Hello everyone at Ultimate Guitar,

I have recently entered a band which plays at small venues like clubs and small stage's (around 100-500 people).

The thing is, i am looking for a good metal amp head + cab that can handle these venues and use it for practice with my band.
I have a schecter c-1 hellraiser floyd rose and an epiphone les paul custom.

The budget for me is about 1500-2000 US$ for the amp head + cab.

My band usually plays metal but also some hard rock style songs.
I was looking at a blackstar ht-100 or a marshall MA-100H amp head.

I hope you could help me with chosing a good amp + cab for the situation.

Rock ON!
Nothing really new but if you want a metal guitar amp you'd probably be best going with a peavy 6505. At bare minimum it would give you a ton of gain and would immediately show people (mainly, scouters) that you know your genre and are at least somewhat legitimate about getting that "metal" sound. plus on musicians friend website right now it showing up right under your 2 grand spending limit.
Ok thanks , ive looked into peavey amps and they sound amazing. I heard from other reviews that they are not very versitile, like in the clean channel. Or will they do fine?

Any other recommendations?
Why not get a peavey 5150/6505 2x12 combo? I use to have one it was beyond loud. You can get one for cheap used. I got mine for 450 used. Since your budget is pretty high you could save lots of money. Or use it to buy better speakers an od pedal a noise gate and maybe an eq pedal. That would all probably fit in your budget and be pretty killer. You'll even have enough to get it retubed with something even better then the stock. That was my rig and it sounded great. Boy do i miss it Damn bills.
Quote by jackin9
Ok thanks , ive looked into peavey amps and they sound amazing. I heard from other reviews that they are not very versitile, like in the clean channel. Or will they do fine?

Any other recommendations?

You could look into peavey's 3120 (New XXX) or XXX II (New non sig Joe Satriani amp).
These have 3 channels and are a lot more versatile.
if you wanna go the used route then look for a used jcm800, thats the amp that hard rock and most metal was built on. you should be able to get the head for no more than $1000, even that's a little steep. then just get a marshall cab somewhere and you can get the whole thing in your price range. some folks think it can't get into metal territory unless you use an OD pedal so that might be something to look into as well
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
With a $2000 budget, why is everyone suggesting Peavey amps? Seriously, you can afford a used Dual Rectifier stack for the money:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-MESA-DUAL-RECTIFIER-100W-SOLO-HEAD-106933749-i2186110.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-MESA-BOOGIE-STRAIGHT-RECTIFIER-4X12-7-522-21312-107496151-i2385245.gc

With the leftover money, buy yourself some speaker cables (required) and an OD pedal, and have fun.
you have $2000 and you're looking at hybrid blackstars and marshall MAs?

o_O

look at vht, soldano, heck even mesa, stuff like that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
... Splawn?
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
I use to have one it was beyond loud. You can get one for cheap used. I got mine for 450 used. Since your budget is pretty high you could save lots of money.(Invalid img)
Quote by gtrman2620
Is there a band who's tone you like?

This. We're just shooting in the dark until we know this. "hard rock/metal" can mean a *lot* of different things.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Splawn Nitro, a Laney Iron Heart or a Mesa 2ch Dual rec, Stiletto, Mark IV, Royal Atlantic (I have this last one and is AMAZING) and try first with a 2x12 cab , maybe Orange, Mesa, Avatar or an Emperor. If you can try them first though, you will realize which one you like more.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Feb 27, 2012,
Sorry guys maybe it wasn't that clear but i need a good amp head plus a good reliable cab for gigging! Most likely to buy a new amp + cab. for under 2000

I love metallica's tone, is that possible with a peavey 6505?
Last edited by jackin9 at Feb 21, 2012,
Look into the Mesa Boogie Mark series for metallica's tone.
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
You can do way better than a 6505 with $2000. I wouldn't even be looking at that amp for the kind of tones you want.

You could get a Mesa Dual Rectifier, easy. Possibly even a Roadster.

Maybe look into a Splawn Nitro as well.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Usually Dual Recifier heads are allready close to 2000$, depending if it is new. I am planning to buy new gear.
And i am looking for an amp head + cab for 2000$ max
If you insist on buying new, check out these.

http://www.amazon.com/Peavey-Triple-XXXTM-Guitar-Watts/dp/B0057EC26Y
http://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet-Angled/dp/B0002KZQJI

I really recommend you don't go new though. You can get much better for your money used.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ok thanks for the info.

The Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100w head is just over 1000 dollars. Is that any good?

I saw a metallica coverband using Hughes and Kettner amps and they sounded pretty legit!
Quote by jackin9
Sorry guys maybe it wasn't that clear but i need a good amp head plus a good reliable cab for gigging! Most likely to buy a new amp + cab. for under 2000

I love metallica's tone, is that possible with a peavey 6505?

Dude, the suggestions we are giving you it's what you asked for, you can get both head and cab for 2k. The strongest suggestion I can give to you is buying used so you will ged the most out of your money. Try the amps, really, try them first or do an extensive research, you are investing some serious money here.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by jackin9
Ok thanks for the info.

The Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100w head is just over 1000 dollars. Is that any good?

I saw a metallica coverband using Hughes and Kettner amps and they sounded pretty legit!

i hated the one i tried, but that's just me.

you should still be able to get a pretty good head and cab for $2000. i mean a decent 2x12 can be had for under $500. that leaves $1500 for the head.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Defintely look used if you can. A solidly build amp will last forever, I have a Mesa 50/50 power amp that's at least 15 years old and it looks and sounds brand new. On Craigslist you would have no problem getting a Dual Rec or Mark IV for between 1k - 1500. Kirk also has a signature Randall head, there's someone on ebay selling a few new ones for 900. Use the rest to buy a rectifier cab or order a custom one from somewhere like Avatar or Whitebox.
Used mark IV plus an avatar 212. Can buy the cab brand new for like $400. Should be able to score a used mark for under $1600 easily. Probably more like $1200-1400 for just the head, depending on condition.

/thread
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes