So I've been scouring the internet trying to get information on pickups and I'm just not getting the answers I need. There just seem to be too many variables that I can't wrap my head around.

Here's the background info...

My guitar that is in dire need of pickups is a Schecter 006 Deluxe. It currently has the stock Schecter dual humbuckers for that model. It has a basswood body and is tuned to Drop C. I'm trying to get a good metalcore sound from this guitar and it just isn't happening. The sound always seems to be flat. I'm convinced the pickups are the problem because I've got another guitar that I've made some great tones with since it came with better pickups. I can do all the amp modeling in the world and the Schecter is almost incapable of the sound I'm looking for. I'm looking for some tight chugging and popping mids and highs for riffing and melodies. For example, I'd like to have a similar sound to say As I Lay Dying.

Questions...

Does the wood of the body of the guitar really matter?
Do I need to replace both the bridge and the neck pickup?
Could I be wrong in wanting to get new pickups for this guitar?

Any help would be much appreciated!
1.) Yes, but not as much as you'ld expect.

2.) Most people do, but it won't hurt per say to just do one.

3.) That depends, what amp are you playing? Amps are infinitely more important then pickups/pedals/guitars in terms of overall sound quality.
well Seymour Duncan Blackouts or EMG'S will get you that type of sound. but keep in mind that they are active pickups so you will need battery's to power them and probably have to cut a battery slot in the back. so if you dont like the idea of actives id say get a Dimarzio super dist or a seymour duncan invader now the invader has a huge ballsey low end crunch. and the dimarzio super dist has more of a top end bite so its great for leads and its got a lot of crunch. now active pickslike emgs are going to make anything sound great say throw them in a 2x4 and sound like zakk wylde or a 5000 dollar les paul.

hope that helped
Quote by Androidjoey
now active pickslike emgs are going to make anything sound great say throw them in a 2x4 and sound like zakk wylde or a 5000 dollar les paul.

No way man. The EMG 81/85's in my SG were horrible. I ripped them out and put it a set of passives and there's no comparison.

You'll need to change out your pots and input jack if you go to active pickups.

Before you do anything, try your guitar on another amp first. Evaluate that tone, then make a decision.
+1

What amp are you using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
+1

What amp are you using?

A lot of great help here!

As far as my amp goes, I usually don't use one. I do all of my "amp modelling" with a Line6 TonePort UX1 and Pod Farm 2 and usually play through some high quality noise reducing headphones. If I need to use my amp, my UX1 output would go to my amp so I can still achieve the same tone. I've messed with amps, cabs, pedals, compression on Pod Farm and nothing seems to work. Am I a fool for assuming that the sound my guitar makes through headphones is representative of what it would be a through an amp?
Quote by mpedara429
A lot of great help here!
Am I a fool for assuming that the sound my guitar makes through headphones is representative of what it would be a through an amp?

Nope. Ur not a fool for thinking that. That's what modelers do. U can get in the ball park with simulated tones, but nothing going to give u the feel of a real amp - unless u spend big money on something like the AxeFx.

You'd be a fool if you swapped those pups out before you got a decent amp though.
Quote by 667
No way man. The EMG 81/85's in my SG were horrible. I ripped them out and put it a set of passives and there's no comparison.

You'll need to change out your pots and input jack if you go to active pickups.

Before you do anything, try your guitar on another amp first. Evaluate that tone, then make a decision.

Yeah i forgot that was the other reason i hated them.
The wood is what the guitar *is*. The same pickups will never sound the same in any two guitars.

Do you want to? Do you use both? Do you dislike the tone of both?

EMG's are really what you want for the tones you want to get. That said, I have no idea how good the modeling in your gear is.

If you don't want to go active (which really isn't nearly as much of a hassle as griefers will have you believe), you can get DiMarzio D Activators. They're basically passives designed to sound like actives.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X