Poll: Which color/finish do you think I should paint my Flying V project?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which color/finish do you think I should paint my Flying V project?
White
21 30%
Natural
4 6%
Dark Mahogany Stain
17 24%
Silverburst
21 30%
Other. Please specify/post pics, etc.
7 10%
Voters: 70.
Page 1 of 2
Hey all,

So I've decided I'm gonna go for it and try to convince the wife that it'd be a good idea for me to go and spend $150-200 and buy a Flying V kit. I've always wanted a V, but could never justify dropping the money on something I'm just gonna mod anyway.

My first child, one hellion of a baby boy, is due in May, and given that, I feel that it'd be cool to build an axe to coincide with his birth. I think it's a cool thing to pass down my lineage. I know, that since I'm gonna be building from a kit, that it would hold little to no monetary value, but that doesn't matter.

So, thus far, I'm in the planning stage...and I'm trying to decide on which finish to go with. I'm so indecisive, so I thought I'd make a poll for the V fans out there. I'll have my four picks, between white, a clear natural gloss, a dark mahogany stain, or silverburst; or, you can choose another option for y'all to chime in with what you think would be cool. I'd love to see some suggestions come my way!
Last edited by dkennedy88 at Feb 19, 2012,
I think a white guitar body with blackburst could be pretty cool I think. If this wouldn't be an option, make my vote count as 1 extra Silverburst instead.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Cherry or a dark mahogany stain... But definitely not Silverburst, I think it's awful.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Either go Black or;
Buy some Veneer for it and go Dark Cherry with Blackburst
All over Black with silver hardware and white scratch plate.

You'll thank me later
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
During Christmas Sam ash had some jay turser jr 24 inch scale v guitars for 50 bucks new. I couldn't resist. I plan on having my tagging buddy do graffiti art on it making it colorful. Its going to look awesome judging by the sketches. Anyways for you choose white. Its always classy. Or get a custom art work done of something that means a lot to you so your kid will look at and always think of how awesome there dad is.
fiddleback/rippled Makore veneer top (like flamed/quilted maple but brown)
mahogany stained back, clear finish,
gold hardware
Quote by Phoenix V

You'll thank me later

It'd be cool, if 1) I didn't already have 3 black guitars in the room with me as I type this, and 2) black wasn't the most common Flying V finish. I know white is just as common, but to me it's always screamed class: very pure, simple, understated--in a word, classy. If this build goes well, I'll for sure do another just like it, and if the first one isn't done in white, then the next one will definitely be done so.
Ok, so (finally) a month later, I placed the order for the Flying V kit. Gonna put it all together first to see if what mods need to be done, then set the neck, then finish. So we're about 2 weeks from even starting the finish!!
Cherry Red w/ white scratchplate. Best looking flying V colour combo.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I furiously masturbate on public transportation.
Quote by Phoenix V

You'll thank me later

Mine

A dark sunburst would be pretty interesting though
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 22, 2012,
Please please please dont burst a V. That will look awful.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Mine

A dark sunburst would be pretty interesting though

I like that. I was wanting to originally do a natural finish or a dark mahogany stain, like the Vs that Ryan Peake from Nickelback played a few years back, minus distressing it all to hell. Say what you will about that band, but the guitars he was playing when I saw them in '06 looked pretty frickin' cool.

Natural finish '98 V

Beat-up dark brown (the dark stain I was referring to)
Here's a better pic of the darker V w/ black hardware.

Looks cool as hell, but that would require a lot of upgrades. LOL
Quote by ma_tt11

+1. I remember seeing the tobacco sunburst V James Hetfield played during the Big Four shows, and thinking that it was no bueno.

The only way I'd burst a V was if there wasn't a pickguard covering most of the body. The silverburst, to me, is an exception, though, because it's so damn rare (for example, I read an article where Brent Hinds from Mastodon said that Gibson only made 2 silverburst Vs in 1979). That, and I've seen maybe five pics of '67-style Vs in such finish all over the interwebs (this excludes the V Custom).
Quote by ma_tt11

I beg to differ.

Quote by dkennedy88

Beat-up dark brown (the dark stain I was referring to)

That kinda finish is actually one of the easier finishes to do. Its just a wax sealer over a nitrocellulose lacquer.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 23, 2012,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I beg to differ.

Still not sold - maybe it's just me, but it just doesnt look right.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
So, my V came in today. Free 2-day shipping from Amazon. Time to put it together and work out all the bugs tonight
Pics please
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
What timber?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I pieced it together last night and strung it up. I guess, in case anyone's curious, it's the Saga FV-10 kit. Here's my rundown on the kit.

The screws all lined up OK, which was a good thing. I've read reviews in which people complained that nothing lined up right. For the most part, everything's ok with mine.

The neck pocket was a little rough, but still made for a tight-ish joint--no shifting or anything, but I still wanna try to improve on it. I'm gonna grab some shims to force the neck towards the bass side, since the high E string is closer to the edge than the low E, especially in the higher frets. I don't need much, maybe 1/32"-1/16".

Frets needed leveling out in some spots, no biggie. And I still need to file down the edges on the bass side (already knocked out most of the treble side).

The tuners seem a tad dry. I'll drop some oil down into the gears and see if that helps.

Haven't plugged it in or set intonation yet. I did, though, cut the nut and put on Ernie Ball .012s, and it played well after a bit of truss rod adjustment. The action is a hair high, but I have some room to work with before I resort to shims.

Quote by Cathbard
What timber?

It's basswood. At least 4 pieces, and an assload of sanding sealer, so based on the combination of the two factors, I'm thinking a translucent or natural finish is not a viable option. Sorry guys, I know, I'm sad too

So I'm thinking either Alpine White, Silverburst, or an Antique Ivory (kinda like Randy Rhoads' Les Paul). But I'm still a ways from that.

Phase one is trying to work out the kinks (action, frets, etc), phase two is setting the neck (it's bolted on right now, but set-neck Vs look cooler IMO), then phase three is finishing. I'm also looking to do a decal for the truss rod cover that'll mock the Gibson logo. I have the file, just need to print it on decal paper and apply it.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pics please

I'll take pics of the guitar once I get some free time today/tonight.
Last edited by dkennedy88 at Mar 25, 2012,
Basswood? And lots of pieces and filler? Well that's pretty uninspiring. Sounds like it needs painting to me too. I'll say candy apple red then.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, it's a damn shame. I wasn't too worried about the basswood. I figured a dark stain would be ok, but it's so obvious that we're dealing with a 5-piece body (I counted 4 seams), and the fact that there is an OBSCENE amount of sanding sealer on it that there is abso-fxckin-lutely no way a stain would take. Oh well. At least the things playing nicely now that I put my strings on it and lowered the action a tad. Doesn't sound too bad unplugged. Still gotta set the intonation, and file the rough fret edges down on the bass side.

I don't know why I never got a V before now. I always thought they'd be uncomfortable sitting down, but it's not so bad
Make it original, do something you never see on flying v's, like do it in fender colors? A lake placid blue v would be sexy! And if you're not up for that you can always paint your own design, make it yours man, don't go by the laws of man
Have fun with this build, I can't wait to see it done!
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dkennedy88
It's basswood. At least 4 pieces, and an assload of sanding sealer, so based on the combination of the two factors, I'm thinking a translucent or natural finish is not a viable option. Sorry guys, I know, I'm sad too

How about some sort of veneer on top? That way you could still do a stain, and most if not all veneers would look nicer than basswood.
Quote by thesexiestofall
Dave Grohl's Flying V Kicks-ASS...

Unlike that ugly blue Gibson Trini Lopez thing he played on the Grammys.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Quote by Mars Rover
Unlike that ugly blue Gibson Trini Lopez thing he played on the Grammys.

+1. Was it the Pelham blue one? I'm not too fond of that color on that guitar. The cherry looks MUCH better.

Quote by minnis
How about some sort of veneer on top? That way you could still do a stain, and most if not all veneers would look nicer than basswood.

I'd totally do a mahogany veneer on top and back, but since Saga had to put on a sanding sealer that is, from what I hear, next to impossible to strip, I don't know if I can. I'll be happy enough doing an opaque color.

By the way, I plugged her in 5 minutes ago. Sounds pretty good. I'm surprised at how solid the pots seem. The 3-way switch needs to be replaced, but I can't complain. I didn't even attach the bridge ground (because I'm taking it apart again to set the neck and finish), but there seems to be little to no noise (and I practice with Line 6 POD Farm into my PC). I get a buzz if I touch one screw, but that's it really I must say, I'm honestly surprised at the fact that the quality isn't too shabby at all. I'd play this thing onstage when all is said and done!

I'll post pics tonight when I get home. Gotta borrow my grandpa-in-law's truck to pick up my son's crib today. He's almost here
Sucks about the body. I had a Stagg Flying V copy that had frets coming out of the fingerboard, microphoniic pickups and a twisted neck, but strangely had a 1-piece alder body with some nice grain on it. It was the nicest thing about the guitar. I'll send it to you via airmail.

Can you sand the sanding sealer off (the irony) and then glue a maple veneer on it? If you did it that way, it would still be possible to do a trans finish or a burst on the top of the guitar and have the back and sides a solid colour.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Sucks about the body. I had a Stagg Flying V copy that had frets coming out of the fingerboard, microphoniic pickups and a twisted neck, but strangely had a 1-piece alder body with some nice grain on it. It was the nicest thing about the guitar. I'll send it to you via airmail.

Can you sand the sanding sealer off (the irony) and then glue a maple veneer on it? If you did it that way, it would still be possible to do a trans finish or a burst on the top of the guitar and have the back and sides a solid colour.

That's crazy! The body is about 5 pieces, but it resonates well, and doesn't have too bad of a tone to it. I'm not too upset about it.

Got any pics of the Stagg?
this is why you should do the silverburst

Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by dkennedy88
That's crazy! The body is about 5 pieces, but it resonates well, and doesn't have too bad of a tone to it. I'm not too upset about it.

Got any pics of the Stagg?

Yeah. It was my first guitar.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/T00DEEPBLUE/pictures/gear/976863/1075168

I scraped the paint off the inside of the pickguard (it was a bitch. The inside routing looks like it was done by a 6 year old and the paint was 2mm thick) and there was no seam that i could see.

The pickups are microphonic and the neck pocket is crooked. The pickguard has faded into a yellow-y hue.

Compared to the real deal, its not that bad looking.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/T00DEEPBLUE/pictures/gear/1070304/1075808
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 25, 2012,
Quote by jimihendrix6699
this is why you should do the silverburst

+1. Amen to that. That is one SICK guitar!

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Yeah. It was my first guitar.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/.../976863/1075168

I scraped the paint off the inside of the pickguard (it was a bitch. The inside routing looks like it was done by a 6 year old and the paint was 2mm thick) and there was no seam that i could see.

The pickups are microphonic and the neck pocket is crooked. The pickguard has faded into a yellow-y hue.

Compared to the real deal, its not that bad looking.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...1070304/1075808

Body looks to be in good shape. I can see where the neck is crooked.
Ok, so wasn't able to take pics last night (got in late and had to get up this morning), but was able to check intonation. Good news (and I'm kinda shocked by this), with the exception of the G string (since I use a wound .022 for a G), the guitar was already pretty close to perfectly intonated, with .012-.056 Ernie Balls tuned to Drop C#. I also adjusted the height of the pickups, and they sound like they can hang with my two PRS SEs and my Tele. Probably could stand new tuners and a nut though, but everything works, and the guitar is definitely playable Not too shabby for a $160 kit, huh?
Page 1 of 2