Hey guys,

Since I live in Australia, and here the price of amplifiers, regardless of exchange rate, is insane, i've been entertaining the thought of buying an amp from somewhere in the US (be it musicians friend, GC or otherwise). However, the mains voltage presents a problem. Since an American-bought amp would be designed for American mains power (120V @ 60Hz), and the amp would be used in Australia (240V @ 60Hz), would there be any damage/anything else deleterious if I simply used a socket adapter? Or would I need a step-down transformer?
Quote by MrChief
tbh i wanted to watch 2 girls one cup , and the website i clicked on was totally corrupt.

and the video was sick.

Current gear:
Slash Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Hiwatt G50R
BOSS ME-50
Not necessarily. What amp are you looking at?

And yes if you did you would need some kind of step down transformer. Aus is 230v, America is 110v.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Last edited by Eppicurt at Feb 19, 2012,
some amps have a switch on the back to change from 120 to 240, which is nice and handy

other than that, you'd need a transfromer
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Eppicurt
Not necessarily. What amp are you looking at?

And yes if you did you would need some kind of step down transformer. Aus is 230v, America is 110v.

possibly a jet city jca22h. according to their website, it has a "multi-tapped power transformer: 100v/120v/220v/240v and standard IEC connector"
Quote by MrChief
tbh i wanted to watch 2 girls one cup , and the website i clicked on was totally corrupt.

and the video was sick.

Current gear:
Hiwatt G50R
BOSS ME-50
Quote by awesome-o
possibly a jet city jca22h. according to their website, it has a "multi-tapped power transformer: 100v/120v/220v/240v and standard IEC connector"

If that's the case then I'd say go for it. Jet City's are great in that respect that you can select the variable voltages. I was also going to say if it was over $1,000 you'd have ridiculous shipping plus Australian customs taking your amp costing you another $200.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Most amps have power cables you can switch depending on country and the. Transformer is designed for this- when doing that I more then the plug changes (such as main power) you have to switch the wiring for the power transformer inside(easy switch of wire on pcb).

Others have switches- most don't.

Lastly some amps like peavy 6505 can not. They are not equipped with the dual stage transformer. You can tell by the fixed power cable.

My I-phone is fighting me.
Last edited by R45VT at Feb 19, 2012,
Quote by Eppicurt
If that's the case then I'd say go for it. Jet City's are great in that respect that you can select the variable voltages. I was also going to say if it was over $1,000 you'd have ridiculous shipping plus Australian customs taking your amp costing you another $200.

do you know how you'd determine the customs fees and whatnot for any individual item?
Quote by MrChief

and the video was sick.

Current gear:
Hiwatt G50R
BOSS ME-50
Quote by awesome-o
do you know how you'd determine the customs fees and whatnot for any individual item?

They'll only take it if the value of the item is over AU$1,000. And it's determined by price. JCA22's are under $1,000, so you should be fine.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Yes, you need a step down. And you'll need a bigger on depending on the wattage of the amp.

For example, I bought a triple rec head from the US a little while ago, and got a 1000W Step-down from Jaycar (about $350ish, if I recall). It may have been overkill, but you only need one transient peak to blow your $1000+ investment, so a little redundancy is good. There are a few threads on this site and others if you more info on it. If you're a bassist (like me), in the area, I feel very sorry for you...

One plus is that most australians aren't bothered to do this, and if you buy a fairly recognizable brand, like Mesa, Marshall or Fender, for example, something in most musicians' vernacular, they're not too hard to on-sell locally, sometimes even for a profit (I bought the rec for $1300 inco postage from the US, bought a mesa cab locally for $800, bought teh transformer for $350, and sold the whole thing for $3200 a few weeks later; fun way to test out some toys and make a few bucks). If you want to do it a lot, you can probably keep the transformer, but people seem more willing to buy if it's a straight plug-and-play system, rather than having to get that themselves.

Aside from all that, Egnater make amps that you can switch the voltage on, and some rackmount preamps do as well.

Sorry for the semi-off-topic rant :P
There's no customs under $2000, there's just postage.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
There's no customs under $2000, there's just postage.

From ww.customs.gov.au

Goods with a declared or assessed value over A$1,000 You will be sent a First Notice by Australia Post if you have imported goods with a declared or assessed value of more than A$1,000. In this case, you need to lodge an import declaration to Customs and Border Protection for the goods. The declaration will be assessed for duty, GST and Wine Equalisation Tax (if applicable). An import processing charge will also apply. Customs and Border Protection will advise you of the amount you need to pay before your parcel will be delivered to you. Customs and Border Protection cannot allow goods with a value over A$1,000 to be delivered by Australia Post until an import declaration is made and any liability for duty, taxes and charges is paid in full. There may also be AQIS requirements to be met before Australia Post can deliver your goods.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Oh ok, I stand corrected. I was certain it was $2000 now.
GST would be 10%. That'd be all from the States now though wouldn't it? Free trade agreement and all.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Oh ok, I stand corrected. I was certain it was $2000 now.
GST would be 10%. That'd be all from the States now though wouldn't it? Free trade agreement and all.

From what the quote stated, I'd assume GST would only be charged to you with goods over $1,000.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
I was referring to the duty part. I'm not sure what the implication of the free trade agreement has on that. I thought it would be waived but I was wrong once so I didn't feel confident enough to make any sort of definitive comment.
I'll have to make sure I keep all my orders beneath $1000. It wouldn't take a lot more than what I regularly order from the States to take me over that. I was working on the idea that it was now $2000.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I was referring to the duty part. I'm not sure what the implication of the free trade agreement has on that. I thought it would be waived but I was wrong once so I didn't feel confident enough to make any sort of definitive comment.
I'll have to make sure I keep all my orders beneath $1000. It wouldn't take a lot more than what I regularly order from the States to take me over that. I was working on the idea that it was now $2000.

Or you could do what I did with Ben getting my Matamp. Made a payment below $1,000 so he could put the cost of it under $1,000 and I had proof. Didn't make it super obvious though. Like $995 or anything.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Well in my case it would be parts so breaking it up into two orders isn't such a big deal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification