I've been playing guitar for about two years now, recording scratch demos and whatnot, and just messing around and playing relentlessly. I have one bass under my roof right now and it's a 20 year old Yamaha something that's right handed... I am left handed.

So I'm not exactly new to playing guitar, but I don't exactly know how to play bass correctly. At this point, I get confused when I pick up a left handed bass at a shop and the strings are in the correct order. But what I really need to know is, as a guitar player that just wants to learn some bass techniques and needs a bass to record solid demos with in the future, what would you recommend. I've been leaning towards a Squire since those are pretty cheap, yet really good. And since I'm not a "bass player" exactly, it's probably what I need. Opinions?
Squier VM and a DI box is a good bet for recording.

What sound you want will alter the specifics.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Yamaha's are nice basses. I won't say it's a good idea, but several musicians including scott reeder of Kyuss used a bass left handed with the strings righty style.

I'd go with SX so you can find a cheap affordable lefty in a number of colors and styles.
You want cheap and good? You want a Peavey.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by askrere
Yamaha's are nice basses. I won't say it's a good idea, but several musicians including scott reeder of Kyuss used a bass left handed with the strings righty style.

I just saw the best bass player of my life two nights ago, and he played this way. It's all how you learn.

If you do want to play with it strung "correctly", just Hendrix it and switch the strings.
Quote by Trowzaa
I can't look at anything starting with BB and not thinking big busty.
Big Busty Queefing.
The two problems are that it's not my bass (my pa plays guitar and bass right handed), and I play guitar left handed with the strings the correct way. And even though they're different instruments, they are similar, and I'd rather just play both of them the same way.
then look at rondo.com. We can name a million cheap basses, but you need to pick one.