sup pit, hows it goin? i assume that most all of you write music, or have at least attempted to write a song before. have you ever found yourself completely unable to get ideas out? have you ever had a really awesome idea, but its just stuck in your head, as if someone plugged your musical hose that you use to water your creative garden with?

im sure you all have. so what have you done to help yourself? do you take a break and work on basic technique, like metronome practice, some theory studying, practice your jazz, even completely put off guitar for a few days and just listen to music, or look into new bands for inspiration, or even take some creative inducing drugs, get a girlfriend and **** her for a few days straight?

well... none of those have worked for me so far. so i come to you guys for inspiration or some simple things i can do to expand my output. iv had some great ideas for what i want to do just stuck in my head, and they are starting to mildew, i cant seem to get them out.

tl;dr
god has his foot on my creative hose and i cant water my musical garden, be my 4th dimensional plummer and get some imagination flowing.
If you're having trouble playing what you want to say, a good exercise is singing a short, simple phrase and then playing it on guitar. Gradually get more complex with it. It's also just good for general musicality.
those six word stories are helping me out. they give me inspiration. try it out.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

im sure you all have. so what have you done to help yourself? do you take a break and work on basic technique, like metronome practice, some theory studying, practice your jazz, even completely put off guitar for a few days and just listen to music, or look into new bands for inspiration, or even take some creative inducing drugs, get a girlfriend and **** her for a few days straight?

I can't do music without this.

Also, I enjoyed your plumbing metaphor. I can already feel the flow of inspiration through me.

Edit: I also find books inspiring, I imagine scenes from books and try to compose music that evokes the same imagery.

I think you need to stop thinking about music in terms of notes, chords, melodies... whatever.

Try to think about the song.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Last edited by Julz127 at Feb 19, 2012,
Quote by whalepudding
What do you mean they're stuck in your head? You mean you can't work out the notes?

i just dont know how to play the shit i am hearing. i cant sing, im completely tone deaf. i dont know what instruments to play. i dont know how i want to express myself.

i dont have specific melodies, just overall ideas for songs that i never end up doing, i just play something then stop and move on.

edit: yes^ thats exactly it. how do i spot caring so much about what im doing specifically?
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Feb 19, 2012,