Hey

I want to buy a les paul with Seymour Duncan SH-1n and SH4 pickups but I play metal/metalcore and heavy music in drop C/B. Are these pickups any good for metal? Or should I just aim for EMG's? Now I play stock ibanez pups and they sound pretty tbh, but I'm worried if these Seymours output will be enough for heavy music.
What guitar you play? Btw. SH-4 or either TB-4 is pretty nice for metal and everything. But if you play an ibanez with stock ceramic pickups, you can like SH-6 distortion better. It has even higher output but not that good on soft tones. Sh-1 is not my preference. SH-2 seems to be better for me, but both are not good for metal. They are better for soft tones or clean tones. I'f prefer a set of evolution humbuckers, or evo2 in bridge evo on neck. EMG's are not that good for baswood. Btw seymour duncan TB-6 is pretty good for also low tunings. But dimarzio crunch lab and liquefire is also a good combo i think. BTW go for SH-6 SH-2 if you have chance. Also I think you currently use ceramics. After Ibanez that guitar may can not satisfy you, but yes, SH-4 JB bridge is really nice for metal as a Medium-High output alnico 5 pickup.
Last edited by cemges at Feb 18, 2012,
not great

jb has a pretty decent output but it has more of a rock voicing than metal. and its bass isn't that tight.

it's more a pickup that'll do metal at a pinch if you need versatility for other stuff, too. I wouldn't get it if you knew metal was your #1 priority.

for metalcore type stuff EMGs are actually pretty good. You don't *have* to use EMGs to play that stuff, but a lot of the metalcore bands use EMGs, and they do sorta do that tone (with a suitable amp) out of the box without a whole heap of tweaking and fuss etc.

what other type of metal do you play, though?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bah no EMG can give the sound of passive ceramic pickups. Dimebucker is good if you'd mind a pickup change on your ibanez. High output passives sound better then actives for me.
Stuff like Trivium, August Burns Red, Parkway Drive, All That Remains, Soilwork etc

And I play an old MIJ Ibanez, I don't even know its name but its an 80's guitar
i reckon emgs would probably work fairly well for that type of stuff

though i'm not exactly completely au fait with all those bands, so bear that in mind
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I really like the jb pickup for metal. I think it's pretty ballsy. The guitarists for lamb of god use jb and 59 pickups at one point.

Probably not what you're going for, but if it works for them, it can do metal.
Another thing you might want to consider is whether or not your guitar is currently set up with active or passive pickups. If you have passives and want to switch to actives, you'll probably have to do some internal modifications for a battery space and whatnot.
EMG's, or DiMarzio D Activators.

The only thing the JB really excels at is like 80's type metal.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
EMG's or Blackouts would be my suggestion. They have a bigger and more crushing sound, as well as being pretty tight. They offer a lot more gain than most passives.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
I feel like every time someone brings up the JB a bunch of people post about how it won't excel for metal when they have never even used one or used one in the wrong environment. Let it be known right now that the JB (and the ceramic magnet version - the SH-6 Distortion) will work incredibly well for metal. I have one in my Les Paul and it's a great pickup on par with the DiMarzio Breed.

Don't believe me? Ask Gojira - http://youtu.be/uBW5iDvkMHU (either a JB or 59, either way you get the point)
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

^ go **** yourself

i have two guitars with JBs in them (and fwiw i also have a guitar with a duncan distortion)

i wouldn't pick them for metal

the jb's a jack of all trades, master of none pickup imo
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I agree with Dave, I have a JB in my G-400 and it is a great allround pickup, but you cn do better if you want a specific metal tone. I play blues to metal, so it was a diecent choice for me.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ go **** yourself

i have two guitars with JBs in them (and fwiw i also have a guitar with a duncan distortion)

i wouldn't pick them for metal

the jb's a jack of all trades, master of none pickup imo

Dave; I respect you, your opinion and your experience fully. That being said, from my experience with the JB and Distortion, if you can't excel at metal with them then it's operator error. And yes the Breed is also a fine pickup for metal. You could go with Blackouts (which for reference I have two sets of; the 1's in a 7-string set and the 3's in a 6-string set) which are much hotter but they don't sound as toneful as the JB/Distortion. The fact is, these pickups will more than get you a great metal tone; some will be too hot but none listed will be too weak. For additional reference, when I say "metal" I'm referring to the tone on anything from King Diamond to Decapitated. If you need a heavier tone than Decapitated then you're on your own.

JB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks2wSCgFHYE

Distortion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zresYL9TQJA
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727

(sorry for telling you to go **** yourself just i don't like when people claim that people who disagree with them have no experience)

I wasn't talking about the distortion, I was talking about the JB. the distortion still wouldn't be my absolute first pick for metal, but it's better at it than the JB.

I stand by what I said- I wouldn't want the JB for metal. That's not saying I can't get a passable metal tone from one or anything like that, but personally I don't like it for metal, and if you ask me there are way better options. It's different if you already have one and are trying to make the best of it- but if you're starting from scratch and have your choice of any pickup on the market, it doesn't make much sense to me to get a pickup which will do at a pinch, but which wouldn't be my first choice.

it's nothing to do with the heat- it's the voicing. it's too loose in the bass for my liking. It has a rock voicing.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(sorry for telling you to go **** yourself just i don't like when people claim that people who disagree with them have no experience)

I wasn't talking about the distortion, I was talking about the JB. the distortion still wouldn't be my absolute first pick for metal, but it's better at it than the JB.

I stand by what I said- I wouldn't want the JB for metal. That's not saying I can't get a passable metal tone from one or anything like that, but personally I don't like it for metal, and if you ask me there are way better options. It's different if you already have one and are trying to make the best of it- but if you're starting from scratch and have your choice of any pickup on the market, it doesn't make much sense to me to get a pickup which will do at a pinch, but which wouldn't be my first choice.

it's nothing to do with the heat- it's the voicing. it's too loose in the bass for my liking. It has a rock voicing.

no you.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

No hard feelings. I feel you on that, tone is after all 99% subjective. In my eyes a lot of the appeal is the thick low-mid; it gives it a feel akin to "Dr. Feelgood," but I could see how you would dislike it. What I was mainly getting at was the output being there, as the tone from there is very subjective. I apologize for any false assumptions; I'm just kind of tired (as everyone is) of people being unable to get perfectly excellent gear to function correctly then going on here and saying it's shit. I'm sure you understand that.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727

i've got an ibanez rg with a jb [sh-4] in the bridge. i keep it in drop a and play djenty kind of things on it and i actually dig the tone. i haven't played much metalcore on it but i think the low end may be too loose to do fast riffing in low tunings. my schecters got a sh-6 in the bridge and i keep it in drop b and use it for my faster paced songs and i think it sounds awesome. as far as the sh-1 goes its one of my favorite neck pickups. my schecter has it and my ibanez will have one soon. its a super clean pickup thats great for smooth soloing tone. it makes a good contrast for higher output bridge pickups.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by PerpetualBurn
No hard feelings. I feel you on that, tone is after all 99% subjective. In my eyes a lot of the appeal is the thick low-mid; it gives it a feel akin to "Dr. Feelgood," but I could see how you would dislike it. What I was mainly getting at was the output being there, as the tone from there is very subjective. I apologize for any false assumptions; I'm just kind of tired (as everyone is) of people being unable to get perfectly excellent gear to function correctly then going on here and saying it's shit. I'm sure you understand that.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?