So i have a guitar with emg 81/85 pickups. The guitar is plugged in most of the time. How often shuld i change battery on the guitar? If the battery is getting weak, what signs do i get? How can i notice the battery is getting weak?
I think batteries in EMG's last around 3000 hours, and you might get a cleans a bit distorted. The volume and distortion could also diminish.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

When you say the guitar is 'plugged in most of the time' what do you mean? how many hours do you actively use the guitar everyday?

I have a set of 707's and play at least 2 hours a day up to maybe 6 or 8 and i change my 9volt about every 6 months give or take

If your battery is getting weak you will notice a big lack in gain/ signal strength, excessive hum and or your guitar cutting out sometimes is also a pretty good sign your in need of a new battery.
first your clean will be distorted, then it will get to the point when everything has a bit of distortion but you can't get good rock/metal tones at all, it will sound fuzzy. So then turn over your guitar, flip up the little plastic thing and replace it with a 9 volt battery. I suggest you put on the album Master of Puppets, the first song has step by step instructions on how to do it
i think what he means by plugged in most of the time is that he leaves it plugged in even when he's not using it
Quote by JD Close
i think what he means by plugged in most of the time is that he leaves it plugged in even when he's not using it

I just realised after posting it that it wouldnt matter if he had it plugged in with his amp on, the only time the battery is in use is when there is an active signal running through the pups haha
Each pickup will draw about 3000 hours out of one 9v battery. So having two pickups gives you about 1500 hours, max. Bear in mind that that is how many hours you can get out of it before the battery dies completely; by the time the battery drops to about 40% power it'll start effecting the tone of the pickups and by the time it's down to about 20% power your guitar is going to sound really crappy. On top of that, not every battery is going to have maximum juice in it. So really, you're going get about 1000 good hours out of one 9v battery running two active pickups and you should get maybe another hundred or so hours of good tone after that, but consider anything more than 1000 hours a bonus.

The easy way to conserve battery power is to just unplug the guitar whenever you're not playing. Or, install a switch that will shut off the connection to the battery. That way you can leave the guitar plugged in and so long as you remember to use the battery switch, you'll save some power. That usually means drilling another hole in your guitar though and it's a bit of a pointless mod to do when you could just unplug the guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by JD Close
first your clean will be distorted, then it will get to the point when everything has a bit of distortion but you can't get good rock/metal tones at all, it will sound fuzzy. So then turn over your guitar, flip up the little plastic thing and replace it with a 9 volt battery. I suggest you put on the album Master of Puppets, the first song has step by step instructions on how to do it

Oh my.

Mod it for 2 9v batteries. Give it 20minutes proper playing ypu wont turn back. Clarity is amazing
Unplug the guitar when you're not using it, by having the cable in it drains the batterys, so you're losing life by doing that.

It totally depends on how often you use the guitar, my guitars with EMGs dont get intense use so I can get by on changing them ever year or two
NOPE