Hey all;

Might be coming into some money. Store prices around here have the Rode NT2a at about $499 and the AT4050 at $699.

I'm optimistic that I'll be able to do either. Of course, it might be nice to have an extra couple hundred for some other goodies....

They're both multi-pattern LDC's with cardiod, omni, and figure-8 patterns. The Rode dials in and the AT is on a switch.

The AT4050 seems to be a jack-of-all trades sounds-good-on-anything-but-lacks-character mic, according to reviews I have heard. The NT2a people really seem to love (apparently has the same capsule as the NTK), but gets fewer recommendations overall than the 4050.

Apparently, the NT2a was good enough for Madonna on her Confessions album and nobody has ever b!tched about the production quality of any of her albums. For brand recognition, the AT brand - especially the 40xx series mics - have a reputation that seems to speak for themselves.

Anyone with any experience with these?

Thanks!
Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I have heard a lot of people say good things about the AT4050, but don't have any experience with it. I was at a university studio and was talking to a student engineer setting up for a recording project, and he was running 2 or 3 AT4050s (I can't remember exactly what on though). I actually think it may have been as overheads and bass amp I can't remember for sure. I wish I was paying more attention (was kind of preoccupied with something while he was talking). I do remember him saying he loved them.
If you can afford to spend $700 on a mic, I wouldn't buy either. A used AT4060 or possibly a Neumann TLM103 will blow away both of those.

The AT4060 is my favorite condenser right now and is the reason I sold every other vocal mic I own, so I could afford one. seriously a GREAT sounding mic.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If you can afford to spend $700 on a mic, I wouldn't buy either. A used AT4060 or possibly a Neumann TLM103 will blow away both of those.

The AT4060 is my favorite condenser right now and is the reason I sold every other vocal mic I own, so I could afford one. seriously a GREAT sounding mic.

Hmmm..... good point about used.

New prices, though, are TOTALLY out of my reach, by about double.

TLM103 w/ shockmount = $1399
AT4060 = $1350

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

One small correction:

The NT2a, like the AT4050, has switchable polar patterns.
The NT2000 has dials for selecting polar pattern, rolloff, and pad.

The NT2000 is $649. The AT4050 is $699. The NT2a is $499.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Hmmm..... good point about used.

New prices, though, are TOTALLY out of my reach, by about double.

TLM103 w/ shockmount = $1399
AT4060 = $1350

CT

Definitely, but you can get the TLM. For ~$600 used. I've been using that one for vocals lately. A lot of people don't seem to like it, as the high end is a bit brittle, and there's better like the 4060 At the same price, but its really nothing a little EQ fix. I actually quite like it. The 4060 is obviously warmer. Usually they're in the $800 range used, but I've seen them cheaper. The only mic I've used better than it costs twice as much.

Not saying the two you're looking at aren't decent. If I had to choose, I'd go with the 4050, cause I'm not a huge fan of Rode mics. But if you went used, you'd get a lot more for your money. Anyone who is going to be dropping that much cash on a mic is almost certainly using a pop filter, so its not like you have to worry about saliva and crap being all over it LOL
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
What's a pop filter?

CT

Hehe.... j/k (obviously...)

Yeah, maybe I'll look used. I saw on kijiji a TLM102 for $600.

CT

TLM102 is gone.

Saw an M-Audio Solaris for $300, which is apparently a great mic, but also found a Rode K2 - a variable pattern tube mic that gets outstanding reviews for $500. Hopefully it is still available. (couple questions about the swapped out Telefunken tube....)

CT

Going to see the K2 tonight. The guy is selling it because he upgraded... to a Sony c800g

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C800G

Holy hell.... I guess if that's what people upgrade to from there, I should be in good company. Lots of reviews comparing it to U87's, with the K2 coming up on top.

Kinda excited about this!

CT

Holy hell, I think the K2 just jumped to the top of my list for next vocal mic to replace my NT1-A. If it truly is better sounding than the U87 (hell, or even as good), and has a price tag of around $400-$500 used, yeah...no brainer
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
New, it started out over a grand... somewhere around $1200. Currently selling new in Canada for $700. The $500 is for used.

CT