So I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top. Pretty little guitar, but the pickups are really rather weak.

I'm playing it into a Mesa Stiletto Ace, and I can get a hot rodded Classic Rock tone, but I want to try and push it up into more modern territory. For anyone with experience with the amp, do you think EMG's could do the trick? I'll probably be getting an OD/booster sometime too.

If you have no experience with the Stiletto, have you ever changed out your pickups? I'm not going to do it myself, but would you recommend changing to EMG's? I was probably going to go for an 81 and an 85, because I want a hotter neck (as opposed to a 60).

I play metal, and a bit of blues. I love Zakk Wylde's tone, and modern metal tones in general. Don't ask for a budget, we're talking about pickups here, they're not that expensive.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

If you want the emg sound, then go for it. Personally, i think blackouts blackouts sound a bit better, but only because i like the scooped mids it gives. If you want more of a harsh growl, go for some hot wound passives by a company like Seymour Duncan. If you still want actives you should check out Lace Sensor, as they do good pickups (and now actives). Theyre also good for passives. Lundgren do good passives, as do Bareknuckle pickups. Really, the best thing to do is to either try the pickups out at a shop or something, or check out the soundbytes on the companies website. Im pretty much ranting at this point, but i hope this helps
i switched out the stock pick ups on my LP custom for emg 81/85 (running at 18v) and i really liked them.
but then i decided to switch to a JB/'59 combo for something less high gain - more "natural" i guess i was looking for..
6 months later i'm back to the emg 81/85 (running at 18v)
i know some people bash emgs but i'm more than happy with them.
Not interested in scooped mids at all, haha. It is a Stiletto after all, if I scooped the mids I wouldn't have an amp. Not looking for a harsh growl either, well maybe for a neck pickup..... but not for bridge. I want a smooth, super distorted sound. Screaming, some might say.

I do hope to try out some pickups with the amp though, see how they play.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

I have the 60/81, and I don't really like the 81 in the bridge. But the 60 is great, it kinda gives you a Jimmy Page type tone (IMO). Haven't tried the 85, and the H4 isn't my cup of tea.
The 85 is pretty good in the bridge. I love the 81 and 60 combination in my Schecter Tempest, I've swapped the 85 and 81 combo in and out of a couple of guitars, and I also have a Blackout AHB-1 in my Alexi-600. All of them sound fantastic.

Both EMGs and Blackouts are great pickups. You'll need to shape your EMGs a bit, if you want to get an organic tone, or run them at 18v. Blackouts, however, come flavoured with SD tone out of the box. EMGs aren't sterile or artificial; they're just a completely blank canvas.