Hi, I've had my American-made Strat for a year or so, and whenever I bend a note on the 2nd string higher up on the fretboard (say from fret twelve or up I'd say) the sound "chokes" and gives out, giving a nasty dry, almost harmonic-like sound.

What are some possible causes of this, and is it easily fixable?

If it helps at all, I'm using 9 gauge strings.
yeah, you're probably fretting out. this can be either by a poor set-up (particularly neck relief) or worn frets. given that your guitar is quite new, I doubt its the frets.

if you're comfortable working on your own guitar, check out the sticky at the top of the forum. it should help you figure out how to do a complete set-up, which should remedy the problem. otherwise, off to a tech you go
Quote by tmr7350
u gotta raise the saddle on the bridge.

This for sure. Just raise the saddle a little bit and you should be good to go.

I'm not disputing the relief issue, though, but that far up the neck it's probably the action that's too low.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
This for sure. Just raise the saddle a little bit and you should be good to go.

I'm not disputing the relief issue, though, but that far up the neck it's probably the action that's too low.

the fact that its that far up the neck pretty well guarantees that its a relief issue. simply raising the saddle will cause the low frets to have far too high an action.
Quote by krehzeekid
the fact that its that far up the neck pretty well guarantees that its a relief issue. simply raising the saddle will cause the low frets to have far too high an action.

Really? I am thinking the truss rod won't do all that much once you get that far up the neck?

edit: Not trying to be douchy or anything, just thinking it wont matter that much that high up?
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
Really? I am thinking the truss rod won't do all that much once you get that far up the neck?

edit: Not trying to be douchy or anything, just thinking it wont matter that much that high up?

I used to think the same, but if the relief is wrong, raising or lowering the saddles will fix an issue on one part of the neck, but much up the rest (lowering the saddles to fix high action on high frets only will cause lower frets to be too low). if your relief is right, its much easier to adjust for correct action