So I noticed today that when I press down on a fret using my fourth finger, my pinky always curls up backwards into until I let go of the note. Even though it doesn't seem to affect my playing, I'm sure its not helping in any way and is probably a bad habit. It is very difficult to concentrate on not letting my pinky do this so need some tips or techniques I could use to try and stop this.

I think this is partly because I rarely use my pinky unless I properly can't reach a note so again, if anyone has any tips as to how I can get into the habit of using my pinky more often then that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
The best advice I can give you without meeting you is... Practice your pinky. Sounds pretty obvious, but you have written about you rarely use your pinky, and that's a HUGE mistake already.

Do some finger excercises based on good old 1-2-3-4 shape, or play some riffs in which you have to use all your fingers. Good riff for developing your pinky is papa roach's last resort, so check it out!
not using your pinky for notes that you can reach with your ring finger isn't a problem, I rarely use mine either unless I have to and it doesn't effect my playing however to make sure that your pinky is strong enough to play the notes when you need to use it, you should try what I do with my students;

E 1-2-3-4
A-----------1-2-3-4
D---------------------1-2-3-4

and carry on, on all the strings then move up the the 5th fret and do this until your pinky lands on the 12th fret, it also helps to get alternate picking better
Do trill exercises such as this

E-7-8-7-8-7-8-7-8-7-8-7-8

7th fret you should use your ring finger (3) and 8th fret use your pinky (4).

Do this as CLEANLY as you can and you will be able to increase your speed over time. Do all possible finger combinations and spend 1 minute on each. I do this before I play guitar everyday.
I find my pinky finger really curves in towards my ring finger when I bend my fingers over the frets as kind of a natural feature. Is there any way to train or stretch it so it straightens out?

...Pinky exercises I guess?
Last edited by Shaunanaunanaun at Feb 20, 2012,
Quote by Shaunanaunanaun
I find my pinky finger really curves in towards my ring finger when I bend my fingers over the frets as kind of a natural feature. Is there any way to train or stretch it so it straightens out?

...Pinky exercises I guess?

Just keep your hand relaxed and make sure you use your pinky whenever you need it, if it's a problem and you keep up good practice principles it'll sort itself out soon enough.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.