So, I'm looking for a guitar that is suitable for my style of music, which in this case would be metal.

Basically, i'm going to order it from thomann, and my budget is around 700€. Cant say its a strict budget (So 600-800), but i'd like to spend somewhere around that particular sum.

The type of music will mostly be metal, and the guitar should be able to keep drop C well. Might even go lower, and definitely will be playing in D and E.

I'm very fund of Les paul-type of guitar, but even some stratocaster type of body is alright. As for the other specs, pickups and such, cant really say. As long as it has a powerful and clear sound.

So, i'm located in Finland and most likely i'm going to order the guitar from thomann.

Current gear is pretty horrible, I have a Reno "Stratocaster", and after 6 years playing that piece of wood, I really need a new one (Now that I have the financial stuff working).

I've looked for a quite a bit of models, but some of which have peeked my interest are:
-ESP LTD EC-401 (Its price is good but, dont know really much about the quality)
-ESP LTD EC-1000 (Its too expensive but might go for it if its really good)
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded (Should be a good guitar, but not sure if it suitable for my music)
-Various others from Ibanez and Schecter.

So, any help and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!
what's your amp?

personally i prefer 25.5" scale length for metal, but those esp eclipses and LTD ECs are a little better for metal than your usual gibsons.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have an Ibanez RGA 32, which was about 550 or so, and it's in drop C right now. 25.5 scale, 24 frets, strat shape, all the goodies. I've had it for over a year and it still ****in dominates, you have a bit more to spend too, so I'd recommend Ibanez for sure.
i love my epiphone zakk wylde with EMG 81/85's never had a problem with it sounds awesome and plays like a dream i play in standard,D standard and drop C and it copes with them really well
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's your amp?

I have a Laney, that is meant to be a Bass amp. So basically, not good one, but i'll be getting a new one later.

Is there any guitar you could recommend?

Quote by Nico the Great
PRS SE Torero

That thing is way over my price limit.

Thrasher117:
I've tried to check out Ibanez models as well, but cant tell if the price/quality is good with them. Nor in LTD's or Gibsons. So any recommendations?

jackjb94:
I've checked out epiphones too, but it seems that the Gibson lp faded's are bit better.

Sparda93:
The thing I said above. If you put 50€ more you can get an Gibson, but really I dont know how good quality those epiphones and those gibsons are.
Quote by Nico the Great
PRS SE Torero. Try one out. You will fall in love.

You'll have to get a used one though.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
rob flynn from machine head has signature epiphone too. its baritone. would be great for your low tunings.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
So couple extra questions:
Is there some particular wood that is great in body and neck?

At this budget, what should i expect from the pickups?
I have an Ibanez Darkstone DN500 and I really like it. It's like a Gibson (heavy, fat neck, big sound, etc) and can handle lower tunings very well thanks to its special bridge. It doesn't cost much (500-600€ new) but there are many professional bands who use it (Epica, Sabaton, Deathstars, Asking Alexandria, etc). Check it out.
Epiphone les paul custom midnight with EMG pickups and a maple neck, I recently got this guitar and I've never been more impressed with a guitar, it's amazing and plays like a dream... perfect guitar for playing metal with, gets a nice chunky sound and also a good treble sound for solo and lead parts
look into ESP heavily, there's a reason a lot of bands are sponsored by them. You might want to go try out some, like the KH-202, its a really nice guitar with locking nut for when you drop it down, it will stay in tune better. It has a thin neck unlike les paul style bodies but you might just like it.

EDIT: also i wouldnt worry about the pups too much, the LH stock pups in my F-50 are pretty awesome and this guitar was about 350-400$. it's my baby.
Last edited by krisis99 at Feb 18, 2012,
Hell, just saying, you might be able to get a used ESP Eclipse, I have one and you can't get much better if you want to play metal.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Last edited by StrykVladzimsky at Feb 18, 2012,
Quote by Thouniiii
I have a Laney, that is meant to be a Bass amp. So basically, not good one, but i'll be getting a new one later.

Is there any guitar you could recommend?

at your budget i'd probably check out the japanese-made charvel pro mods (the superstrat shape ones, the san dimas, so cal and wild cards) or an ibanez rg1451 EDIT: oh also the jackson KE and KV5FR- also japanese-made. Same reasoning applies... haven't tried those exact models but i've tried the sl3 which is in the same series, made in the same place and with the same spec except in a superstrat shape and it was very nice. I think thomann has them on deal for around £700.

i haven't tried either, but i've tried the older USA charvel pro mods, and the japanese ones are allegedly very similar (maybe even better... and i've played enough MIJ guitars to know that that very well might be true), and i've played enough MIJ ibanez prestiges to know that's probably a really good guitar, too.

at your budget you can get the pro level stuff, but you have to be a bit less choosy. I'm not saying you get something you dislike (because obviously neck profile and things like that are very much personal preference), but if you have enough money for a porsche you need a very, very good reason to go for a ford instead, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 18, 2012,