Page 1 of 2
Okay...I've had a guitar for a whole day and never even played it due to shitty Ernie Ball strings. I hope to get them replaced by Dunlops. The B and D strings broke when tuning them up to pitch. Is it the strings or me?
98% chance it's you. If the strings are new, 99.9999999% chance it's you.

And the brand of your strings has FAR less to do with its qualities than the type of string (coated, silver, gauge, etc.) you have.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Last edited by staticoverdub at Feb 18, 2012,
you, or your guitar probably. where does it break? near the bridge or near the nut? or somewhere randomly in the middle?
-Ernie Ball Music Man JP6
-Ibanez UV777
-Fender Lonestar Deluxe
-Ibanez GRG 270b
-Yamaha F350
-Ibanez AE105TY

-Bugera 6262 head
-Bugera 212 cab
-Marshall Valvestate 8040

-Line 6 pod x3 live
-Line 6 guitarport
-Vox Ice 9 Overdrive
Quote by N1K156
Okay...I've had a guitar for a whole day and never even played it due to shitty Ernie Ball strings. I hope to get them replaced by Dunlops. The B and D strings broke when tuning them up to pitch. Is it the strings or me?
I have been using Ernie Ball strings for 5 years and never, ever broke one. It's your guitar: check the tuners, nut, bridge and saddles and see if there are sharpened angles.
I bought the strings yesterday...and it breaks at the bridge, which is a JT580LP floyd.
I'll get it set up today. The guitar is older than I am anyway
Quote by Kenjisan231
I've always used Ernie Ball strings and I've never had a problem, they are good quality. Of course there are other brands that are just as good. Is this your first time playing guitar? I don't mean that in a dick way, you just said 'you've had a guitar for a whole day', the phrasing just sounds like you are starting out.

I had an acoustic for two years, then instructor moved to Asia, then stopped for three years, picking it up again now, so I have some experience.
if they're breaking at the same spot on the bridge, you most likely have a sharp spot on the bridge. given that its a floyd, take it to a shop and have them help you out.
Quote by N1K156
I bought the strings yesterday...and it breaks at the bridge, which is a JT580LP floyd.

Sounds like a sharp saddle. If the strings were randomly breaking in the middle, then it'd probably be a string quality problem. But much more often string problems come from the guitar, not the strings.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by N1K156
The guitar is older than I am anyway
Then you can be sure that not every part of it is going to be in perfect condition. Floyd-style bridges may be stable when they're set up properly, but the second one tiny thing goes wrong with them they'll be pulling out of tune and snapping strings like nobody's business.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Happened again while playing...Tried a Dunlop, still...How much does it cost to get a Floyd repaired? Is it better to get rid of the guitar and GET MY ****ING MONEY BACK?
Hm, I think you're using bad brands of strings.
every key
every secret

I would usually say it's the user's fault, but every single pack of Ernie Ball strings that I have used have broken on me while I was tuning, or within an hour of playing. I've used other brands on the same guitar and have had no problem at all.
You said you hope to get new strings? They're not that expensive.

And you're thinking about returning the guitar because of this issue? That's like returning a car to the dealer because it's leaking oil. Just take it to a shop to get it fixed. Like others have said, there's a chance there's a burr on the saddle that needs to be sanded off. Or maybe you're bringing them up to tension too quickly.
I am a fake mountain.
My mom's friend is picking it up tomorrow. She knows a luthier who can fix it (her husband's father).
Also, it wasn't the strings, so I revoke the comment about EB strings.
When I got my schecter it was breaking strings every pack I got I thought I was just being to hard on it. But I ran some fine sandpaper through the bridge, just enough to get rid of any burrs or what have you. Haven't broken a string in the 1.5 years I've had it since. And I ****ing mistreat my guitar with the amount of heavy vibrato I do
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
+1000000000000000000
Myaccount876 knows what's up!
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

did you stretch them out before putting them on? we all tried to tell you to stay away from the floyd rose. for this exact reason. bummer you're having probs. but not really a suprise.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by N1K156
Hmm...maybe Ernie sucks on Floyds...

Definitely not the case.
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
Quote by kangaxxter
Sounds like a sharp saddle. If the strings were randomly breaking in the middle, then it'd probably be a string quality problem. But much more often string problems come from the guitar, not the strings.

that is exactly what it is. i had the same problem with my jt 580 lp (chrome one). i took one of those precision sanders (i think its called a dremel) and VERY delicately smoothed out the area where the problem was.
Quote by romeozdistress
did you stretch them out before putting them on? we all tried to tell you to stay away from the floyd rose. for this exact reason. bummer you're having probs. but not really a suprise.

At least I get to learn something...and I have better fret access

EDIT: How much slack should I give each string? Also, I couldn't find any hardtail with EMGs for $300...you must have taken the last one romeo.
Last edited by N1K156 at Feb 19, 2012,
Quote by Myaccount876
What you really need is a new amp.

I only had $100 to spend on an amp smartass. You can't really get a tube Marshall stack for that much
Quote by DamagingExcess
When I got my schecter it was breaking strings every pack I got I thought I was just being to hard on it. But I ran some fine sandpaper through the bridge, just enough to get rid of any burrs or what have you. Haven't broken a string in the 1.5 years I've had it since. And I ****ing mistreat my guitar with the amount of heavy vibrato I do

Do you pull up a lot?
I'd recommend trying different gauges, putting the ball end through the tuning pegs, or sanding the string contact points on the saddle. If all else fails, go Buy a Vox Night Train, Blackstar HT-50, Bogner Uberschall half-stack, or a Marshall Plexi full-stack.

Quote by N1K156
I only had $100 to spend on an amp smartass.

Woah woah woah, watch your f***ing language!
Last edited by Myaccount876 at Feb 19, 2012,
Quote by N1K156
I only had $100 to spend on an amp smartass. You can't really get a tube Marshall stack for that much

Problem?

You could buy 20 and daisy chain them together. That would be so sick.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 19, 2012,
watch a youtube video on string up a guitar. youll get the hang of it. there were tons of ltd viper-400s for 300 and under lol.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Myaccount876

Woah woah woah, watch your f***ing language!

Touche bro.
Quote by romeozdistress
watch a youtube video on string up a guitar. youll get the hang of it. there were tons of ltd viper-400s for 300 and under lol.

Well there was something that didnt catch on to me

EDIT: Oh yeah, MIJ Jackson>MIC, MII, MIK, etc...
Last edited by N1K156 at Feb 20, 2012,
Quote by N1K156
Touche bro.

Let's make this shit better bro.

...I really reccomend a Bogner Uberschall half-stack to fix this problem...
yeah but when its 10 years older nik, not so much. point is.. is you know so much why are you asking all this info? and then not take the advice you are given? im just confused.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
yeah but when its 10 years older nik, not so much. point is.. is you know so much why are you asking all this info? and then not take the advice you are given? im just confused.

Quote by N1K156

the teenager in you really shines.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Problem?

You could buy 20 and daisy chain them together. That would be so sick.

IMPOSSIBRU!
every key
every secret

Page 1 of 2