I am writing a song in the key of A.

A B C# D E F# G# A.

But, I ran into a problem.

I am using a E7aug9 Hendrix Chord
(E, G#, D, G)

Would the G# or G be the accidental? Is it just relative to the key? Could I switch it into the key of D?

Thanks!
-Zach
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
I believe G would be the accidental. And can you switch into the key of...

YES!

Music is wonderful that way. From the key of A, though? Moving to D is no problem at all. You just need a transition chord, and your E7aug9 should work marvelously.
Awesome!! Thanks again!
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
Technically, the chord would be written as comprising of E G# B D and Fx (F double-sharp), given that it's the major ninth (F#) which is being raised another half-step in this instance, rather than having two thirds (a major, G#, and minor, G).

Out of interest, an A7add13 (voiced A G C# F#) to follow up your E7#9 gravitates very nicely to a tonal center of D, a perfect fourth from your original key.
Last edited by juckfush at Feb 19, 2012,
This isn't a "problem". Harmony doesn't have to be diatonic to the scale of the key, however...there are certain things you may want to avoid. Resolving a V7#9 to the I isn't the nicest sound in a major key.

It's more typical in a minor resolution. Try a 7b9 instead, you may like that better.

Don't think about music as having to be diatonically within the key. Diatonic chords are the basic building block of harmony, but it only begins there. There is modal interchange, secondary dominants, extended tonicizations, all sorts of substitutions...
Hi there,

The chord you're using isn't wrong, but it may sounds a little ackwards for someone which doesn't used to hear it, on this chord you can try the melodic minor scale, in this case in the key of F(F - G - G# - A# - C - D - E), it can sound pretty cool, try it, cheers.