I am tired and frustrated, so this may be hard to read. ok....i bought some active emgs, 81/60. i also bought a 3 way emg switch for them. and now i have tried so many different ways of wiring this stuff and everytime i do something different, the result is the same; i get a sound out of the pickups that makes it sound like the battery is dead. i know the battery cannot be dead, i just purchased it( its a duracell btw). so...WHAT IS GOING ON! im not even sure how they are wired right now...i just want to know the correct or most correct way of wiring these pickups with this type of switch.
"I'll have 2 number nines, a number nine large, a number six with extra dip, a number seven, two number forty-fives, one with cheese, and a large soda" ~Melvin 'Big Smoke' Harris.
Quote by maggot9779
Have you tried the...ermm...EMG website? They have diagrams for their pickups.

yes i have...i have even emailed them....and the tech support guy gave me the closest diagram he could find apparently, which didnt help...
"I'll have 2 number nines, a number nine large, a number six with extra dip, a number seven, two number forty-fives, one with cheese, and a large soda" ~Melvin 'Big Smoke' Harris.
Quote by Oblivoath666
I am tired and frustrated, so this may be hard to read. ok....i bought some active emgs, 81/60. i also bought a 3 way emg switch for them. and now i have tried so many different ways of wiring this stuff and everytime i do something different, the result is the same; i get a sound out of the pickups that makes it sound like the battery is dead. i know the battery cannot be dead, i just purchased it( its a duracell btw). so...WHAT IS GOING ON! im not even sure how they are wired right now...i just want to know the correct or most correct way of wiring these pickups with this type of switch.

What do you mean that you tried so many different ways. Did you have a diagram to start with or are you just guessing?

Lets get back to basics.

Which schematic diagram did you follow? Do you have a link or a pic file you can upload of the diagram you used?

Also, which diagram did the EMG tech refer you to?
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Quote by Phoenix V
What do you mean that you tried so many different ways. Did you have a diagram to start with or are you just guessing?

Lets get back to basics.

Which schematic diagram did you follow? Do you have a link or a pic file you can upload of the diagram you used?

Also, which diagram did the EMG tech refer you to?

http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q510/oblivoath6661/?action=view&current=2emg2t1v.jpg

thats the diagram that the tech sent me.

i was using this http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/S3_B165rC_0230-0167B.pdf

and this ( diagram 6a and 6b) http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/H_0230-0106D.pdf

oh and after those didnt work i started guessing a bit....cant really remember what i guessed on though.
i had trouble fitting my emgs eventually i just took them to a local guitar store and the fitted them for £15 so just go get them fitted by some one who knows how to do it.
Quote by cip 123
i had trouble fitting my emgs eventually i just took them to a local guitar store and the fitted them for £15 so just go get them fitted by some one who knows how to do it.

yeah i was thinking that i might just do that, but if i can save the money and do it myself ill just ...well...do it myself lol.
So from that I'm guessing you have a two pickup, 2 master volume, 1 tone, 3 way switch config?

As well as the pickups and switch, did you also get yourself a 3 tab (stereo) input jack?
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Feb 19, 2012,
Quote by Phoenix V
So from that I'm guessing you have a two pickup, 2 master volume, 1 tone, 3 way switch config?

As well as the pickups and switch, did you also get yourself a 3 tab input jack?

i have 2 pickups, 1 master volume , 1 tone and 3 way switch.... input jack? do you mean the stereo output jack that comes with the pickups?
Quote by Oblivoath666
i have 2 pickups, 1 master volume , 1 tone and 3 way switch.... input jack? do you mean the stereo output jack that comes with the pickups?

Yeah the stereo jack.

Also, the tech linked you the diagram for the 2 pup, 2 tone, 1 MV schematic, which isn't the config you have. So I'm not sure what he's getting at there.

In the diagram 6B you quoted, did you cable all the components exactly as shown, including making sure the correct polarity on all your connections?

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Quote by Phoenix V
Yeah the stereo jack.

Also, the tech linked you the diagram for the 2 pup, 2 tone, 1 MV schematic, which isn't the config you have. So I'm not sure what he's getting at there.

In the diagram 6B you quoted, did you cable all the components exactly as shown, including making sure the correct polarity on all your connections?

um, probably not, whats polarity? lol

well i did all of them the same way that they are in the diagram, just not sure about polarity.
Last edited by Oblivoath666 at Feb 19, 2012,
Quote by Oblivoath666
um, probably not, whats polarity? lol

Polarity means the right way around.

For instance, in the diagram the push on connectors have a little arrow which indicates which way they connect.

Does your wiring match exactly whats on the diagram, not just visually, but electrically, including the polarity of all the wiring, push and screw connections.

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Quote by Phoenix V
Polarity means the right way around.

For instance, in the diagram the push on connectors have a little arrow which indicates which way they connect.

Does your wiring match exactly whats on the diagram, not just visually, but electrically, including the polarity of all the wiring, push and screw connections.

oh, ok , yes it does.
You sure? In your first post you mentioned you're not even sure how they are wired right now.

I'd suggest you pull the lot apart and start again, and go slow and methodical. Ensure every single connection is exactly as it should be.

If it still doesn't work, the suggestion earlier of taking it to a tech sounds like a good idea

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Feb 19, 2012,
Quote by Phoenix V
You sure? In your first post you mentioned you're not even sure how they are wired right now.

I'd suggest you pull the lot apart and start again, and go slow and methodical. Ensure every single connection is exactly as it should be.

If it still doesn't work, the suggestion earlier of taking it to a tech sounds like a good idea

ok, ill try, thanks .. if i fail again lol, ill take it to a tech...maybe even with a new switch, because this emg one is a total pain.