My attempt at a fun thread. Show off a mini rig you own or owned or played through and was giggable or a huge animal you had to haul around.

Rules: Pics if possible, try and provide a nice review on pieces of gear used so people can get a better idea of the gear used.

Mines not available to share yet, but just made the money to get myself a Carvin 2x10 to make my rig.
I don't have any pictures available right now but I use a sunn PA head and two Peavey foldbacks with 2x12 and 2 horns each

Edit:

Pictures are a few posts down
Last edited by CJ Noble at Feb 20, 2012,
Once my camera's charged up I'll try and get some better pics then what I have on my computer and post in here tomorrow.

EDIT: Don't have pics of it, but I can talk about what I used to run too, I think it qualifies as a "big rig."
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
By all means do, I figured this would satisfy a lot of people. It'd show new people a lot of brands and setups, give guys shopping for new gear mini reviews and some pics, and just bring the community together.
OK, I guess I'll start the pictures

Mini-rig - Little Mark II and AccuGroove Tri12L

Sounds great, and is loud enough for everything I've needed it for so far.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
I was trying to define "amp stack" a while back:

As for a mini rig...
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Hows the ashdown hold against drums and the like? Also what was the alesis looking rack unit in your amp stack.
My old rig was an old Laney DP-150 head (a fairly heavy lump of a thing, but kicked it out). I ran it with a fairly heavy old homemade PA-style ported cabinet loaded with a 1x15 eminence driver, and an Ampeg SVT-15E cab. There's a photo I just posted in the action shot thread that shows the whole thing (somewhat obscured), but here's an okay photograph of the top half:

Just missing the 2nd cab in this photo. All in all it was a bit of a monstrous lot to carry around. I've definitely known people have much worse to deal with, but I can't say it was ideal.

I'm now sporting a Barefaced Compact cabinet (lightweight English made cabs, this thing really kicks it out and has some serious tone, but weights a measly 27lbs) and a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 head. Don't have any photos at the moment, but I'll get some when I can be bothered. All in all, this thing goes a lot louder, has a lot more definition, and sounds a lot better than my older rig... and collectively weighs about the same as my old head alone.
Currently, my setup is my bass going to my Digitech Bass Distortion/Overdrive. It then splits from there, one cable going to my 38w practice amp, which is set very trebly, and the other to my Digitech Delay, which then goes to my 100w Acoustic B100, which is where the majority of my sound comes from. I'm going to try an overdrive after the distortion going to the 38w today. I'll get pics once I can, but currently, my rig's at our practice space (we practiced a couple days ago, and are again today, and it just wasn't worth packing everything up and bringing it back, especially considering the amp is 60 lbs).

I just got the 100w amp a few days ago, and I'm loving the new setup. My only problem is that the Distortion/Overdrive pedal tends to make me lose a bit of the low end, which is why I'm going to try an overdrive just through the 38w.
Last edited by herby190 at Feb 19, 2012,
Alright, the best pictures I have of my current set up. More Markbass goodness:

My mini rig consists of a Markbass Little Mark II and a Carvin BR210-8. Plenty loud for what I'm using it for, nice and transparent, and most importantly, it's light and easy to move around. Put it with my bare-bones array of pedals there and its the perfect college apartment rig.

In contrast, I used to gig with an Ampeg SVT VR on top of an 8x10, talk about a back breaker. Wonderful amp, but I don't think I would ever go back to tubes and huge cabs.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass

I'd call it a medium rig. I sometimes use a 500W peavey head that I've got (not pictured and on the other side of the house) depending on the size of the show I'm playing
Last edited by CJ Noble at Feb 20, 2012,
Finally got a photo, here's my rig now...

When I can get the funds together I'll be buying a Barefaced Midget T (1x12 with tweeter) to finish it off. This photo excludes pedals and stuff too.

The head and amp together weigh a measly 30lbs.

Ooh. nice combinations! (basses, colour schemes, BF cab and Genz Benz, everything!)
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
I think I can put my markbass mini CMD121 here

It's a great amp. I've had it for a bit more than 2 years now and it has never let me down. One time, I played quite a large venue with it, when the drums were amplified. I played without any PA support and they asked me to turn it down, so I guess it's loud enough for everything I will encounter.

The sound is the best I've ever heard. Every bass I played through this amp sounds wonderfull.

I've taken it on trains and busses without any problem. The only problem is that when carrying it with 1 hand when I have to walk a longer distance, I sometimes hit it with my knee. But most of the time I just carry it with 2 hands when I have to walk al longer distance, so that's not that big of a deal.

When I'm playing at home it fits easily under my desk like this, so it doesn't take up a lot of space:
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Don't have a photo at the moment but I have been gigging with only Line6 X3 Pro for years now. Sometimes I use FBV Express mini pedal but not always even that. I've always wondered why use big pedal boards and full stacks. Don't tell me it's the sound, no one in the audience can tell any difference during live shows.

I hope I don't get bashed too badly for this comment
Quote by Ziphoblat
Finally got a photo, here's my rig now...

When I can get the funds together I'll be buying a Barefaced Midget T (1x12 with tweeter) to finish it off. This photo excludes pedals and stuff too.

The head and amp together weigh a measly 30lbs.

The Rig I Want
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
What do you think of the Compact? Can you describe the sound or maybe post soundclips? I'm considering one or maybe the Super 12.

I wouldn't say it has a sound of its own, it won't homogenize your signal to always sound the same, it depends on your bass/amp/fingers. It's very neutral, organic sounding... that makes it sound sterile or boring I suppose, but it really isn't if your technique isn't... it really is the closest thing to playing through headphones I've ever heard in terms of a bass amp. The sound is lovely and rounded. I've A/B'd the compact to going straight into headphones through my audio interface with a low-pass filter on at ~2kHz... I put a low-pass filter on because the frequency response of the compact begins to roll off at 2kHz and is essentially gone by the 3kHz range, which is of course to be expected given that it's just a single large driver. I guess it depends how much you value your very top end.

I'd say that about 90% (or more) of the sound of a bass lies within the range of the compact, all the punch, bottom end, definition is there (in volumes), it simply misses that very very top end zing that you're arguably unlikely to notice in a band setting anyway. You're only going to get that with a tweeter, and I bought my compact with the intention of buying a Midget T to go with it (after summer, bloody holidays and rent...) so that I have the full response of my instrument, just because I like that little bit of fizz when I blend some overdrive into my signal. So yeah, back to the point, A/Bing it with headphones, it sounds spot on. Replicates the sound of what goes into it perfectly, every little nuance of your playing comes through which is something I've never experienced like this before. So if you'd like to know what it'll sound like, just play your bass through headphones and cut off everything after the 2-3kHz mark. The beauty of it really is that it'll do any sound you want it to, as long as you can do it with your hands. I've got some fantastic fingerfunk sounds by rolling back the neck pick-up on my jazz a bit and pushing the preamp section on my shuttle as hard as it'll go (the amp doesn't really overdrive at all, just starts to break up subtly).

I'm starting to ramble by now so I'll try and get to the point... I'd definitely recommend the Barefaced cabs to anyone that can play... the nature of them means that you can appreciate more nuance than you've probably been able to before (maybe not, I'm not sure what you're using at the moment). I'd say that's possibly a bad thing for the likes of those bassists you sometimes see at a band-night who seem to have no authority or interest in their playing (you all know the type, probably just got encouraged to take it up by their mate so they could be in their band), because it'll be far too revealing. That sort of player's probably better just sticking to their starter package combo which allows them to "hide" a bit, but for a more experienced player such as yourself, you'll probably love it. As for compact vs super twelve, I guess it depends on your situation. There's the tweeter thing as mentioned above, which is only available on the super twelve, but if you can afford to go for a midget too at some point, or you're not bothered about a tweeter, that's a non-issue. I suspect there's not a massive amount of difference between a compact/midget set-up and a super twelve tonally. The super twelve being a 4 ohm cab is obviously a cheaper solution, and I considered it, but ended up going with the compact (and later a midget) simply because I don't drive. My band has a van and storage, so my plan was to leave the compact in with the band stuff, and then I have a midget too which is small enough to be taken on public transport, so I still have a rig I can transport around myself for musical endeavors outside of my band.

That turned out a lot longer than I intended it to be .

Quote by TrailOfMe
Don't have a photo at the moment but I have been gigging with only Line6 X3 Pro for years now. Sometimes I use FBV Express mini pedal but not always even that. I've always wondered why use big pedal boards and full stacks. Don't tell me it's the sound, no one in the audience can tell any difference during live shows.

I hope I don't get bashed too badly for this comment

There are things you can do with a pedal board that you can't do with a multi-effects pedal. For example, running a parallel signal chain. I'm currently working on a pedal board that allows me to split into three signals, and then put them back together again, so I can run an independent high-passed overdriven signal and an independant low-passed fuzz signal underneath my clean signal for a "tri-amp" sort of sound (without three amps). As for nobody in the audience being able to tell a difference, I disagree entirely. Why don't you just buy a Kala U-bass and plug it straight into the desk, then?
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Feb 24, 2012,