I would like to enroll for a music program, and one o the requirements that they want you to audition "perform in position, one octave major scales starting on the 6th, 5th, 4th, and 3rd strings in all keys, ascending and descending, at a slow tempo, no open strings"
Sounds like they just want you to play the notes of the major scale in all keys on the mentioned strings.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

I think (not 100% sure) that means that they might say: Bb major, starting on the 4th string and you'd need to be able to play:

2                    8 10 11
3         7 8 10  
4  8 10 

The only thing I'm not sure about is what they mean by "in position." I assume that means one hand position (eg, not moving way up the string).
a position i determinded by where the first finger of the fretting hand is placed on the fretboard.

The first finger on the first fret is the first position. The first finger on the second fret is the second position...

they explain in the appendix for in position
Last edited by monsterthrottle at Feb 18, 2012,
Quote by HotspurJr
I think (not 100% sure) that means that they might say: Bb major, starting on the 4th string and you'd need to be able to play:

2 8 10 11
3 7 8 10
4 8 10

The only thing I'm not sure about is what they mean by "in position." I assume that means one hand position (eg, not moving way up the string).

most likely this ^

so just learn your major scales positions

no scale really requires 6 strings... or you're playing multiple octaves.

and you can probably move your scale shapes around the neck, yeah.
-Ernie Ball Music Man JP6
-Ibanez UV777
-Fender Lonestar Deluxe
-Ibanez GRG 270b
-Yamaha F350
-Ibanez AE105TY

-Bugera 6262 head
-Bugera 212 cab
-Marshall Valvestate 8040

-Line 6 pod x3 live
-Line 6 guitarport
-Vox Ice 9 Overdrive
Last edited by Ih5g at Feb 18, 2012,
Ahh that's so good they're doing that. One thing they will be teaching you is modes and you really have to have a solid foundation of the major scale to get through this.