there's loads of things we don't understand doesn't mean you just go 'oh right that bit's God then'.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Darkness_Man
You're totally blowing up this argument. You're lashing out like a 12 year old. Please at least gain some intelligence before you decide to blather on like that again.

And so instead of making any attempt to challenge my argument and provide an alternative viewpoint, you make personal attacks - the lowest form of argument.
I also fail to see how I'm "Lashing out" or "Blowing up this argument", I thought it was a discussion on differing opinions?
I'll just ignore that intelligence comment for fear of sounding childish and petty.
Quote by Darkness_Man
Christianity shouldn't exist. I'm not saying religion doesn't exist, i'm just saying god doesn't exist. I can't stop people from being stupid and believing a bunch of lies.

You're right, you can't. So get over it.
My Grandfather had a non-religious funeral. It was actually worse then church-based ceremonies I've been to; not because of the lack of God, but because we only got 20 minutes to say our farewells before we had to get out of the way for the next dead guy in the queue.
Quote by necrosis1193
Pfft. Lunos? Quit grabbing at the outer echelons of sport-influencing gods. At least pick one who makes their presence on earth noticeable, like Ray Lewis, or Wayne Gretzky, or Lin Tebow.

Again, you live either in the bible belt or under a rock. It has to be a big rock too, because every time I hear this internet "intellectual" dogma that so many people spout on here about how everyone but them is super-religious, I laugh - I can think of two people in my entire life I've met who've been super-religious. And it's worth noting they were in the same family. This notion to me that we live in a subtle theocracy is ludicrous from where I'm standing.

Also it doesn't change that you are kind of a jerk for taking issue with something that isn't hurting anyone, but is comforting a grieving family.

You're right in a sense. I shouldn't be bringing up religion because that's kind of a political discussion and religious discussion. I'm just saying that if it weren't for religion we wouldn't have people condemning gays and using their religion as justification for controlling woman's bodies (a.k.a. contraception, birth control). I'm not saying i'm fu**ckin alber einstien but i'm not dumb (like Christians).
Quote by PeZ546
My Grandfather had a non-religious funeral. It was actually worse then church-based ceremonies I've been to; not because of the lack of God, but because we only got 20 minutes to say our farewells before we had to get out of the way for the next dead guy in the queue.

Cool. More than half of funerals are just religious rhetorical drivel anyway.
Quote by Cal UK
LOLOLOLOL false dichotomy. Just because there's loads of things we don't understand doesn't mean you just go 'oh right that bit's God then'.

I don't mean to say it's god. I'm agnostic at best, heavily scientific, but I'm open minded to the idea. I just know that there are things that are unexplainable, and science says that they're unexplainable. If matter was created by something, anything beyond our knowledge, from nothing then there has to be at least some merit to the idea of a creator.
You know what i like about the pit?
Whenever an argument starts up everyone starts using big smart words.
COAGULATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do I fit in now?????
Of course you can have non-religious funerals. Throw the corpse into a ditch, pour a little out for the homies, and let nature take its course.
Quote by necrosis1193

Hell I live in the Bible Belt and it's not even that bad, though it might be because I live in the city.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by MakinLattes
Of course you can have non-religious funerals. Throw the corpse into a ditch, pour a little out for the homies, and let nature take its course.

Listen to some autopsy too
Quote by blake1221
That's the kind of stupid reasoning Christians use.

Did you know that Christians are the reason for death in the first place?

No fucking way I think it's punishment for believing in the Bible!
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by blake1221

It's true, I watched a documentary on the discovery channel about this.
Quote by Darkness_Man
You're right in a sense. I shouldn't be bringing up religion because that's kind of a political discussion and religious discussion. I'm just saying that if it weren't for religion we wouldn't have people condemning gays and using their religion as justification for controlling woman's bodies (a.k.a. contraception, birth control). I'm not saying i'm fu**ckin alber einstien but i'm not dumb (like Christians).

Sorry but being just as closed minded like those Christians you're hating makes you exactly the same as they are. Believing in the opposite doesn't make you any better.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Put the body on a longboat, set it on fire and push it out onto a misty lake, whilst manowar play in the background. Thats how i wanna go, it'd be ****in epic
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by Darkness_Man
I'm just saying that if it weren't for religion we wouldn't have people condemning gays

Yeah, we would. This notion that everyone who isn't religious is okay with gay marriage and everyone who is condemns it as satanic is plain silly. And for the record, I have no problem with it. I have met plenty of religious people with no problem with it. I have also met plenty of nonreligious people who don't like it.

The world isn't some black-and-white "Everyone who believes in X thinks Y" fantasy land.

and using their religion as justification for controlling woman's bodies (a.k.a. contraception, birth control).

...Alright, now I'm confused, because you're saying religion is used to push these products, but every scrap of evidence suggests the opposite.

I'm not saying i'm fu**ckin alber einstien but i'm not dumb (like Christians).

...Actually, you are. Well no, the character is, but that's part of the fun of trolling, I suppose. Still, the idiotic blanket statements were a dead giveaway.

I'm just about done here, because I have to run. Cheers though, and for anyone who wasn't aware already: Barebones profile? Check. Registered yesterday? Check. Silly threads? Check. All signs point towards a troll.

Quote by blake1221
That's the kind of stupid reasoning Christians use.

Fuck man I know Christians are murderers, Jesus was probably a tool anyway who just wanted to fuck bitches. The world would be so much better without it.

http://www.thedarwinpapers.com/ChristianCharities.htm
To be honest, if i was an atheist and a loved one died, i would go to the funeral whether it was religious or not, and put my views on religion out of respect for the dead person.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
No fucking way I think it's punishment for believing in the Bible!

I think religious jurisdiction in the government is one problem. I think that if they did offer a way to have life extended with science then the church would bitch and say "that's not what god intended." That's the convoluted part. If they would just be like varg and go and frolic in the woods with their little spirits and not bother anyone than i'd be okay with religion.