I figured here would be the best place to ask this?

Basically, I've been asked to teach a family friend and his 6 year old son to play the guitar?

Where should I start?

I'm thinking basic guitar anatomy, simple streching exercise, and maybe a few open chords?

But... WHICH chords?

And then where o go from there (barre chords Maybe)

Also, how can I keep a 6 y/o interested???
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
I started playing saxophone when I was 8 and had 20 minute lessons every thursday.

I had a series of books called Standards of Excellence, which I think is aimed at children. We would just work our way through the book (by we I mean me and the teacher), and once one book was finished, I'd go onto the next book.

It had notes, scales, site reading exercises and songs in it.

You could find a similar book, or put your own pack together.
I tend to do this as a first lesson for youngsters, so here's my suggestions after you've been acquainted and found out why he's playing and what he enjoys listening to.

Quick run through guitar anatomy - as long as he knows how to get his fingers around the fretboard and is sat with decent posture then I thin that'd do for now.

Tune his guitar to an open d chord and tell him frets 2 3 5 and 7 are good. Great way to get a beginner actually playing music straight away. After a little bit of fun, retune to standard.

Then learn string names EADGBe - Elephants And Donkeys Grow Big ears

Smoke on the Water Riff on 1 string + introduce to tablature... --0---3---5-- etc etc dead easy

Then as for chords throw in 1 finger G and C, then give the challenge of D.

||:G / / / | D / / / | C / / / | C / / / :|| - Knocking On Heaven's Door, Boom!

The most important thing is keeping the attention of the student, keeping them excited and passionate about music. I try to keep explanations as quick and simple as possible, and just be enthusiastic and encouraging.
I'm not an expert guitar player, but as a musician I think you should put a LOT of attenction in not teaching him anything wrong, because if you do, it'll be very difficult for the child to relearn something in a diffrent way maybe 5 or 10 years later.
If you feel like not knowing something fine enought to teach it, you'd better tell him to ask someone more expert.

Of course I don't know how good you are at teaching/playing guitar, and good luck for teaching the child.
As others said, try to allow him to play songs early, avoid doing too many excercises because probably he'll got bored of that quite soon.

Maybe you can try to teach him major and pentatonic scales and introduce him to improvising, young people should learn it faster than adults and if I were 6 years old I think I would enjoy it more than studying songs.
Forget chords, they're to complicated for a beginner to even understand, especially a 6 year old.

Simple single note stuff, like the James Bond Theme (everyone loves James Bondesh)

2-2-2--0-0-0--3-3-3--0-0-0-0-

String names/tuning letters (eddy ate dynamite, good bye eddie or something to remember it by).

Keep him interested by shredding and tapping and doing pinch harmonics (like my guitar teacher did because I was a terrible student that listened to Slipknot and AX7 at the time).

Teach him the basic powerchord shape, but don't **** his mind with the a minor what ever, I still barely grasp the concept of full chords and I been playing for 3 years.
METAL!
I don't really want to confuse the little bugger with different tunings and whatnot.

It's weird, I've just hit a mental blank about what to do. Havnt taught anyone anything from scratch in abouts 2 years.

All I know is, he wants to learn the guitar because 'it's cool'. Which is reason enough for me, especially from a 6 year old kid.

I'm thinking il do the first little lesson as more of a chat, find out what he wants to do, what he likes etc etc. And get him suing something dead simple, such as the bond them tune mentioned above. Teach him a simple chord so he can practice strumming and just generally arsing around and having fun
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

I think so...
A basic little riff on one string, an the Em chord...
When he's done that riff a bit, smoke on the water on one string!
And A chord or something, then get him to go between the two chords...
after he's done that- smoke on the water riff! wooo!
Quote by MickAlmighty
All I know is, he wants to learn the guitar because 'it's cool'. Which is reason enough for me, especially from a 6 year old kid.

I'm thinking il do the first little lesson as more of a chat, find out what he wants to do, what he likes etc etc. And get him suing something dead simple, such as the bond them tune mentioned above. Teach him a simple chord so he can practice strumming and just generally arsing around and having fun

This. In my teaching experience, children above the age of 9 or 10 generally are more open and receptive to my standard method of teaching a beginners first lessons, which involve learning some open chords and a couple very popular progressions, and the A mp blues scale. I have to agree with whoever above said that kids like improv more - I get all my young students improving from the very first lesson (just give them 2 or 3 notes to remember that will sound good at first, then play the chord and let them rock out. then teach them the simple MP blues scale and let them improv with that for a while before moving on to the major scale) and every single one of them takes off running with it and can't get enough.

That being said, all of my students who were younger then 8 have required a different approach. It's tough to keep them focused, and its harder for them to grasp most of the major concepts of chords, scales.. at this age, I have found the best approach to be beginning with guitar anatomy, then focusing predominantly on practicing the fundamentals of all the physical aspects of playing guitar.. strumming, single note picking, fretting, etc.

The way I do this is different with every student, but you can do stuff like tune them to drop D and strum chords/progressions so they can just bar the fret on the EAD strings and it will sound good with no tricky fingers requied.. teaching little songs like the bond theme is good, jingle bells etc whatever holiday is near.. find out what music they know, and figure out how to play some simple melodies on 1 string from songs they know to teach them. Make up little games with the guitar where they copy your sound in different octaves and different parts of the fretboard.. give them candy when they get it on the first try. Stuff like that.

Just start slow and don't expect much, you'll just have to play it by ear and give them new things to work on when they are ready.. they may or may not practice in your absence, IME they are less likely to practice then older students - so you have to keep this in mind and plan/execute your lessons accordingly. Basically I end up using lesson time as practice time with the real young kids, as opposed to using lesson time for teaching new material and expecting them to practice what I taught during the course of the week.

Good luck buddy! Check out the link in my signature for my youtube channel, there's a playlist for absolute beginners where i started a lesson series for just this. The first lesson is up and it covers a little bit of guitar anatomy, so you might want to check it out and/or keep an eye on the playlist for some ideas.

-CM
^ this is what I've been thinking.

I'm more accustomed to teaching older people (parents of friends and whatnot) or more around the 10-16 kind of age. Where there's that bit more focus and willing to learn.

Luckily this kid wants to learn, so I'm HOPING (for my mental state) that he means it.
I'm a very patient person, especially with kids. So I think wel be just fine
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...