Hey everyone, I'm building a 1x12 cab and am trying to figure out what speaker to put in it. I love the sound of Celestion Greenbacks, but $125 seems a bit steep to me for it. I've looked around and found that Eminence speakers are a little cheaper and seem to be of good quality. I've also heard that the closest speaker Eminence makes to the Greenback is the Private Jack. Does anyone have any experience with this speaker that can tell me if that is true? I obviously know that they won't be exactly the same, but I'd like to get as close as I can to a Greenback.
Gear:
Guitars:
Cochran Custom Shop Blue
Cochran Goldtop
Washburn Jazz Hollowbody
Cochran Flying V
Amps:
Marshall Class 5
Laney VC15
FX:
MXR Classic Overdrive
Crybaby 535Q Wah
The Private Jack is one of the Eminence speakers often compared to the Celestion Greenback. You can also look at the WGS Green Beret. Eminence is a great company and they are made in the US. WGS I believe was started by some people who left Eminence. They are also made in the US. Most of the standard production line Celestions are made in China now. They have full control over the plant from what I hear and quality is suppose to be just as good as when they were made in the UK. Still, I can't justify the price knowing they are made in China. I'll take Eminence or WGS any day over modern Celestions.
Thanks. Yeah, I posted this question on a couple forums and everyone is coming back with the WGS Green Beret. I'm really liking the sound clips and videos I'm finding of them, so that's probably what I'll go with. Plus they're $69! Can't beat that, lol.
Gear:
Guitars:
Cochran Custom Shop Blue
Cochran Goldtop
Washburn Jazz Hollowbody
Cochran Flying V
Amps:
Marshall Class 5
Laney VC15
FX:
MXR Classic Overdrive
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Yep, I've got a Veteran 30 waiting to go in a cab I'm finishing up for a Blackstar HT-5. It's suppose to be a slightly scooped version of a Vintage 30.
Eminence make 2 Greenback clones the Privat jack and the Legend GB128 both are very good. WGS make great speakers also.

I agree with Poppameth I cant justify spending more for something made in China.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 19, 2012,
Weber makes a great vintage greenback clone if you ask for the "stan spec" speaker. Better than any of the normal line Celestions/Eminence/WGS imo.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 19, 2012,