Ok, so I recently acquired a Traynor YCV20 it is only rated at 15 watts, yet it has a speaker that can handle 50 watts. Will this create a tone problem? I mean, will it sound less full because only 15 watts of power is going through it? Or is this just so it can be used as an extension cabinet? If you want to know it is a Celestion Rocket 50 (cheap speaker I know.) Any help would be great! I apologize if this is the wrong forum.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
No, you'll be fine. When I run my 18W'ers through my 1960 (300W) they sound fantastic.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
No, you'll be fine. When I run my 18W'ers through my 1960 (300W) they sound fantastic.

Thanks Cathbard, say you seem to know a thing or two about amps. What would you recommend for a replacement speaker? I mainly play Classic rock and a bit of early metal.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
What country are you in?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What country are you in?

The USA. I should probably tell you my price range: $150, preferably lower.
Quote by JD Close
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Thanks Cathbard, say you seem to know a thing or two about amps. What would you recommend for a replacement speaker? I mainly play Classic rock and a bit of early metal.

The speaker in the YCV20 is already fantastic (Celestion G12M). I would only switch it out if you really have a problem with it, after it's broken in of course.

As for your watts questions, the watts on the speaker are how many watts the speaker is designed to handle. Playing with less watts then what's written on it is fine, however playing with more can blow the speaker.

No need to change speakers.
Quote by Strats&Cats
The speaker in the YCV20 is already fantastic (Celestion G12M). I would only switch it out if you really have a problem with it, after it's broken in of course.

As for your watts questions, the watts on the speaker are how many watts the speaker is designed to handle. Playing with less watts then what's written on it is fine, however playing with more can blow the speaker.

No need to change speakers.

Only the new Custom 20wr's have those, I have a Rocket 50 in it right now, and I'm not too crazy about those.
Quote by JD Close
You probably don't need to change anything but If I was to replace it I'd go with one of these:
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/m_series.html

Grab the 25W'er if you want a little speaker breakup otherwise go with the 65W'er. Both cost the same amount - $170. Close to your target price.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Only the new Custom 20wr's have those, I have a Rocket 50 in it right now, and I'm not too crazy about those.

OHHHHHH ok.... sorry about that. You have the old discontinued black ones.

Well, just some suggestions then:

If you want a good "all around" sound, I like the Vintage 30 in these amps quite a bit (I know, I know, they get suggested in nearly every "what speaker" thread).

If you want a more "classic rock-ish" sound (which the YVC20 does best if you ask me) the G12M is a great choice as well.
Thanks, I'll look into those!
Quote by JD Close
If your budget doesn't extend to Scumbacks, then I'd take a look at Warehouse Guitar Speakers. I'd imagine their Greenback clone would work very nicely in the Traynor (assuming it's how I imagine - Marshally).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
If your budget doesn't extend to Scumbacks, then I'd take a look at Warehouse Guitar Speakers. I'd imagine their Greenback clone would work very nicely in the Traynor (assuming it's how I imagine - Marshally).

The Green Beret? It's only $70s...is it a cheap speaker or just a good deal?
Quote by JD Close
Oh, I missed that you had a rocket in there too. Yeah, Scumbacks ftw. Those WGS Greenback clones would certainly be an upgrade from a Rocket too. You want a greenback style for your styles too, ignore any metalheads telling you to get V30's, they wouldn't know rock from a sock.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
How do these WGS Clones hold up to the celestion G12ms?
Quote by JD Close
Quote by Cathbard
Oh, I missed that you had a rocket in there too. Yeah, Scumbacks ftw. Those WGS Greenback clones would certainly be an upgrade from a Rocket too. You want a greenback style for your styles too, ignore any metalheads telling you to get V30's, they wouldn't know rock from a sock.

but yeah, i wouldn't worry about the wattage, i'd be more worried it's a mediocre speaker.

haven't tried wgs or weber, they're probably worth a try, though. from what i can remember, the 20 was sorta voxy, so yeah, something greenbacky i'm guessing would be the thing (assuming you don't want to fork out for alnico).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
WGS makes some nice speakers. Most people who have tried them agree they are as good or better than the Celestions the clone. WGS is basicly workers from Eminence who started their own speaker company.

Eminence has 2 diff Greenback clones, the Private Jack and the legend GB128 both are very nice speakers. and look you can buy almost 2 speakers made in the USA for the price of 1 celestion thats made in China.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Weber make some pretty good speakers for decent prices too. Something like a Blue Dog would be good, they come both in ceramic and alnico. The Alnicos are pretty expensive ($205) but the ceramic versions are only $110.
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100